Metal or plastic clips

Metal or plastic clips

This is a discussion on Metal or plastic clips within the Alien Gear Holsters forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; I was in the process of ordering my alien gear holster and when selecting which clips I wanted it said the plastic clips were recommended. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Metal or plastic clips

Post Metal or plastic clips

I was in the process of ordering my alien gear holster and when selecting which clips I wanted it said the plastic clips were recommended. This goes against my natural tendancy to trust plastic over metal. Does anyone know why alien gear would recommend plastic clips over metal? I know they say that if anything breaks they will replace it but to recommend plastic over metal I'm just a little confused. Anyone have the plastic clips or know why they would recommend them?

Ex Member
    The only 'clips' I am aware of are metal, M1 GARAND. If you mean magazines, both are used and if given the choice I ALWATS go with metal. Most times you don't have a choice. Welcome!

I don't have any experience with Alien Gear holsters but the Kydex clips on my Comp-Tac holsters are my favorite. I had metal clips on a Crossbreed which put some holes in my cover shirts. The kydex clips have held up for years of use without breaking and work well in my opinion. Some people have reported them breaking however. I don't know but I have seen multiple cases of it happening. Unlikely to happen with the metal ones. Advantages and disadvantages to both.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    The only 'clips' I am aware of are metal, M1 GARAND. If you mean magazines, both are used and if given the choice I ALWATS go with metal. Most times you don't have a choice. Welcome!
    Easy now... OP is asking about belt clips for a hybrid holster, not magazines for a firearm.

To the OP: I'm not sure why they would recommend the plastic clips, but out of the two choices, I prefer metal.

1 Old, kind of jumped the gun there my friend. Welcome to the forum samurai, I have an Alien Gear holster with metal clips and they have functioned well for me with zero problems for over a year now. They are just like most of the metal clips on most of the hybrid holsters on the market and when I purchased the holster they were the only clips offered, guess I should go and look at these new plastic clips on their webpage. Alien Gear has served me well, super comfortable once the leather breaks any and I highly recommend them to all.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Oh and my Mosin and Sks also like metal clips for their magazines......yeah it gets confusing, more so when I remove the sks metal fixed magazine and replace it with a detachable polymer magazine that I can also load with the metal clips. I think I gave myself a headache there.
    Stoveman likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Sponsor
    While metal clips are extremely secure, the can and do mar the belt and can damage clothing. Most metal clips are generically sized, too big or too small, unless the holster maker has them custom made.

Kydex clips can be made to specific sizes easily and work very well in most situations. Kydex is kind to belts and clothes but prone to stress fracture and will eventually break at the the flex point.

Injection molded plastic clips are more difficult to make in custom sizes, but are typically made in better sizes than the metal clips since it is only the huge increase in holster production that has fueled the rise of these clip's popularity. They can be stronger/longer lived than Kydex, nearly as secure as metal and much easier on the belt and clothing than the metal offerings.

Without having a sample of the clips in question, I can't offer any opinion on which would be the better choice.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by samurai315 View Post
    I was in the process of ordering my alien gear holster and when selecting which clips I wanted it said the plastic clips were recommended. This goes against my natural tendancy to trust plastic over metal. Does anyone know why alien gear would recommend plastic clips over metal? I know they say that if anything breaks they will replace it but to recommend plastic over metal I'm just a little confused. Anyone have the plastic clips or know why they would recommend them?
    We recommend the plastic clips because the metal clips are more prone to getting caught on your shirt, which can cause holes. Also, the plastic clips won't scratch furniture, such as leather. The plastic clips are very durable and are covered under our warranty.
    ShooterGranny and Pete63 like this.

They also offer leather loops separately. I have them for both of my Alien Gear Holsters and really like them. I'll have to order plastic clips on the next one just to see how they work.
    AlienGHolsters likes this.
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    Springfield XD40
    Ruger GP100

I vote metal. I have holsters with both I just trust the metal ones a bit more and they feel like better quality.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Do the plastic "j" clips then hang the weight of the gun/holster off your pants, and not the Belt?

well they clip on the outside of your belt. I got mine with the plastic and they work just fine. They will cause less wear and tear on your belt and pants.

VIP Member
    I have the metal clips but upon seeing I can get the plastic ones I am going to order them immediately. Funny timing about this. I was putting on my Alien Gear holster this morning and had a tough time getting the clips "right" so I put on a OWB holster instead. I really like their holster (MY holster now :) but the stiff metal clips can be a bugger to work with. Just my .02 with my slightly arthritic fingers.
    sickpirate likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

SHTF gear sells leather snap loops with a kydex backing for hybrid holsters.

DC member chiefjason also sells them on ebay with a leather backing instead of kydex. http://www.ebay.com/itm/321393056252...84.m1555.l2649
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

The only problem I have ever had with plastic clips, and they were J clips, was they barely squeeze onto the bottom of my Wilderness belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast