Made me very nervous :/

This is a discussion on Made me very nervous :/ within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My future-half-brother-in-law (my girlfriend's sister's fiancé - getting married June 12) made me very nervous yesterday... Over this past Spring Break we both went with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made me very nervous :/

Made me very nervous :/

My future-half-brother-in-law (my girlfriend's sister's fiancé - getting married June 12) made me very nervous yesterday...

Over this past Spring Break we both went with my girlfriend's/his fiancé's family to Indiana. He recently became the owner of a Hi-point 9mm for $70. It really sucks... We put about 198 rounds through it with many problems, such as stove-piping and the slide not going forward all the way (it would leave about 1/4" and would not fire anymore until we manually pushed it forward again).

These could have been our faults though. He is 20 and I am 17. This was his second time shooting, first time with his new gun (which had only shot 3 rounds before he bought it). It was my first time ever shooting. I plan on doing it more and getting my CCW sometime in the future.

Anyway, the 198 rounds are because we bought two boxes and brought them with us, and bought two more in Indiana. Once we had two rounds left, he decided he would keep them for self defense.

We (him, me, and my girlfriend) were in his apartment and he was saying something about the gun that I don't remember now, the nerves got to me. I remember he was very careless with how he was pointing it, like he has been before. Natural instinct when that happens is for me to stand between him and my girlfriend, so I moved across the room and took my position. I thought, "Surely he wouldn't be doing this if it was loaded..." and right after it ran through my mind, he racked the slide and a round came out. He racked it again and the next cartridge popped onto the bed.

At this point I was very bothered by how he was acting, and I started walking backwards out the door while pushing my girlfriend out the door too. At this point he half-racked the slide and put it to his chin. He said "Do you think I should do it?" and both me and my girlfriend said no over and over again, desperately trying to stop him. However, knowing there were no bullets, he pulled the trigger anyway. The hammer clicked, he laughed, and I immediately pushed my girlfriend out the door and we all left.

I grew up knowing how to do things safely and always exercising caution, but he grew up in a home where him and his siblings did whatever they want and pushed things to the limit. When he wants to do something, he does it himself, but I try to find the best/safest way to do it. Any time I held that gun I treated it like it was loaded. I never ever pointed it at anyone. My finger wasn't on the trigger until I wanted to shoot. This was even with the magazine out and the slide locked. Before we went on the trip I asked him what kind of gun it was and I looked up as much as I could about it online. I looked at it and learned how to use it, and I looked up gun safety and handling tips more than anything I have ever looked up.

I can't believe that he would just do this. It still makes my heart beat fast and makes me want to throw up thinking about it now. He also gets angry easily and I worry about him having the gun.

I know the best thing for me to do is to stop hanging out with him, but he is my family now and I end up with him a lot. Anything I say to him gets ignored because in his mind he is the one with the gun so obviously he can handle it and I wouldn't know anything...

I just needed to come vent because it makes me angry. He has a fiancé, soon to be wife in 5 days, as well as a baby boy who just turned one on June 5th, three days ago.

Thanks for reading, I will read and ponder anything you want to say.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Stay the Heck away from this idiot!

VIP Member
    Depending on how he got the gun, he may in fact be in possession of it illegally as he is under 21...

In any case, he sounds like a Grade-A loser. I'd avoid him whenever possible (though I know you feel like you won't be able to altogether). I wouldn't mention guns or shooting around him, lest he take it as an excuse to go act like an idiot again.

Seriously, the best thing you can do is avoid him. I don't think (based on your description) that he is the type that will ever listen to reason, constructive criticism, or even simple common sense. This guy = plague.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

That guy has no business being around...let alone...owning a firearm. Tell him to sell that piece of junk, take a class...digest...take the class again...repeat. Then ask the instructor if he has any business buying another gun....my guess will be NO. That's some negligent stuff.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Nervous? How about scared sh**less?

That young man has NO business handling any kind of firearm. He obviously has no respect for what they can do and has had no training in properly handling them. He's a danger to himself and everyone around him, including his soon-to-be-wife, his impressionable young son, you and your girlfriend.

You need to cut ties with this dude immediately if not sooner. He's a loser and is going kill or seriously injure himself or someone else very soon. Cut and run as fast as you can.

If you continue to have relationship with this guy, you need to have your head examined.

He shouldn't have that weapon, and you and your girlfriend should steer clear of him.

This idiot, needs help.

Your GF's sister, needs to hear of this (if I missed it), and if he cannot come to the conclusion of how his actions were about as foolish as they come, then counseling or "intervention" needs to take place.

This guy, is murder/assault/suicide/trouble waiting to happen. It could be your GF's sister, eventually. Or...YOU.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

It sounds like this young man needs a lesson in maturity and responsibility in general. While I may not be much older then him and may not have to much more experience around hand guns this bothers me. It makes me think he is viewing it as a "toy" like anything else and there are no consequences it will all work out okay cause it always has for him. I would personally avoid him as best I can. May not always be feasible but if you must be around him be careful you and you're girlfriends sake.
    No matter how hard you make it for a law abiding citizen to protect them self. Those that wish to do them harm will still find the means to do it.

If your friend marries this guy, she will end up dead! If you keep him in your life you could very well end up the same way! Use the brains that God gave you and see him for what he is and get him out of your life as fast as possible!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

this kid is nothing more than trouble
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

This just goes to show age means nothing. You are 17 and seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Your brother in law is 20 and is almost old enough to get a concealed carry license, and he couldn't be more reckless.
    Best bet is to stay away from him, and advise your gf to do the same
    Also, just because he is family, you can't be forced to hang out with him....If you don't feel safe around him, don't go to places he is at, and if he shows up to somewhere where you are, you can leave. There are plenty of people in my extended family who I stay away from
    Last edited by carryad; June 8th, 2010 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Depending on how he got the gun, he may in fact be in possession of it illegally as he is under 21...
    You have to be 21 to purchase from a FFL, but you can purchase from another individual at 18 legally because Missouri doesn't do handgun permits, only CC permits.

He keeps the gun at the apartment and my girlfriend and I stay away from there as much as possible. Therefore the gun isn't around us much.

I also know that he doesn't even touch the gun if nobody is there or if it is only him and his fiancé and child. It is when he is around other people that he acts stupid because he wants to show off. I bet none of you could guess that he is a horrible driver...

I am especially careful about where I point guns because of something that happened earlier in my life (no, nobody got hurt... except my butt). When I was 10 my dad let me and my twin brother have air soft guns, the kind that shoot the plastic BB pellets. Then I was showing off for one of my friends who was over... I checked how many were in the magazine (3) and racked the slide 3 times, allowing each one to slide down the barrel and out. I aimed it at the light and said "Watch this" to my friend. I shot, and suddenly it was dark and raining glass... I got quite a beating for that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opalelement View Post
    You have to be 21 to purchase from a FFL, but you can purchase from another individual at 18 legally because Missouri doesn't do handgun permits, only CC permits.
    Hence my qualifying phrase, "depending on how he got the gun..."

It sounds like you've taken the biggest step - recognizing that this guy is a tool, and planning accordingly.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Stay the hell away from this idiot if you want to live without additional holes that dont belong...
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Lot's of trouble going on there! Stay away!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links