A mistake, but it was caught

This is a discussion on A mistake, but it was caught within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; We had a big "range" trip (we have a range set up at a buddy's farm) with quite a few people going. I loaded my ...

Thread: A mistake, but it was caught

A mistake, but it was caught

We had a big "range" trip (we have a range set up at a buddy's farm) with quite a few people going. I loaded my range bag with 9 handguns and ammo (a friend was interested in learning about guns and perhaps getting one and wanted exposure to a wide variety).

Well, about a week ago I changed out my EDC from my Bersa Thunder 9 UC to my XD40sc. I unloaded the Bersa and put it in the safe. I always unload when I put them in the safe.

I took the Bersa in the range bag along with many others. As soon as I got to the range, I laid a towel out on the tailgate of my truck and proceeded to get all 3 9mms out (I only have a few out of the bag at a time). My process is to clear the weapon and lay it on the towel with the action open (semi or revolver) so that I know. I never lay a weapon back down with any rounds in the cylinder, chamber, or mag. The action is not closed until on the line, announce going hot, and everyone clear.

What was the mistake? When I cleared the Bersa upon taking it out of the range bag, there was a round in the chamber. I didn't clear the chamber when I put it in the safe. The good news is the Bersa was de-cocked with safety on in the safe and range bag. I always carry it de-cocked and safety off.

You should have seen the look on my face and the sinking feeling in my stomach when that round popped out. It is a sobering reminder of why we have and follow the safety rules all of the time, every time, when handling a gun. Treat them as loaded, even if you are "sure" it isn't and always check the gun. Established range routines caught this mistake. Perhaps I need to establish a routine of clearing before they go in the bag. You can't have too many checks along the way.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

All guns are loaded. There is no such thing as a unloaded gun.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Links