Familiarity and complacency are a deadly combination. - Page 2

Familiarity and complacency are a deadly combination.

This is a discussion on Familiarity and complacency are a deadly combination. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by Win73 More people are killed by .22's than any other caliber. Please cite your sources....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Win73 View Post
    More people are killed by .22's than any other caliber.
    Please cite your sources.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Sure, some have a rule that they never store their guns loaded but I know that we have a number of loaded firearms in our safe.
    In thinking about this, it occurs to me that a gun in a safe probably doesn't need to be in condition one. It's in a safe. I store my shotgun loaded and safety off, but it still needs a rack to load the chamber.

The failure here was that the guy swept himself with the muzzle. No matter how you handle your guns, you shouldn't be sweeping yourself under any circumstances unless cleaning them. Even a ND in moving rifles should not have been a problem if this owner had followed basic rule number 2 of firearm safety. So once again we see a tragedy resulting from violating the basic rules. They are not kind suggestions - they are rules you have to internalize and follow as naturally as breathing.

One thing I noticed pretty fast was every one of them was loaded that he handed me. I politely told him he was handing me loaded firearms
    That blows my mind. The only way to hand a firearm to someone is to very clearly and deliberately show them that you have made the weapon safe, open the action, ensure they see it is safe, then hand it over with the muzzle in a safe direction. It's the little things like this that are so important. It shows respect to others and underscores your commitment to safe handling, and tells others that you expect safe handling from them, too.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Sorry I can't cite a source. With me it is also one of those things that I have heard and read for years.
    (Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Perfectly put Shockwave. I get annoyed ...maybe even a little aggrevated...when someone hands me a gun to look at and doesn't go through the proper procedure to make sure its clear. Or the hand me a handgun barrel first.

Better yet...how about when a guy just comes off the range into the store/common area after firing...and twirls his handgun on his finger like he's some cowboy from the wild west! Happened last week. I about went off on him. I dont think he'll be allowed back because of that. The place I go takes safety VERY seriously.

VIP Member
    There may be many more shot with a .22 but this does not equate to fatal shootings.

This table from the FBI although not current is a tabulation of officers killed by caliber.
    It does not support the belief that more people are killed by .22 cal. if police officers killed can be considered as an average cross section.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/killed/2004/table34.htm
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

The failure here was that the guy swept himself with the muzzle. No matter how you handle your guns, you shouldn't be sweeping yourself under any circumstances unless cleaning them.
    The only way to hand a firearm to someone is to very clearly and deliberately show them that you have made the weapon safe, open the action, ensure they see it is safe, then hand it over with the muzzle in a safe direction. It's the little things like this that are so important. It shows respect to others and underscores your commitment to safe handling, and tells others that you expect safe handling from them, too.
    Thanks for those, shockwave. I knew I shouldn't just toss my loaded gun to someone but I'll be adding some version of that last one to my mental recitation of the 4 rules.
    When I start to carry for real I will update this to something awesome and clever. Or at least different.

"Zhen ta ma yao ming. Zhu yi". - Wash

I was at a friends house a few weeks ago- he wanted to show me his new SKS. He handed it to me saying "Its not loaded". As soon as I got a hold of it, I pulled back the charging handle to see a full magazine of 7.62 staring up at me. "Bull**** its not". There wasn't a round in the chamber, but it still irked me pretty good. That is why you ALWAYS check, then double check, then put a finger in the chamber; YOURSELF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links