"Sticky" material for backing?

This is a discussion on "Sticky" material for backing? within the Alien Gear Holsters forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; First, let me say that I love my Alien Gear holster. It's everything it's cracked up to be from comfort to warranty to gun retention. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By nedrgr21
  • 1 Post By AlienGHolsters

Thread: "Sticky" material for backing?

First, let me say that I love my Alien Gear holster. It's everything it's cracked up to be from comfort to warranty to gun retention. The problem I'm having is all mine. It's the big boy without a butt syndrome I think.

I carry with two holsters. When I have to take my gun off and on for whatever reason (usually going to work & home or when I'm relaxing in gym shorts) I use a Sticky holster. It's convenient, quick and fairly secure.

But my "out & about" holster is my AG, it's just that extra bit of security I want. The only problem I have is that the AG pulls my pants down. I'm using a gun belt a notch or two past normal non-gun tightness. It's ok when I'm up walking around, but it's pretty uncomfortable for sitting.

My Sticky holster doesn't cause nearly the amount of "extra gravity" on my pants and the only two things that are different are the clips and the backing material. The clips aren't negotiable, though I've thought about trying the leather straps. But what about if I put some sort of "sticky" material on the smooth leather on the body side of the AG to help hold it in place?

Has anyone ever thought about this or done it? Suggestions for material and fastening method?

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    no bites yet huh?

The problem I see here is so few things bond well to leather. whatever it is going to have to be sewn or riveted on. The only glues I know of that will bond to leather are so hard and aggressive they're gonna trash your holster....

Ask Alien Gear what they think?
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Distinguished Member
    +1 on asking Alien Gear - I bet they would have some suggestions.

Other than that, you can try to adjust the location of where you carry a little. I have noticed that an inch or two one way or the other can make a big difference for me depending on which holster I am using. When I use a classic hybrid holster I end up at about 4:00. When I use my Remora with something like gym shorts I am closer to 3:30 or even 3:00. The difference is how the holster is canted and exactly how it 'hugs' my body.

Suede or moleskin might work.
    I've had great results using 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive on all kinds of leather projects.
    Amazon.com: 3M 77 Super Multipurpose Adhesive Aerosol, Clear 16.75 Oz. Aerosol Can: Industrial & Scientific
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Ahem, Remora Holsters sells the sticky material in rolls - take a look on their website. Hopefully, when you splice the two together your holster doesn't blow up and there won't be any fights in your holster drawer.
    3rdegree and sammeow like this.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I started a thread on this a while back. I used Remora sticky tape on my Alien Gear holster. The tape can be heated with a hair dryer, and it hasn't shown any signs of loosening at all. The grippy tape makes a big difference in the holster not slipping.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Suspenders

Thanks all. I was hoping Alien Gear would see this post.

Thanks for the Remora tape advice, I really appreciate the tip.

Easy8, I sometimes wear suspenders under my shirt but it's a PITA.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm66 View Post
    First, let me say that I love my Alien Gear holster. It's everything it's cracked up to be from comfort to warranty to gun retention. The problem I'm having is all mine. It's the big boy without a butt syndrome I think.

I carry with two holsters. When I have to take my gun off and on for whatever reason (usually going to work & home or when I'm relaxing in gym shorts) I use a Sticky holster. It's convenient, quick and fairly secure.

But my "out & about" holster is my AG, it's just that extra bit of security I want. The only problem I have is that the AG pulls my pants down. I'm using a gun belt a notch or two past normal non-gun tightness. It's ok when I'm up walking around, but it's pretty uncomfortable for sitting.

My Sticky holster doesn't cause nearly the amount of "extra gravity" on my pants and the only two things that are different are the clips and the backing material. The clips aren't negotiable, though I've thought about trying the leather straps. But what about if I put some sort of "sticky" material on the smooth leather on the body side of the AG to help hold it in place?

Has anyone ever thought about this or done it? Suggestions for material and fastening method?
    Hello there. We apologize for the delayed response to your thread. We will pass the "sticky" material idea to our research and development. Have you tried adjusting your holster yet? How about trying those leather loops? If you are still having issues with your holster, let us know :)
    Norm66 likes this.
    Alien Gear Holsters
    208-215-2046
    http://aliengearholsters.com/

Thanks for the response. I've adjusted my holster to the lowest in the front and middle in the back. This seems to be the best place for me both for the pants and quickly accessing my gun. I've not tried the leather straps, but I'll get some on order here soon.

Do let me know what the R&D folks say about sticky stuff on the back side. I'm hesitant to try it because I don't want residue left on my holster if it doesn't work out. Besides, the stuff says it's not for contact with the skin. Of course I could put it on the front of the leather or even the shell.....hmmmm......