Nooooo! - Page 2

Nooooo!

This is a discussion on Nooooo! within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Jughead2, I'll assume you read the OP's latest post. I can understand the want to decock it for drills but...it still got dry fired. Heh, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nooooo!

Jughead2, I'll assume you read the OP's latest post.

I can understand the want to decock it for drills but...it still got dry fired. Heh, or would have!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

When shooting in IDPA they have you point weapon down range and pull the trigger to make sure the chamber is empty for this very reason,they don't want "HOT" guns behind the firing line.If you have a ND on the range I shoot at you pack up your stuff and go home for the day,the reason being your head ain't where it should be.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    When shooting in IDPA they have you point weapon down range and pull the trigger to make sure the chamber is empty for this very reason,they don't want "HOT" guns behind the firing line.If you have a ND on the range I shoot at you pack up your stuff and go home for the day,the reason being your head ain't where it should be.
    spot on....at idpa matches the range is cold except for the current shooter...after displaying an empty chamber for the rso one is required to point the gun downrange and drop the hammer...this confirms the fact that the gun is not loaded before it is holstered...its just another level of safety and has nothing to do with striker fired or not...it is a requirement of every participant...

and yes...an accidental/negligent discharge ends your day...if there is any reason to believe that your attention is not totally focused on safety then its time for you to pack your things...i have seen it happen once...a participant got very excited after blowing the center out of a target that had taken quite a few close range hits and in his excitement squeezed one off into the ground in front of himself and the rso...it was a very hot day and heat exhaustion/dehydration was suspect but it was a foregone conclusion that it was time to pack up for this gentleman and he was in full agreement...

the most annoying thing about a negligent discharge is the constant afterthought a person who has one has....it seems no matter how safe you believe you are the possibility exists that you may just get taken over by the human factor at some point in your life and have it happen to you...i experienced one and my wife was astounded...the first comment she made ws that i was the safest person she ever met and downright anal when it comes to my firearms and procedures...

the second most annoying thing about them is the people who have never had one questioning and ridiculing those who have....if the questions were constructive in an attempt to prevent a similar situation for themselves or others it would be understandable...but thats seldom the case...it is more "you were an idiot for doing what you did" talk and only reinforces the obvious....that people make mistakes and others believe they are above that condition...

i certainly hope that when it happens to one of you who it hasnt happened to yet it ends safely and you are able to pull yourself back together from it...because nobody is harder on you when it happens than yourself...

Since your dept does these drill probably on a recurring basis, you may want to look into those plastic barrels from (I think) BladeTech. Functioning gun with no chance of AD/ND.

If you mess with guns enough, you WILL eventually have one. (I've had 2 in 20+ years) All the more reason to keep pointed in a safe direction. If you miss one safety rule, the other one will save you, as in this case.....you pointed it at the ground, while maybe not 100% "safe" still safer than it could have been.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Ok, I'll ask. Why? Why does a striker fired gun need to be "decocked" during the course of normal use? It's going to be at least partially cocked (and will, in any case, be ready to fire by pulling the trigger) if and when you load it again, so what purpose have you served? I know they do it at ranges (and not just in competitions), I just honestly don't see the need for it. Visually and physically inspect the chamber and magazine well. If both are empty, the weapon cannot fire. If both AREN'T empty, you shouldn't be pulling the trigger, berm or no berm.
    It's just an additional verification that the gun is empty. The sequence:

1. Shooter finishes the course of fire.
    2. SO (who is standing close to the shooter) says "If you are finished, unload and show clear."
    3. Shooter then drops magazine, pulls slide to the rear and holds it back (or locks it back) so the SO may look into the well and chamber.
    4. Shooter is then directed "slide forward", and the slide is returned to battery.
    5. The shooter is then directed to point the pistol into the berm, and pull the trigger to drop the hammer / release the striker.
    6. The shooter is then directed to holster the firearm, and once he / she has done so the range is considered safe for people to move downrange for scoring / pasting / setting steel.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Yup - DQs for NDs, dropping a loaded firearm, or handling a firearm outside of the safe table area or under the direct supervision of an SO = pack up and go home.

Accumulate multiple DQs for safety and the IDPA will revoke your membership.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    We did take a 30 minute cool down and debrief break after the ND happened in order to discuss what I did and allow me to cool down, drink a bottle of water, and stop shaking. Once we did this and I got my head in the game, we continued firing, albeit under a bit more stringent rules of all mags stay with gear unless range is hot. I was very very embarrassed and ashamed of myself for it, but I understand more clearly than ever the rules of checking the chamber three times before decocking to ensure firearm is unloaded
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links