Taking a friend to the range tomorrow for the first time!

This is a discussion on Taking a friend to the range tomorrow for the first time! within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; And he is from New Jersey and has never held a gun in his life, but he seems very eager to learn. Today I printed ...

Thread: Taking a friend to the range tomorrow for the first time!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Taking a friend to the range tomorrow for the first time!

And he is from New Jersey and has never held a gun in his life, but he seems very eager to learn. Today I printed him out 10 rules of gun safety and went over them with him. Tomorrow I plan on re-iterating those gun safety points with unloaded firearms while teaching him the basic fundamentals and allowing him to get familiar with the guns he will be shooting before we even put live ammo into the mix.

This is a one day thing so it's not like he will be back multiple times. We will have a few hours and I hope by the end of our trip he can have a few holes in the paper downrange.

Does anyone have any pointers for mentoring a first timer that I have not already pointed out above?

2. Remove Ads

Patience! He is going to be nervous, excited, and anxious all at the same time. A positive 1st impression will pay back tenfold...todays newbie is tomorrows pro-gun voter :)

Be safe & Have fun!
    If I knew I'd live this long, I would've taken better care of myself!

Amen... make it fun. It doesn't matter who it is you bring shooting the first time, don't start off with the big boomers... rimfires are a heck of a lot of fun.

Start off with one round in the gun. Repeat. See how he runs the gun a few times before you load more. Build your confidence in his ability to do it safely as well as his confidence in being safe and hitting the target. Step up to a few 3-round stings... ease into it.

If you're shooting handguns, use a big target at maybe 7 yards. For rifles, 25 yards is a good starter, 50 yards max if scoped.

Also, don't over-steer... once you see he has the basics under control, keep an eye on him but keep it positive and above all, fun!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Close

Take him up close. Let him see the bullet strike.

Five yards maybe.

Be sure to have ear protection for both of you. And by all means start him out with a .22 whether rifle or pistol.
    (Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Links