My 3 Year Old and Guns

This is a discussion on My 3 Year Old and Guns within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by bladenbullet it took my daughter until she was 9 to even want to be in the same room as any of my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 3 Year Old and Guns

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    it took my daughter until she was 9 to even want to be in the same room as any of my guns...if she walked into the kitchen while i was cleaning she would scurry right back out....she knew that she was never to touch a gun but she had a fear of them...once she started getting curious and started asking questions i tuaght her how they worked and explained how bulets are made and work also...now at 10 she has her own rifle and has spent some time shooting the .22 pistol also....shes not a die hard but shes working her way into shooting and has a respect for it...she is always conscious of my gun on my waist when we are out and never mentions it if she happens to run into it while walking or sitting with me...

i learned about guns at a very early age from my father and think it has great value...youre doing it right and your kid will be better for it....
    It's funny...my daughter was the same until about the same age. Now she is 37, has a carry permit and carries a G-19 while on the road for her job.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I unloaded my G19 and put it in an end table where he could see it and reach it.
    I just might have to give this a try. My older 3 can easily recite the rules of what to do when you find a gun and the rules of handling a gun; but what would they REALLY do?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Some may think that a 3 year old has no business knowing about guns. I personally think that it is importnant that young kids know about gun safety if there are guns in the house.
    I think you're right on the money, there. He's male and 3yrs of age. He's going to have curiosity typical in such a package whether you like it or not. All you can really do is to deftly guide that curiosity such that it ends up with intelligent evaluation of a situation instead of blindly leaping off the pier into the lake.

Firearms are merely tools. But, any tool can be dangerous if mishandled. He'll soon see them disassembled and then put back together. He'll see there is little magic. He'll see that everything depends on his safe and competent handling of them, when he's around them. He seems well on his way to understanding it all. Congratulations!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

OP: As a parent of four teens and post-teens I'd just like to give you a head's up to not get complacent. What you're doing and how your kid responded sound great (keep it up), but my experience is that the choices kids make will change over time, and depending upon who's looking and how they're feeling, etc. No matter how many times you reinforce their training, and no matter how many times they repeat the mantras you've taught them or they pass your tests don't be surprised if (while you're not around, or just when they've reached some cognitive or developmental or social milestone) they inexplicably flip flop and stop acting the way you taught them.

So again: sounds like you and the kid are doing great, and keep it up, but file this note away for the future and in the interim never let your guard down (e.g. religiously keep your guns locked up, etc.).

Good luck in the continuing and mysterious process of parenting :-)
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Our son is only 22 months and we let him play with toy guns... even blue trainer guns. He LOVES guns and he BEGS to play with the real things. I think the best thing parents can do for kids when there are guns in the house is to educate them and take the mystery away. If they have safe and responsible access and are taught from a VERY young age the rules and handling and care of a firearm the chances of an issue go WAY down.

It's like teaching about crossing the street or the stove or negotiating the stairs or electrical outlets or any other danger to our children. Educate.
    You are absolutely right. It is just like educating our children in all the dangers that they will face. It is funny that you mentioned crossing the street. My son has taken that one too far. I tell him to look right, look left and look right again before crossing and then pay attention as you quickly cross (ofcourse holding my hand). But he just keeps looking left and right the whole time crossing and not really paying attention in front of him. We'll work on it. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Firearms are merely tools. But, any tool can be dangerous if mishandled. He'll soon see them disassembled and then put back together. He'll see there is little magic. He'll see that everything depends on his safe and competent handling of them, when he's around them. He seems well on his way to understanding it all. Congratulations!
    Thank you. Right again, they are merely tools. That will be the next step, letting him watch me field strip them.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    OP: As a parent of four teens and post-teens I'd just like to give you a head's up to not get complacent. What you're doing and how your kid responded sound great (keep it up), but my experience is that the choices kids make will change over time, and depending upon who's looking and how they're feeling, etc. No matter how many times you reinforce their training, and no matter how many times they repeat the mantras you've taught them or they pass your tests don't be surprised if (while you're not around, or just when they've reached some cognitive or developmental or social milestone) they inexplicably flip flop and stop acting the way you taught them.

So again: sounds like you and the kid are doing great, and keep it up, but file this note away for the future and in the interim never let your guard down (e.g. religiously keep your guns locked up, etc.).

Good luck in the continuing and mysterious process of parenting :-)
    Thank you. Good point. Believe me, this test did not make me feel like it is time to just leave the guns laying around. LOL. I will always practice safe firearm handling. They go from my holster to the Gunvault at night. The rest of them are in two different safes bolted to the floor and wall.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Sounds like you guys are doing a great job with your little ones. I have a 22 month old daughter and really just assumed that was too young to start teaching her anything about firearms. Perhaps we should reconsider. :)
    http://www.gunmerchantaccount.com
    Firearms Dealer Merchant Services

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links