Idiot people at the range slight rant....

This is a discussion on Idiot people at the range slight rant.... within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I went to our local range on sunday afternoon as i walk to the check in counter i notice a very large group of people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiot people at the range slight rant....

Idiot people at the range slight rant....

I went to our local range on sunday afternoon as i walk to the check in counter i notice a very large group of people standing at the counter not all the odd except there was 15 asian people that spoke no english with one lady that could except for it taking forever for them to get checked in (45 min i would of left but i live 30 min away so i figured why not wait) i was happy that they were taking an intrest in shooting untill i got the lane right next to them.. they had rented a m&p in 22lr and they did receive a demo how to use it...To the point now they begin shooting and no problems until it jams and they dont know how to clear it i notice whats going on and show them the proper way to clear it and verify its ready to go again well it jams again with a different kid and instead of laying it down pointg down range he proceeds to muzzle evey one there along with me with his good ole booger hooker on the triger as its pointing at me at about high chest i didnt even think i grabbed the barrel pulled up and then down range i yelled a few choice words told them not to touch the rifle or anything else till i left packed my stuff up and left about halfway through my shoot time now that i was in the lobby the english speaking lady came out and precided to try and dress me down for scaring one of "her" boys i didnt feel the need to stand there and yell back like an idioti simply paid my bill and told the guy at the counter im all for everyone learning to shoot and owning guns but maybe when its obvious they dont know how to shoot someone who does should go in with them and TEACH them..sorry just my rant i dont feel i over reacted but did I?? just wonderin and i guess im only going to ranges with a range officer now im done with that crap.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

2. Remove Ads

Don't blame you at all. That is ridiculous, and when she came out and started in on me for scaring one of her boys, I would have told her that guns are not toys and I don't appreciate having loaded guns pointed at me.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I understand. If I want to shoot with any level of regularity, it means risking my life at the public range. I try to go on off hours (Wednesdays @ 2pm seem to work well). I don't even consider going there on weekends.

Senior Moderator
    Having been a range officer at a range I'm surprised the range personnel didn't come in and address the problem themselves. Can they not see the shooters at this particular range? If not you certainly should have informed the staff about the breaches in safety and asked for someone to go out and help.

There have been a couple of times that I have gone into the range and stood DIRECTLY behind a shooter and flat out said, "You've had some minor safety infractions and I'm here to make sure you don't have any more. One more and you are gone." But if someone else is in danger that is no excuse. If the range personnel didn't know they should have been informed and taken care of it.

I don't blame you at all for what you did.

I would have left too. Years ago I left an indoor range early because I got hit in the leg twice by someone's ricochet.

I don't blame you a bit either.......except for the lack of punctuation, lol.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Having been a range officer at a range I'm surprised the range personnel didn't come in and address the problem themselves. Can they not see the shooters at this particular range? If not you certainly should have informed the staff about the breaches in safety and asked for someone to go out and help.

There have been a couple of times that I have gone into the range and stood DIRECTLY behind a shooter and flat out said, "You've had some minor safety infractions and I'm here to make sure you don't have any more. One more and you are gone." But if someone else is in danger that is no excuse. If the range personnel didn't know they should have been informed and taken care of it.

I don't blame you at all for what you did.
    They have cameras on each lane but no one is phisicly standing on the range and when the 2 guys get busy they cant watch everything.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

GM
    I should have done the same . “… scaring one of "her" boys…”, that is ridiculous . I really dislike going to public ranges.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I guess my new plan is stop being lazy and take some of these empty 55 gal drums and make my own targets to shoot out at my land instead of goin to the range
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf88 View Post
    I guess my new plan is stop being lazy and take some of these empty 55 gal drums and make my own targets to shoot out at my land instead of goin to the range
    That should be the best thing to do!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've been to ranges where I don't think the people behind the counter shoot very much,they get paid an hourly wage and couldn't care if the person checking out a gun knows how to shoot,I shoot enough that if I see a novice shooter I will ask if they need help and I can get a point across by using hand gestures on how to shoot safely and what not to do.
    As far as grabbing the muzzle and redirecting it I would have told the lady don't bring people to a gun range unless you are capable and know how to safely handle a firearm.If somebody got shot because of your negligance you would be on the "TO SUE LIST"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf88 View Post
    I went to our local range on sunday afternoon as i walk to the check in counter i notice a very large group of people standing at the counter not all the odd except there was 15 asian people that spoke no english with one lady that could except for it taking forever for them to get checked in (45 min i would of left but i live 30 min away so i figured why not wait) i was happy that they were taking an intrest in shooting untill i got the lane right next to them.. they had rented a m&p in 22lr and they did receive a demo how to use it...To the point now they begin shooting and no problems until it jams and they dont know how to clear it i notice whats going on and show them the proper way to clear it and verify its ready to go again well it jams again with a different kid and instead of laying it down pointg down range he proceeds to muzzle evey one there along with me with his good ole booger hooker on the triger as its pointing at me at about high chest i didnt even think i grabbed the barrel pulled up and then down range i yelled a few choice words told them not to touch the rifle or anything else till i left packed my stuff up and left about halfway through my shoot time now that i was in the lobby the english speaking lady came out and precided to try and dress me down for scaring one of "her" boys i didnt feel the need to stand there and yell back like an idioti simply paid my bill and told the guy at the counter im all for everyone learning to shoot and owning guns but maybe when its obvious they dont know how to shoot someone who does should go in with them and TEACH them..sorry just my rant i dont feel i over reacted but did I?? just wonderin and i guess im only going to ranges with a range officer now im done with that crap.
    Finger on trigger and pointing at my chest? I'm not grabbing anything but floor. Preferably as far to the side as I can jump.

Pay attention to what is going on around you. Sometimes this means you pack up and leave early. Let some one else be the trajedy on the evening news.

I would have asked for a refund. No way would be going back in there, even if the staff had "handled" the situation. Glad you are OK.

BTW - Punctuation and paragraphs are good things.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Thanks for the input as far as dropping to the ground he was to close i would of ended up hitting the barrel and not sure what reaction that may have caused.

I am now working plans to set up my own make shift range at my land its a little farther drive but i dont have to deal with the high quailty of people out there where its just me..

I shall try to use puncuation and paragraphs but i got through HS on football and wrestling english teacher was a football mom. At the time i thought it was great now learning later in life it might not have been a good idea to skate through so i have never focused on proper english my apoligies.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

Ex Member
    15 years ago I was at the then Dons range on 96st in Indy. They put two young guys, and a teen type girl next to me. They REEKED of pot, and beer and were waving their weapons everywhere. I asked them twice to watch their muzzle than said screw it, and I left. 10-15 minutes later she dropped one of the weapons, I don't remember what they were shooting, and a round hit one of her arteries. She bled to death before she got to the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    15 years ago I was at the then Dons range on 96st in Indy. They put two young guys, and a teen type girl next to me. They REEKED of pot, and beer and were waving their weapons everywhere. I asked them twice to watch their muzzle than said screw it, and I left. 10-15 minutes later she dropped one of the weapons, I don't remember what they were shooting, and a round hit one of her arteries. She bled to death before she got to the hospital.
    Id have to say that just enforces my decision to not attend anymore indoor/public gun ranges it baffels my mind to think they would allow anyone to shoot in that condition.

I become unpopular with my friends when i refused to let them drink on my land and shoot trap i have just never felt that alcohol and firearms go together.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links