Has Anyone Seen "The Road" ???

This is a discussion on Has Anyone Seen "The Road" ??? within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I had to read the Cormac McCarthy novel as well as watch the movie for my english comp class. In the movie, the main character ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Has Anyone Seen "The Road" ???

Has Anyone Seen "The Road" ???

I had to read the Cormac McCarthy novel as well as watch the movie for my english comp class.

In the movie, the main character shows his son how to cock the revolver to condition 1 and place it in his mouth just right to commit suicide just in case "things go from bad to worse".

I know it's a movie an all, but just seeing that made my blood run cold. I mean...both Bruce Lee and and Brandon Lee got killed on the set of a movie because there were real bullets on the set!

2. Remove Ads

It's Hollywood....what do you expect? Safe handling? Examples for others (especially non-gun owners) to follow?

I think the story itself is sad....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I rather liked the movie, really. I understand the need for caution and following the "all firearms are loaded all the time" rule, but I suspect that they probably used a model gun incapable of taking bullets for every scene but the one where he shot the bandit in the woods. I could be wrong, of course, and that is bad firearm handling regardless, but it is a movie.

I didn't care for the movie at all.
    Also, not enough Charlize Theron
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Also killed on movie set...

Quote Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
    I had to read the Cormac McCarthy novel as well as watch the movie for my english comp class.

In the movie, the main character shows his son how to cock the revolver to condition 1 and place it in his mouth just right to commit suicide just in case "things go from bad to worse".

I know it's a movie an all, but just seeing that made my blood run cold. I mean...both Bruce Lee and and Brandon Lee got killed on the set of a movie because there were real bullets on the set!
    Don't forget Jon-Erik Hexum an actor on a movie set who in 1984 jokingly put a gun loaded with blanks to his head and pulled the trigger. He later died from the wound. And we're supposed to listen to Hollywood.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    I read the book and I found parts of it interesting. On the whole though I thought it was crap. The plot was terrible, there were too many loose ends and the book just ended leaving me with more questions than answers. It almost felt like (to me) the author just got tired of writing and decided to wrap it up.
    Hopyard likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Expert View Post

Bruce Lee died of complications (fatal swelling of the brain) due to medication he was taking. Note: nothing involving a firearm.

Brandon Lee died because a squib blank was stuck in the barrel, the pressure from the next round being fired resulted in the obstruction being shot out as a projectile with sufficient velocity to be considered a bullet. This happened on the set of filming for "The Crow."

I have to correct history errors when I see them, misinformation is one of the greatest risks to this generation.

I saw the movie, and found it to be well done and entertaining, but then, being a prepper, I like the subject matter.

"Book of Eli" with Denzel Washington is another movie I liked and recommend.

If you like novels, "Patriots, Surviving the Coming Socio-Economic Collapse" by John Wesley Rawles is a good read.

Oh well, it's off to the range!!!

VIP Member
    I saw the movie and was disappointed with it. I felt it had potential to be great, but just didn't get there.

The gun handling was poor, but it is a Hollywood movie, you can't expect too much.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

thought it was a great story i cringed as well when i saw the scene mentioned but im kinda curious as to how it began and what ended up happening at the end but over all pretty entertaining

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I saw the movie and was disappointed with it. I felt it had potential to be great, but just didn't get there.

The gun handling was poor, but it is a Hollywood movie, you can't expect too much.
    Yup, this is exactly how I feel. It could have been great but just left me wanting something better.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

A. the sky was still dark ten years after the "incident" I call BS.

B. all those guns and ammo out there and all those people who died immediately and nothing but that old nagant revolver was available? BS

C. The guy has survived ten years but still follows the roads instead of staying away from the danger and he even sleeps in cars right in the middle of the road? BS

D. they cut parts out of the movie that were in the book. BS

poorly written book

I thought it was a pretty good movie. Despite some of the Hollywood shortcomings, I felt like it gave a good portrait of what life could be like for the ill prepare in the event of a global catastrophe.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    The movie was not a how to survivalists guide or a firearms handling primer. The movie was about the people.

If you let the technical inaccuracies distract you you miss out on an excellent movie.

Jim
    Brad426 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    The movie was not a how to survivalists guide or a firearms handling primer. The movie was about the people.

If you let the technical inaccuracies distract you you miss out on an excellent movie.

Jim
    Agreed. Same with "Walking Dead". It isn't about zombies, it's about how people treat each other in a SHTF scenario.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links