Just Did Something Really Stupid

This is a discussion on Just Did Something Really Stupid within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Recently, I've had some rust issues W/ one of my guns (RIA 1911) so I walked over to the gun safe pulled it out, walked ...

Thread: Just Did Something Really Stupid

Just Did Something Really Stupid

Recently, I've had some rust issues W/ one of my guns (RIA 1911) so I walked over to the gun safe pulled it out, walked to the kitchen table, and put the slide to soak in some Hoppe's.

My stupid mistake?

Picked up the weapon W/out clearing it. I realized my mistake halfway to the kitchen

That may not sound like a big deal but little lapses like that are how ND's happen

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    ( really meain terrorist dude in Under Siege 2)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So make a thread about extreme testing of your self defense ammo!

BTW I did something really stupid recently and I am still waiting to see if I get caught or if the angels kept me safe.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

OK, you at least had the presence of mind to realize your brain fart after the fact. Don't beat yourself up too badly for it, just LEARN from it! (Like the rest of us, present company specifically included.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Recently, I've had some rust issues W/ one of my guns (RIA 1911) so I walked over to the gun safe pulled it out, walked to the kitchen table, and put the slide to soak in some Hoppe's.

My stupid mistake?

Picked up the weapon W/out clearing it. I realized my mistake halfway to the kitchen

That may not sound like a big deal but little lapses like that are how ND's happen

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    ( really meain terrorist dude in Under Siege 2)
    I had a rust problem with my RIA compact,seemed body sweat was causing rust,actually rusted the hammer pin to the frame,had to use a punch and hammer to free it.I refinished it with gunkote
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

So learn from your experience.....and move on....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You can survive breaking 1 rule, sounds like you followed the others, chalk it up as a "Learning Opportunity” and don't dwell on it.

I was working at a gunshop and a regular brought several guns in to put on consignment, one a tricked out AR. Everyone in the shop handled it before I got it to enter into the book, I pulled back the charging handle and a live round came out and clanked on the glass top of a display case. It got REAL quiet and everyone had the classic “OH FUDGE” look on their faces. 1 rule violated but by keeping bugger hooks off the bang switch no one was hurt. It happens; just remember it and YOU will be the safe one in a crowd.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 16th, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Hey Treo good advice from these folks as to learning and moving on.
    My neighbor has 2 sons that are NJ policeman. So I asked him if either had to shoot or been shot at.
    He said his son was grazed in the head by another policeman cleaning his gun at the station. Murphy's law is always lurking.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    You can survive breaking 1 rule, sounds like you followed the others, chalk it up as a "Learning Opportunity” and don't dwell on it.

I was working at a gunshop and a regular brought several guns in to put on consignment, one a tricked out AR. Everyone in the shop handled it before I got it to enter into the book, I pulled back the charging handle and a live round came out and clanked on the glass top of a display case. It got REAL quiet and everyone had the classic “OH FUDGE” look on their faces. 1 rule violated but by keeping bugger hooks off the bang switch no one was hurt. It happens; just remember it and YOU will be the safe one in a crowd.
    And people wonder why gun stores have "No Loaded Weapons" signs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Everyone in the shop handled it before I got it to enter into the book, I pulled back the charging handle and a live round came out and clanked on the glass top of a display case.
    Those are the kinds of experiences that make the bile rise in your throat.

Well, you must have paid attention to rule # 2 and # 3.... muzzle control and keeping your finger off the trigger until you plan to shoot. So, good deal there. Now, just work on remembering rule # 1 ... all guns are loaded.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I had a similar experience myself when I started out back then. Before heading to work on the ship at the base, I always unload and lock up my guns before leaving them at home. One time I was about to load both my pistols before going to bed, I saw a round eject out of the chamber from one of the handguns as I racked the slide to chamber a round. I have forgotten to unchamber a round from one of the pistols that morning. From now on, because of this experience, I make sure I open and lock the slide back to inspect each handgun, as I pick it up, to ascertain that there is no loaded round in the chamber. Again, it is always good to exercise gun safety such as treating a gun as if it is loaded, safety always on, finger off the trigger, and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. You never know if you forgot to unload the chamber one day.

Links