A Horrible Hunting Accident - Violation of all safety rules

This is a discussion on A Horrible Hunting Accident - Violation of all safety rules within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My neighbor's grandson was involved in a horrible hunting accident this weekend. After the boy and his father had finished hunting and returned to the ...

My neighbor's grandson was involved in a horrible hunting accident this weekend.

After the boy and his father had finished hunting and returned to the pickup truck, the 16 year-old grandson was holding the rifle under his chin and flipping the safety. The gun went off and blew off his face. He is still living, but his life is ruined.

The boy violated every safety rule that was ever invented, plus rules of common sense. We should give this incident as an example of the bad things that can happen when basic safety rules are violated.

In my opinion the most serious safety principle violated is that "There is no such think as an unloaded gun."
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

That is extremely tragic and putting the rifle under the chin is not a smart move.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    That is heart-breaking. Kids do dumb things. I hate it when it's irreversible. They are in my prayers.

Where was the father (firearms instructor, safety officer and mentor!) as his boy was toying with the gun in such a _negligent_ (sorry but this is not accidental) manner.

: (

Very sorry to hear of this.
    The 2010 fall season has not been good thus far toward hunter related shooting incidents.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/25...amed-in-2.html

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Often the only good that comes out of these things, is the incentive to others to use proper care.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I was duck hunting once with an knowledgeable gun guy, though apparently unknowledgeable on gun safety. He was standing up and I noted that he had the muzzle near his chest pointing directly at the underside of his chin in a similar manner as in the OP. I didn't care what he thought, but I took my hand and moved the muzzle away from his chin and told him that it made me nervous knowing what could happen.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Roulette can get very expensive very quickly.

That's a fairly dumb move, right there. I'm betting that he's likely to be a bit more cautious next time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Where was the father (firearms instructor, safety officer and mentor!) as his boy was toying with the gun in such a _negligent_ (sorry but this is not accidental) manner.] - Janq
    The same thought came to my mind. A father should start emphasizing safety constantly and unceaseingly at a very early age. Start by letting him hear the sound, and then see the destructive effect, and then constantly making him recite safety rules again and again; and of course monitor his safety habits. As an example, my son-in-law handed a rifle to his young 10-old son. The boy immediately opened the bolt to make certain that it was unloaded. His father said "Why are you doing that? I just checked it myself." To which the boy replied "I am checking it myself just like you taught me." The boy passed the test that his father had tried to trick him with that day. Otherwise, the boy would have gotten a butt chewing for safety violations if he had not again checked for himself.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    The same thought came to my mind. A father should start emphasizing safety constantly and unceaseingly at a very early age. Start by letting him hear the sound, and then see the destructive effect, and then constantly making him recite safety rules again and again; and of course monitor his safety habits. As an example, my son-in-law handed a rifle to his young 10-old son. The boy immediately opened the bolt to make certain that it was unloaded. His father said "Why are you doing that? I just checked it myself." To which the boy replied "I am checking it myself just like you taught me." The boy passed the test that his father had tried to trick him with that day. Otherwise, the boy would have gotten a butt chewing for safety violations if he had not again checked for himself.
    +1
    Thats how safe habits are formed. I do the same thing with my kids. Hopefully after hundreds of repititions it sinks in.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I remember seeing an old guy used to wear a dust mask all the time to cover the gaping hole he left where his nose and lips used to be as he was sitting a loaded shotgun down inside a duck blind,the gun discharged blowing half his face off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

On a related note, on Halloween I visited a neighbor of mine who is also an enthusiast, as I wanted to show him the new CC holster I'd got for the Ruger. Before leaving my house, I pulled the mag, ejected the chambered round. Double-checked the chamber, holstered the gun and went over to his place.

When I got there, I handed the holstered gun to him, and said, "It's unloaded, chamber's empty." He pulled it from the holster, checked that the mag was out, and then checked the chamber. Good owners just do these things. He didn't take my word for anything. He verified for himself. Safety doesn't mean you have to be a weenie, or neurotic, it means you have to be habitual and automatic in your handling processes. No exceptions, no assumptions.

The consequences of an accident are just too high to allow otherwise.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I've never been handed a "unloaded" gun that I haven't checked for myself.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    That's awful, it's too bad that someone so young will have to live with the result of that mistake forever.

Links