Need Help Getting My G/F on target

This is a discussion on Need Help Getting My G/F on target within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Recently got my g/f a new smith and wesson 642 w/ crimson laser and took her to the range after she hasnt been out for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Getting My G/F on target

Need Help Getting My G/F on target

Recently got my g/f a new smith and wesson 642 w/ crimson laser and took her to the range after she hasnt been out for month. She loves to shoot and was getting really good for a while with a .22 untill we had to stop going as much do to time restraints.

While we were there I noticed that she was pushing the gun down as she was pulling the trigger causing her to hit about 10+ inches low on the target and sometimes not hitting at all. This was totally out of the ordinary for her and no matter what I tried to tell her and what she tried to do on her own she couldnt stop herself from doing it. I dunno if it was just a really bad day at the range, really out of practice or what.

This brings me to my question, Does anyone have any tips that I can tell her to try and steady her hand and bring her back on target??? I would appreciate all and any tips.

2. Remove Ads

tell her to lean forward.

oh so many things can cause that. the most common:
    1) holding the gun wrong. adjust the gun in her hand so that when she pulls the trigger, she pulls it straight back, and not to any angle (such as down and to the left as most do
    2) shes flinching. was she doing this with the 22 as well? although i have seen lots of people do it with 22s. practice dry firing a TON at home. even if she isnt flinching, dry firing is the best practice.
    if she is flinching when shooting but not when firing do ball and dummy drills.. or whatever u call it with a revolver.. put ammo in some and not in others so she doesnt know whether or not it will go of. you will see her flinch a mile if thats her problem

you say she has laser grips... thats a VERY easy way to see whats going on. what happens when she dry fires with the laser on? do you see the laser dot move down? was she using the laser when shooting or sites or both?
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    2) shes flinching. was she doing this with the 22 as well? although i have seen lots of people do it with 22s. practice dry firing a TON at home. even if she isnt flinching, dry firing is the best practice.
    +1 Moving up from the .22 to the 642 is an adjustment. First of all, it's an airweight, so more perceived recoil. Secondly, DAO means it's a stiff trigger pull. Both contribute to wanting to jerk the revolver down.

One last theory, maybe she has watched too many old westerns.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    What is so simple to say can be so hard for some to do.
    Line up sights with target and hold gun completely still as you pull the trigger.
    See nothing to it.
    Serious have her slow down, really slow, get a good sight picture and pull the trigger as slow as she possibly can.
    The laser will tell you what she's doing that is causing the trouble.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

TAPE up her wrist ... totally... making it so she cannot bend it... now... shoot.
    Or, buy her a $6 wrist brace with a steel rod in it that will accomplish the same thing.

Let her develop the 'strength', the muscle memory and habit... then do away with it.

Yes she was doing the same with the .22, im not sure if she was using the laser alone or the laser w/ the sight together ill have ask her. we did some dry firing at home after the fact. Kind of ***** backwords i know my mistake, but i did notice that she as going down some when she pulled the trigger i just cant tell if it was flinching, bad hand position or both.

Thanks for all the advice so far i will deffinatly give them all a try. At least i have her out there shooting though, thats the biggest step down.

If the geometry of the gun allows it, during dry firing balance a penny on the barrel or top strap. The challenge is to keep the penny from falling off during the trigger stroke, meanwhile keeping the laser dot on a fixed point on the <safe> backstop. Practice, practice, practice.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Listen, she is doing what we call dipping. She is anticipating the recoil and compensating for the muzzle rise by pushing down as she pulls the trigger. The 642 is very difficult to shoot for even a seasoned shooter. Additionally, believe it or not she will respond to someone elses instruction better than yours, I see it all the time. You need to find something she can shoot well and that inspires confidence or she will not be shooting long.

Thank you everyone for your advice

Listen, she is doing what we call dipping
    I thought that Involved a can of Skoal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Listen, she is doing what we call dipping. She is anticipating the recoil and compensating for the muzzle rise by pushing down as she pulls the trigger. The 642 is very difficult to shoot for even a seasoned shooter. Additionally, believe it or not she will respond to someone elses instruction better than yours, I see it all the time. You need to find something she can shoot well and that inspires confidence or she will not be shooting long.
    ^^^^YEP^^^^^^

She sounds somewhat gunshy, from recoil of the 642.
    you need to get her a heavy revolver with regular ball ammo to shoot ; no Hopped up stuff ie;+p or the like.
    My 16yr. old daughter began showing an interesst in shooting pistols last fall, and I began going over the basics with her on my Dan wesson 15-2VH(vented heavy barrel), with a 6 inch barrel. Hardly any percieved recoil, and she does fine.JMHO

We live in an age when pizza gets to your home before the police.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    Like learning to drive a manual transmission car or truck, it is sometimes best to have a non-significant other work with skills.

Is it possible to get her shooting from a rest before you go much further?

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Like learning to drive a manual transmission car or truck, it is sometimes best to have a non-significant other work with skills.
    Exactly. Many people, especially those we are close to feel a need to please you and it makes learning much harder. Plus someone who is not connected to her can give her a more objective training session. I have taught many ladies how to shoot, and they are without question the easiest students. They do not have to unlearn bad habits and do not come with all that macho bullcrap notion that they already know how to shoot. I have had way too many male students who thought knowing certain things because it was their birthright as a man. Also remember that not everyone has a teachers heart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links