Near disaster

This is a discussion on Near disaster within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; This should serve as a reminder to all of us. Yesterday I was in a local gun shop looking for holsters. There were several people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Near disaster

Near disaster

This should serve as a reminder to all of us. Yesterday I was in a local gun shop looking for holsters. There were several people in there as well as three employees. One employee was helping a guy who wanted to trade in a small caliber auto pistol. As I stepped to the counter to check out , the other guy and employee stepped behind the counter to look up the gun value for trade in. The employee sat down at his desk and proceeded to look up the gun on the internet. As he was doing this he was looking the gun over and I heard the slide being racked. The employee proceeded to point the gun down and away and pulled the trigger. You guessed it. BANG!. Everybody in there did the ol drop jaw! Scared us all to death!! The stunned employee said I thought you said you checked this thing! The owner swore he racked the slide several times before he brought it into the store and it was unloaded.
    I guess the round must have been stuck in the chamber and the ejector could not pull it out. Let's all be careful out there and stick your finger in the port and physically check for a round in chamber!
    Anybody else have any of these scary stories to relate?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by got2hav1 View Post
    This should serve as a reminder to all of us. Yesterday I was in a local gun shop looking for holsters. There were several people in there as well as three employees. One employee was helping a guy who wanted to trade in a small caliber auto pistol. As I stepped to the counter to check out , the other guy and employee stepped behind the counter to look up the gun value for trade in. The employee sat down at his desk and proceeded to look up the gun on the internet. As he was doing this he was looking the gun over and I heard the slide being racked. The employee proceeded to point the gun down and away and pulled the trigger. You guessed it. BANG!. Everybody in there did the ol drop jaw! Scared us all to death!! The stunned employee said I thought you said you checked this thing! The owner swore he racked the slide several times before he brought it into the store and it was unloaded.
    I guess the round must have been stuck in the chamber and the ejector could not pull it out. Let's all be careful out there and stick your finger in the port and physically check for a round in chamber!
    Anybody else have any of these scary stories to relate?
    I never take anyone's word that a gun is not loaded until I check it myself, Ever!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Blame should fall on the employee as well. He had the responsibility to check for himself that the gun was unloaded before pulling the trigger.

The stunned employee said I thought you said you checked this thing!
    No excuse for this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I never take anyone's word that a gun is not loaded until I check it myself, Ever!
    Even if I watch them check it, the FIRST thing I do is check it myself once in my possession.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Yep! I was working behind the counter once, at a local gun shop, and I was showing a 5" XD45 to a customer. I proceeded to clear (racked the slide) the weapon and a live round dropped out and hit the glass counter.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by got2hav1 View Post
    This should serve as a reminder to all of us.
    Checking the chamber is certainly one of those times when stickin' the finger in there has no useful substitute.

Good reminder, indeed. Thanks.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    All guns are always loaded. No, really, they are.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member

yup--- use your fingers

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Checking the chamber is certainly one of those times when stickin' the finger in there has no useful substitute.

Good reminder, indeed. Thanks.
    Agree, lock the slide back and look carefully. Run your finger nail or the tip of a small screw driver in there if you are not absolutely certain. Push a pipe cleaner into the receiver to make sure nothing is blocking passage.

I think we have probably all experienced at least a few instances where we thought something was ejected and it wasn't.

Did the shell casing eject?

Exactly. In all of my years as an electrician, I've never taken anyone's word about a circuit being dead. I check it myself, countless times it's saved my life. Responsibility for myself and what I'm doing falls upon me and nobody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    Did the shell casing eject?
    To be honest with you I don't recall. I was to stunned to notice what went on after the round went off. I don't remember hearing it hit the floor.

I think this is an example of how people get shot with unloaded guns.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Yup. We all know what "assume" gets you.

One of my fellow 4-H Instructors handed me a gun that he had just checked. I watched him. When he handed it to me, I dropped the mag, racked back the slide and checked the chamber. It was completely unloaded. My friend said, "Whats the matter, don't you trust me?" I said, "Nope." He was a little miffed but eventually understood. I sure can't teach my kids to be safe if I don't follow the basic safety rules, and no, I don't trust others with a firearm - don't care who it is. I will always check.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Blame should fall on the employee as well. He had the responsibility to check for himself that the gun was unloaded before pulling the trigger.

No excuse for this.
    I would argue that the majority of the blame should fall on the employee. IMNSHO, responsibility for the safe operation and care of a firearm passes to the person who is in possession of said firearm, regardless of who possessed it last. Thus endeth the sermon.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    I don't trust anyone clearing a gun. I can watch a store employee clear a counter gun and hand it to me. I still clear it again myself before I'm satisfied it's safe.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links