For safety, no loaded weapons.

This is a discussion on For safety, no loaded weapons. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Cocked, Locked and ready. On the otherside of the bed is my Shotgun Everything in my house is charged and ready and there are 3 ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For safety, no loaded weapons.

Sponsor
    Cocked, Locked and ready.

On the otherside of the bed is my Shotgun

Everything in my house is charged and ready and there are 3 more not shown.

You can get these at my site.

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Your house, your rules.

I promise to not patronize your house, but please don't tell me what I should do in my house unless I ask for your input. I find the idea of an unloaded gun to be dreadfully frightful and not in any way delightful. Too many people are killed or injured with "unloaded guns". I'll keep my guns loaded, and treat them as such.

Biker
    A rare point of agreement--- his house his rules.

Mine are loaded.

If I had kids at home I'd do something different, but the more you handle the gun the more opportunities there are for you to
    make an error. So, loading as you go out and unloading when you come home means lots of manipulation, which means lots of opportunity for mistakes to happen.

Loaded in holster, in a safe place pointed in a safe direction, readily accessible, or do as Retsupt99 does and carry all the time.

If you are going to have them unloaded, be certain that you have lots of layered security to give you that heads up. 1) Strong well locked doors with the screws extra long and driven through the studs; 2) vibration/glass break detectors on all windows; 3)
    alarms on doors; 4) dogs 5) good exterior lighting with some on motion detectors' 6) drive way/walkway alarms/alerts/announcing devices---- (not in any particular order of priority)

Seconds count. Take the steps needed to give yourself some seconds unless you carry all the time.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Usually in the day at home, they are unloaded. But in the evening, they are loaded. I also harden the doorways to help me by those precious extra seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Usually in the day at home, they are unloaded. But in the evening, they are loaded. I also harden the doorways to help me by those precious extra seconds.
    I miss the logic in this,Home invasions can happen at any time of the day
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I miss the logic in this,Home invasions can happen at any time of the day
    If I follow the OP's line of thinking, we're talking about probability. Every now and then, you read about a case where the home invasion begins with the door being kicked in. As the door swings open, 2 to 4 masked men with guns come rushing into the house for the takedown. Within about 3 seconds they'll be in the main living quarters.

In this case, even if your gun is holstered on your person, it will be touch-and-go as to whether you have time to draw and bring it into play. If the BGs are good, you'll have several weapons pointed at you before you've cleared leather.

Now, if that gun is loaded but at your nightstand, in a drawer, in a gun case, etc., you'll have to try to get to it and outrun the BGs and this is where it's looking pretty bad for the homeowner.

On the other hand, the odds of this happening to you are probably less than getting hit by lightning. Could happen. You also might hit the lottery. Or get bit by a shark. But the chances of a kid picking up your loaded gun, a drunk relative finding it, you mishandling it, something like that, those odds are going to be much more likely if you have a loaded gun laying around.

So if that's how you read all this out, then the OP's position is reasonable and probably one a lot of people follow. I'm unclear as to why a loaded magazine can't be in the gun with an empty chamber, but some people are skittish around loaded guns, and it's not my job to change the way they think.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Well I may be way off base....but I smell a troll.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Sixto, I was going for saving some dignity...............but your right, both were stupid failures
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Empty pistol sitting on the table - sounds crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    Empty pistol sitting on the table - sounds crazy to me.

well at least if they bust in without a gun they may take his up thinking its loaded and be unpleasantly surprised when the OP beats them with a baseball bat...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

"...I refuse to be patronize or grilled for what I'm writing now..."

Why is this statement here, in the original post? Looks suspiciously like a chip. Sitting on a shoulder.

For safety's sake, we have loaded guns standing ready in this house.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

Why is this statement here, in the original post? Looks suspiciously like a chip. Sitting on a shoulder.
    You weren't the only one to notice that...

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

For safety's sake, we have loaded guns standing ready in this house.
    Gotta agree, Bryan.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    Chip or no chip on a troll's shoulder, that is enough of that. Ignore it and it will go away.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Better hope for a polite intruder that will honor your request for a "Time Out" while I find my mag, insert it, and rack the slide, all in a pitch dark SHTF frenzy. Not my cup of tea. Mine is loaded, 1 chambered, safety off, DA pull for 1st. round, ready to unholster, point, squeeze trigger, go "Bang". To me, unloading & putting away your gun when you get home & keeping ammo in a separate place is insane.

ALL home invasions happen in the home, they happen at all hours of the day, any day of the week, & they happen FAST!! The safest place for your gun at home is holstered & on you ... loaded guns do NOT go "Bang" by themselves, especially those in holsters! I refuse to let BG's, by virtue of busting through my front or back door, unwittingly place themselves between me & my gun that I put away when I got home (let alone unloaded). At 55, I'm too old & slow, to engage 1 to 3 BG's via hand-to-hand combat to get through them & to my gun in the back bedroom, because they caught me by surprise & unarmed in my kitchen, living room, garage, etc.. My gun is on me whether I'm taking out the trash to the back alley at 6 a.m., or I'm getting the mail at the front curb at 6 p.m.

If your strategy works well for you, then that's all that matters. It's not a strategy I follow or would recommend. Stay safe!
    Last edited by KimBobTex; September 1st, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

On second thought no loaded guns might work for you, as long as BG follows your rules.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links