For safety, no loaded weapons.

This is a discussion on For safety, no loaded weapons. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by tkruf Obviously you do not trust yourself and/or your family enough around firearms, that you have this procedure. As stated, it doesn't ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For safety, no loaded weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Obviously you do not trust yourself and/or your family enough around firearms, that you have this procedure. As stated, it doesn't do any good to have it unloaded. You won't have time to get to it, load a magazine and rack the slide when the SHTF. A lot of ND's occur when loading and unloading a weapon. The more you do this, the more your chances go up for an ND. All firearms should be considered loaded and chambered, therefore why shouldn't they be. If you get in the "habit" of having it unloaded and magazine some place else, it's just a matter of time before your own plan backfires on you and you forget to unload the round from the chamber, or unintentionally rack one into the chamber when you don't realize it, and BOOM!

Don't shoot yourself in the foot.
    In my post I neglected to mention that the majority of NDs happen during administrative handling of the weapons. The OP is actually increasing the likelihood of an ND with his frequent loading and unloading.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

LAWL, when your using your clearing bucket of sand do you sweat when clearing the pistol?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Also let me add that when the bad guy comes through the door, are you trained to be calm in a situation like that? Who says you dont miss when putting the mag in?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The fear of the weapon is greater the reason for the weapon.

They're called home invasions for a reason. But to each their own.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I hate to tell you this, but both were a "stupid" failure on your part. Read what you have written, both are examples of epic failure of basic semi auto operation.
    I was thinking the same thing, but I also think that Chris knows that as well. I also will NEVER understand the practive of pulling the trigger to de-cock or "to make sure it was empty."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but I also think that Chris knows that as well. I also will NEVER understand the practive of pulling the trigger to de-cock or "to make sure it was empty."
    gotta do it to clean it.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

I agree before I disassemble the glock not only does it get multiple racks and visual checks but a finger check in chamber as well before i even think about depressing the trigger.

What you do with your guns is your business, but I think you need to train more and get a better understanding of your firearms.
    I carry outside the house with mag in and round in the chamber ready to fire. Inside the house, I generally have a pistol on me, mag in, no round in the chamber. I made that decision, because I have a kid in the house, and on the off chance he and I are wrestling around/whatever and it comes out of the holster, and he forgets all the times he's been told never to touch it (he's 4), I'll have that extra second to snatch it up. In the house I think I'll have plenty of time to chamber, though fumbling with a mag that's in a "secret" place would probably take too long. At night, they go in a locked digital safe, next to my bed, mag still in.
    Again, your guns, your choice, but your overall post sugests a need for more training.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    gotta do it to clean it.
    but only after physically checking to make sure its unloaded...not to confirm it is unloaded...

I always keep my guns loaded. If the grandchildren visit I lock them in the safe, except for the one that is on my side and the wife's.
    I would imagine the a high percentage of ND happen while loading or unloading a weapon.
    What do you do when some one rings your door bell?
    If what you are doing works for you, good job. It doesn't work for me.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    I follow two simple rules at home:
    1- No loaded weapons at all at any time.
    That means , no accidental discharges. First thing I do when i come home is to unload my weapon, alone in the bathroom, just me. A five gallon bucket full of sand helps.

Gato Pardo
    In addition to the increased potential for ND's, What do you do if a friend (who you know to carry) comes by for a visit? Tell him he must disarm prior to entering?
    I'm still the FNG here, so I'll keep my opinions to myself, other than saying your methods sound very flawed
    If I knew I'd live this long, I would've taken better care of myself!

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    but only after physically checking to make sure its unloaded...not to confirm it is unloaded...
    very true
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    You kinda did ask for his input when you clicked on the thread. That said, an unloaded weapon is an expensive rock.
    Actually no.

He asked for mine when he posted this thread. He gave his input and I have given mine. That to me sums up the end of this discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Of course the OP is free to respond to what I typed, as that is his choice, just as I have the choice to respond again or not. I think, most likely not. I've stated the obvious, to me anyway. I won't tell him what he can do in his house, and he can show me the same courtesy in regards to my house.

I agree with another poster, the individual in question needs more training.

Biker

Just for arguments sake.....couldn't you just leave the mags in, but not charge the weapon? That way all you'd have to do is rack the slide and you are ready.... it would still make the gun incapable of a ND/AD situation....

Senior Moderator
    Well, if we follow the logic presented in the OP, the next logical step is no weapons at all - therefore no possibility of an ND.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links