For safety, no loaded weapons.

This is a discussion on For safety, no loaded weapons. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I follow two simple rules at home: 1- No loaded weapons at all at any time. That means , no accidental discharges. First thing I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: For safety, no loaded weapons.

Sponsor

I follow two simple rules at home:
    1- No loaded weapons at all at any time.
    That means , no accidental discharges. First thing I do when i come home is to unload my weapon, alone in the bathroom, just me. A five gallon bucket full of sand helps.

2- Ammo and weapons stored in different containers all the time.
    None except my wife and I can load a weapon anytime.

So for anyone asking, how would I defend myself from a home invasion?
    Real simple: My primary defense gun sits on my small table when I'm home, it's a semi auto, no magazine is present, so its pretty useless as is, the key is the magazine of course, it takes a couple of seconds to insert the mag, and rack the slide, and now its a weapon, where do I keep the magazine? Ah! that is the secret.
    Why do I do this? We people are prone to have accidents, for whatever reason, (this is not a philosophical post though) without exception, as we read down the posts here in this section.
    And just as a glass with liquid will spill, the open ink well will stain, the pan over the hot stove will burn, etc. the loaded gun will discharge, most surely, sometime.

The fact is, it doesn't matter how "well" trained people are, we still read about some guys getting killed by their kids, thinking the gun is a toy, or kill a brother or sister, some kill themselves accidentally, that is my fear, the idea is sobering.

I don't consider myself someone with great experience, or more experience than all you guys out there, but I refuse to be patronize or grilled for what I'm writing now, this affects everyone who owns a gun, "whomever plays with matches..." well, you know the rest.
    What I'd like to see coming is more pictographic tutorials about basic safety checks for different weapons, and good advise on good safety practices.
    For all of us who might not know everything about it, just that.

Gato Pardo

VIP Member
    I normally keep a few guns around the house that are loaded and charged for immediate use if need be, but ALL guns are considered loaded and charged unless cleared by myself.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I do almost the same thing. I unload and clear my G19 whenever in my house. No loaded weapons in my house.

EW3
    Sounds like a dumb idea to me to be honest.

A bad guy crashing through your front door isn't going to wait for you to retrieve a magazine, load it and rack the slide.

If you are that unsure of yourself around firearms that you don't trust having them loaded in your own home, maybe you shouldn't own them at all...
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    I agree completely, no unloaded weapons in my house. Oh, wait...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think that your system for safety makes sense, but I prefer mine at home. My primary guns are always loaded and ready to shoot, especially my HD shotgun. The last thing I want to do in the middle of the night when SHTF is look for my mags or shells to then load my gun or shotgun.

No kids at home, just the wife and she has been coached on how to properly handle firearms. Of course, if I have guests of any type or age, all weapons except my carry guns go in the safe.

You never said where you keep your magazine.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Mine are loaded and ready to go, but then I'm the only one living here at the moment .... so it's a non-issue.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    I follow two simple rules at home:
    1- No loaded weapons at all at any time.
    That means , no accidental discharges. First thing I do when i come home is to unload my weapon, alone in the bathroom, just me. A five gallon bucket full of sand helps.

2- Ammo and weapons stored in different containers all the time.
    None except my wife and I can load a weapon anytime.

So for anyone asking, how would I defend myself from a home invasion?
    Real simple: My primary defense gun sits on my small table when I'm home, it's a semi auto, no magazine is present, so its pretty useless as is, the key is the magazine of course, it takes a couple of seconds to insert the mag, and rack the slide, and now its a weapon, where do I keep the magazine? Ah! that is the secret.
    Why do I do this? We people are prone to have accidents, for whatever reason, (this is not a philosophical post though) without exception, as we read down the posts here in this section.
    And just as a glass with liquid will spill, the open ink well will stain, the pan over the hot stove will burn, etc. the loaded gun will discharge, most surely, sometime.

The fact is, it doesn't matter how "well" trained people are, we still read about some guys getting killed by their kids, thinking the gun is a toy, or kill a brother or sister, some kill themselves accidentally, that is my fear, the idea is sobering.

I don't consider myself someone with great experience, or more experience than all you guys out there, but I refuse to be patronize or grilled for what I'm writing now, this affects everyone who owns a gun, "whomever plays with matches..." well, you know the rest.
    What I'd like to see coming is more pictographic tutorials about basic safety checks for different weapons, and good advise on good safety practices.
    For all of us who might not know everything about it, just that.
    I promise to neither grill you nor patronize you. I'll also say in advance that I won't offer specific info about firearm safety checks, as there is a boatload of information available elsewhere on the net. Google is your friend.

