Familiarity and complacency are a deadly combination.

This is a discussion on Familiarity and complacency are a deadly combination. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Familiarity and complacency are a deadly combination. This is another prime example of what happens when you don't follow proper gun safety procedures. Man accidentally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Familiarity and complacency are a deadly combination.

This is another prime example of what happens when you don't follow proper gun safety procedures.

Man accidentally killed while moving rifles

ONALASKA, Wash. -- A 43-year-old man was killed Monday afternoon when he was accidentally shot while moving rifles.

Lewis County sheriff officials said the man was moving several rifles out of a gun safe when a bolt from one of the guns caught the trigger of a .22-caliber rifle and fired the weapon.

The round hit the man in the abdomen, and a contractor who was working at the victim's house at the time called 911.

Medics rushed to the house in the 100 block of Hogue Road north of Onalaska, but the man died before he was able to be airlifted to a hospital.

His name has not been released.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

A sad reminder to never drop the guard when handling deadly weapons...

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Been a lot of people killed with .22's lately.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Well to be fair, it says 22 caliber. Lot of different rounds in that bullet size.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I had a guy once shot laterally in the arm with a 22LR from about 10 feet away. The bullet traversed the shoulder and went into the chest cavity. By the time we got on scene he was DRT (that's Dead Right There, a term you won't hear in non EMS circles much) with a large amount of frothy red fluid cascading down from his nose into his lap. Basically, the bullet went into one or both lungs and nicked an artery. Guy sat down on the sofa and died.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A .22 just about did Pres. Reagan in, if you recall.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I have seen it happen time and time again at the range and the gun store. One time, I scolded a customer for dryfiring his snubbie revolver, prior to taking the gun safety course, at everyone's direction. Who knows if there may be a round in that revolver. Again, be alert even at the gun store and range. And don't be afraid to correct someone on the spot. It is something not to play around and if an accident makes front page news, it adds fuel to the anti-gun movement and puts all of us in a bad light.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    i recently went to a friends house and he started showing me his guns. One thing I noticed pretty fast was every one of them was loaded that he handed me. I politely told him he was handing me loaded firearms, he did nt know or care one. Made me leary. It is often taken for granted, but one time will kill someone!
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I worked at a gun shop and a good customer (who was quite well off) had bought a gun collection from an estate and brought in "excess" inventory to sell on consignment on orders from the boss. He had a number of handguns, several rifles including 2 tricked out ARs and everyone in the store (2 other employees and ~6 customers) were looking at everything while I entered them in the acquisition book. I got one of the ARs and as I pulled the charging handle back and checked the chamber there was the unmistakable sound of a round hitting glass . The round was in the chamber but I don't think the extractor had engaged the rim as the round just fell out so it was unlikely in battery. BUT STILL!!!!

It got real quiet, I looked around the shop and asked "How many of you handled this rifle and NO ONE checked the chamber!?!?!?!? About 10 experienced shooters and everyone was complacent in their gun handling.

GM
    Very sad.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Reminds me of a situation where a customer at the gun store back in Colorado, won't say which one... but they received a 1911 from an employee, and proceeded to attempt a "dry fire" against the wall. Apparently, well, that was the gun that the store owner carried that morning, and he never cleared it.

It went through the hands of 3 people, two of them being NRA certified RSO's, one of them being an NRA instructor, before that bullet went through and left a .45 sized hole in the wall.

I just hope I never settle into complacency... it's a BAD, BAD place to be. It IS possible to be too smart for your own good.
    --Kevin
    Daily carry: Government 1911
    TN Permit holder, NRA Certified RSO
    "When seconds matter, the police are only minutes away. Don't be reactive, be proactive" - Kevin Miracle
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    That is a very unfortunate accident but I'm not sure how the bolt of one of his firearms hitting the trigger of another firearm makes him overly careless. Maybe he forgot to put on a safety and if he had done so he'd still be alive but it's not like he was playing with it. A bolt from a separate firearm hit the trigger. That is one in a million right there.

Sure, some have a rule that they never store their guns loaded but I know that we have a number of loaded firearms in our safe.

How would it not be careless?

Either he KNEW it was loaded and attempted to transport more than one loaded rifle at a time, in one hand or what/however, or he DIDN'T know it was loaded, because he neglected or forgot to check, which in and of itself is careless.

Heck... I keep MY rifles loaded, but I never attempt to transport more than one per hand, and I always, always, always clear it before I move them... maybe it's a force of habit, but that's just how I am with my stuff.

It's never careless to care too much.

This IS carelessness at it's worse.
    --Kevin
    Daily carry: Government 1911
    TN Permit holder, NRA Certified RSO
    "When seconds matter, the police are only minutes away. Don't be reactive, be proactive" - Kevin Miracle
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Been a lot of people killed with .22's lately.
    More people are killed by .22's than any other caliber.
    (Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Win73 View Post
    More people are killed by .22's than any other caliber.
    I'm wondering, do you have the resource that verifies that statement? I've heard it for years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links