When is a gun considered "Loaded"?

This is a discussion on When is a gun considered "Loaded"? within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Ammunition in the gun makes it "loaded." In certain jurisdictions, ammunition in the magazine, even if the magazine is not in the gun, makes the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: When is a gun considered "Loaded"?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Ammunition in the gun makes it "loaded." In certain jurisdictions, ammunition in the magazine, even if the magazine is not in the gun, makes the gun loaded.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Keep the gun loaded...unload the wife!
    What he said!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

You buddy is right, nother but air in the chanber or a semi, or an unloaded second round in a wheel gun.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar

2 cents

Of course the legal definition in a given state may vary, but I'm leaning towards a weapon is loaded if there is a round in the chamber - & unloaded without a magazine or when the magazine has rounds, but none are chambered.

I've been carrying in-home/on-property for 6 months or so with a full magazine, but no round chambered to ensure that I will handle it properly with no accidental trigger pulls. I've taught myself to keep the finger off the trigger until I'm ready to shoot & always drop the mag & clear the weapon when moving it from holster to safe, or vice-versa, as needed throughout the day. When my permit arrives, I expect that I will always have a round chambered & ready to go when I'm wearing a weapon - on or off property.

A weapon without a magazine (or a bullet) in it is just a nice paperweight. A loaded weapon that sits in a safe is worthless in an emergency.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Always assume it is always loaded unless you ascertain the chamber and magazine well are empty. The better you maintain this mentality, the safer you will be.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    All guns are always loaded. I won't even point the barrel of a disassembled weapon at someone. For legal transport no round in chamber, no clip engaged and all rounds in a separate locked container.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    All guns are always loaded. I won't even point the barrel of a disassembled weapon at someone. For legal transport no round in chamber, no clip engaged and all rounds in a separate locked container.
    a gun is always loaded until you clear it yourself, as for transport, some of the wackier NE states consider a gun loaded even if the mag is out of the gun but in the same locked container, be careful when traveling in the gun unfriendly states

I did not read any of the other statements but I have never seen an unloaded gun. Every gun I have ever handled, mine are a friends, in my mind has been loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Technically unloaded: No round of ammunition in the chamber

unloaded by most laws: No round in the chamber, no rounds in any magazines

Rule of thumb: Gun is always loaded until physically cleared.

My definition is a combination of the rule of thumb and the technical definition. I believe it would depend on the state also. In California you can carry an "unloaded" pistol in a holster and even loaded magazines but they can't be put together.
    I agree with this and the reasoning is if you hand a firearm to somebody ,and you both aren't following safe protocol and he works the action and pulls the trigger,he will say "YOU SAID IT WAS UNLOADED"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First, point it at the side of your head, pull the trigger....if there is a loud "bang" followed by brain matter flying out of the other side of your head, then I would consider it loaded. If the opposite occurs (faint "click" sound) after pulling the trigger, then it was unloaded.

My point is that it doesn't matter. I always consider a gun to be loaded even when I am 100% sure it's not.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I am more inclined to agree with the wife. The gun is loaded but unchambered. Either way I would suggest that he sends his wife to Cornered Cat and sign her up for a class. See if he can find a class dealing with just women and guns, hopefully with a female instructor.

To the op, there really is no purpose to the debate of what constitutes loaded. Once a domestic violence charge is made all guns will be removed from the house anyway. The husband is playing with fire if she's really worried about it. All she has to say is she feels threatened by a loaded gun and right, wrong, or indifferent, there's going to be a show. He may get them back but he won't avoid the ride.

Edited to add: just realized this is about a two year old post so yippy, guess I'm along for the resurrection.

just tell the wife its none of her business......and then you can move into the garage.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Op - are they divorced yet?
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

throw her out; problem solved

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links