What I will do is ask you to reconsider in the grand scheme of things what you consider "safe" to be. I carry a weapon outside the home because I never know where I might need one. I carry a weapon inside the home (or have one immediately nearby) because my house is not a fortress and I live among civilization in suburbia. My question to you is, did you consciously decide that the risk of vicious attack to you and your loved ones ends once you step inside your home? Likewise, did you consciously decide that your weapon safety is greater outside your home than within?

From what you have written, you have adopted a zero-tolerance approach to loaded weapons inside your house, but with your same skill set you are going out armed into society. If you don't trust your skills and training (and that includes safety training) with firearms to carry a gun on your person in the house, then I don't understand how that situation improves outside your home. The only difference is that potential accident victims at your hand are less likely to be related to you outside your home. Ethically and morally, I have a hard time with that.

I have a hard time understanding your reasoning, so I sincerely - again, not grilling or patronizing you - invite you to explain it to me (us).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Question: Are you certain you'll be able to load sufficiently quickly and competently in a stressful, fast-moving situation (such as a home invasion in which you're sitting in your front room and caught "with your pants down [so to speak]) in order to effectively thwart the violence against you and yours? When your firearm begins the scenario unloaded, when the first moment you're touching your gun and loaded magazine is a good second or two after the assailants (?) have entered your home? I have a hard time seeing my way through such a scenario if my gun starts out unloaded. Perhaps that's just me.

When carrying concealed, my firearm is pretty darned safe in its holster on my hip. It's just as safe in its holster two feet from my left hand on the desk, or holstered and attached to the head of the bed while sleeping at night. Yes, they're each loaded. Yes, I suppose that does inherently make them more of a risk than any unloaded gun, at least just sitting there. But then, the unloaded ones must be reloaded in the heat of the moment in order to respond to a rapidly-moving situation. Better or worse? Hard to say. Depends on one's competency with (a) the reloading/unloading procedure, and (b) effectively responding to scenarios that arise. Everyone is going to be different. No one method is going to be "best" or even workable for everyone.

The question: weighing the risk of an unintentional firing versus being unable to respond effectively in a scenario. Given my living arrangements and lifestyle, what works for me is effectively managing the former so that I'll have maximum capability in the latter. Ain't nothin' for certain. But this adjusts the scales of the balance satisfactorily for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I keep my gun loaded with 1 in the pipe 24/7 If I'm dressed it's in my holster,I also keep a 12 gauge and an AR15 loaded in the bedroom,My system works for me,If yours works for you great,but you might wanta see some video of guys that didn't carry one in the pipe when stuff went south quick
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Your house, your rules.

I promise to not patronize your house, but please don't tell me what I should do in my house unless I ask for your input. I find the idea of an unloaded gun to be dreadfully frightful and not in any way delightful. Too many people are killed or injured with "unloaded guns". I'll keep my guns loaded, and treat them as such.

Biker

While I do understand your safety concerns, mine are a little different. I want to be as prepared for unexpected attacks at home as I would out in a parking lot.
    For the same reasons that I carry a round chambered in a Wally World parking lot, I do the same while watching a television program in my living room.
    My firearm is on my side in the parking lot, and the firearm is either on my side or on the table next to me in my living room.
    Trouble can hit when you least expect it, and a second or two may make all the difference in the world...especially for this old geezer (I'm gonna' need every extra second I can get.).
    While it is almost unthinkable for someone to kick in my front door...in our subdivision...stuff like that just doesn't happen here...that's what everyone who's been robbed usually states.

A man's gotta' know his limitations...

Stay armed...have a plan...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All the guns in my house are loaded all the time and I like to keep them that way. I don't have to think about it. (no kids to worry about though, that could make a difference at your house)
    It's safer to know their status and treat them appropriately, than to *think* it's unloaded when you might have made a mistake.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

but please don't tell me what I should do in my house
    C'mon, ease up, Biker - the man was not telling anybody else what to do, and he asked that he not be lectured about his procedures.

When I saw that, I figured this would turn into a long thread about how everybody keeps their weapons loaded in the house, and maybe some lecturing about how he should, too.

So here I think we ought to respect the wishes of the OP, and also reflect a moment on the fact that not all owners follow the same procedures or think the same way. Maybe some among us have revised and changed our procedures over time.

That show on CHL Class on Spike followed 9 people or so through a program, and one of the students was a woman who lives in my city and she and her husband only barely lived through a violent home invasion in which she managed to kill one of the intruders by using a MKII. Most people would not consider a .22 adequate for home defense, but there you go.

So. To the OP - safety protocol in my home is to always have the weapons pointed in a safe direction during handling; during loading, unloading, cleaning and maintenance.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    but I refuse to be patronize or grilled for what I'm writing now, this affects everyone who owns a gun, "whomever plays with matches..." well, you know the rest.
    Gato Pardo
    I disagree, but whatever works for you... "refuse to be patronized, or grilled" ??? gee some would think you already knew what the majority opinion would be.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links