OK so I had a SD (stupid discharge)

This is a discussion on OK so I had a SD (stupid discharge) within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Mrs. W and I went to the range this evening. It is a very small range owned by our local Sheriff's Dept. I have usage ...

Thread: OK so I had a SD (stupid discharge)

OK so I had a SD (stupid discharge)

Mrs. W and I went to the range this evening. It is a very small range owned by our local Sheriff's Dept. I have usage privileges there. She was loading a mag for her newly acquired G26. I was shooting my 23. Doing a drill with two shots to a threat at my 12 oclock and one shot to a threat at my 3 oclock, which was a metal popper. I had just loaded a fresh magazine. I decided to switch my direction, and shoot the popper first then rotate to my 9 and shoot the paper. I drew and quickly engaged the trigger and nothing. I thought it was a malfunction. I racked the slide and POW. Apparently I let my finger inside the trigger guard. Mrs W was watching and it scared her, pretty bad. Luckily the range is in the wildneress and had a row of trees behind. She saw the bullet strike the tree. I found it and dug it out. I wasnt real shook up, just felt stupid. I am very prud of my safe handling and booger hook discipline, apparently we all are prone to being stupid once in a while.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Any day at the range should always be a good day no matter your hits on target. An SD is never good. Scaring your range partner is never good....this will only get you to the range by yourself next time....and low and behold....you go to the range alone and have an SD and you might go down without any help. Many times, I look forward to competition with the club simply because there are many people looking over your shoulder as well as the RO and you get reinforcement and helpful critique as to what you are actually doing on the range during live fire and reloading. Our club is one of the best IMO....safety...safety...safety....and gun handling...etc. We can't always critique ourselves and sometimes we can fall and fail ourselves in our own concepts and safety practices. Your post is first a warning to yourself, and second, a warning to others not to make the same mistake. I won't rake you over the coals about it since I think you've already done that yourself and merely posting a warning for others. Personally, I think of you as family, and I never want anything bad to befall you. Lessons learned. Bullet struck "Behind"? IMO...use some of the basic range scenarios. 180, draw without finger in the trigger, re-holstering, etc. Trees? Well, I have a story about trees and it doesn't involve me....but a slight hit on a tree trunk with any pistol or rifle caliber can turn it around and make it come right back at you. Never intentionally shoot at trees. I'm not talking from a green stance (even though its not good to destroy our trees)..but more from a ballistics stance. Shot at a tree of good size and you might have the projectile come right back at you. I'm just saying. Be more careful in the days to come.

At least you admitted your mistake. Don't sweat it, but don't forget it.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Administrator
    "She saw the bullet strike the tree."

If you had to suffer a ND that's a great place for a wayward bullet to hit.

Pick apart exactly how it happened moment by moment. Learn and ingrain a hard lesson from that...be glad that nobody was injured - and then move on & forward.

Don't dwell on it because the only thing gained from continual fretting over it will be a loss of confidence and that is never a good thing.

That kind of mistake should advance you through the 'learning curve' quite quickly. Live and learn...at least there were no injuries.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Most guys would have told her that something must be "wrong" with the gun, and that you better get it to a gunsmith right away. Then hid the gun in the garage, and told her they traded if off for this nice shiny new 1911, since there was obviously something wrong with the old one! After a year has elapsed, the old Glock can come out of hiding, and melt into the collection.

That's what "some" guys would do!

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    The gun was pointed in a safe direction. Score another win for the rules of safe handling.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

You followed Rules One and Two, which kept ugly stuff from happening when you violated Rule Three. Rule Four is questionable in my mind since you didn't intend to shoot the tree, but I won't hold your feet to the fire on that one. I think you won't forget tonight's lesson for a long time.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    It happens. I have a buddy who has a USPSA Michigan State Pistol Champion plaque on his wall with a ND bullet hole in it.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for sharing. That can't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It happens. I have a buddy who has a USPSA Michigan State Pistol Champion plaque on his wall with a ND bullet hole in it.
    Wow...that has to be an ever present reminder.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Well it didthrow me off guard...but it was my last mag for the session, so I reholstered, gathered my composure and finshed the string of fire. I actually shot decent, on that one. I know it has to happen to all of us at some point whether we admit it or not. Just have to be more careful from now on.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'm impressed with your integrity that you would admit to doing it and admit that it was your fault. I have a feeling that there are others on here who are guilty of a stupid discharge (including me), but have not posted it.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    welcome to the club...itll always be there to remind you...and with any fortune itll make it so you never experience one again...thats the good that comes out of it...that and now you understand how easily they happen and that you dont have to be a moron to have one...just human...

Links