When is a gun considered "Loaded"?

This is a discussion on When is a gun considered "Loaded"? within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My buddy and I where talking today and he mentioned that his in-laws where having domestic problems as a result of a firearm. Apparently, the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: When is a gun considered "Loaded"?

My buddy and I where talking today and he mentioned that his in-laws where having domestic problems as a result of a firearm. Apparently, the wife is very anti gun and the husband has a CCW and keeps his gun in the house.

As a compromise, the husband said he would keep the gun unloaded while it was in the house.

I guess there was a misunderstanding of what "Unloaded" meant. The wife thought that unloaded meant no bullets in or near the gun, and the husband said a un-chambered gun was an unloaded gun because it was unable to fire by pulling the trigger.

So, my buddy asked me, which definition of unloaded did I think was right?

I told him that technically the wife was right, per rules for interstate travel with a firearm, but from a practical point of view, an unloaded gun was virtually useless when needed.

How would you guys have answered this question?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Technically unloaded: No round of ammunition in the chamber

unloaded by most laws: No round in the chamber, no rounds in any magazines

Rule of thumb: Gun is always loaded until physically cleared.

My definition is a combination of the rule of thumb and the technical definition. I believe it would depend on the state also. In California you can carry an "unloaded" pistol in a holster and even loaded magazines but they can't be put together.
    Chevyguy85 and MattInFla like this.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think technically unloaded is just that no ammo in the gun. I would try to argue that an empty chamber meant an unloaded gun (as long as I am arguing with HIS wife). : )
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Depends on your state.

In Utah, the husband would be right.

Here is Utah's definition:

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050200.htm

(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
    (2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
    (3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

VIP Member
    As a wise old married man, all is irrelevant, save to say the wife is right.
    DanielC and FPW823 like this.

I believe the military definition of "loaded" is "ready to fire." Unfortunately, those making rules (laws) in the civilian world tend not to pay attention to such practicalities, and make stuff up as they go along. In the old state of CT, I could leave the field at the end of a day of hunting with an empty chamber but with rounds in the magazine, but a couple of years ago the rules changed and now the gun is considered "loaded" if there are any rounds in the gun at all.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Any time the gun is in your hands, or when one is pointed at you. For others? When they see it. Technically speaking of course.
    Not taking any sides here, but a frying pan without something cooking in it could still be hot. Many folks have met their demise with an unloaded gun. Maybe more so than with a loaded gun. An unloaded gun is one you've checked yourself meticulously.
    This could be a "loaded" question.
    REDROCKET, Tzadik and pinklady like this.

RKM
    Technically, an empty chamber is unloaded. Loaded magazine inserted, empty chamber...that's debatable.

Theoretically, a gun is ALWAYS loaded.

If I was in this situation, while the gun is stored for HD, I'd maybe keep the slide locked back with the magazine sitting beside it. Personally, my Hk in my nightstand as well as my carry guns, Glock and Kahr are stored with loaded mags, +1 at all times in their holsters.

Tough situation. Are there kids around? What exactly is she afraid will happen? Perhaps he should have a retention holster with a deal that it will not be removed from the holster inside the house. Trigger covered, no problem.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think in Kansas it's pretty much the same as the Utah law (above). If it takes more than one mechanical action to discharge the firearm it is considered unloaded. Now, if a semi-auto pistol has the safety on...? I don't know.

However, if a revolver has a cylinder full of cartridges, it would be considered loaded. On the other hand, if my shotgun has a full tube of 00 buck but none in the chamber, it, technically, is unloaded. Not sure of the cops or DA would agree until it came before a judge, and I'd prefer not going down that road.

I understand the situation proffered in the original post has nothing to do with the legal definition of "loaded." In that scenario I'd probably defer to my wife but keep the ammo close by.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Tough situation. Are there kids around? What exactly is she afraid will happen? Perhaps he should have a retention holster with a deal that it will not be removed from the holster inside the house. Trigger covered, no problem.
    +1 on the holster suggestion.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

I'd be looking for a new wife!
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

True Grit : "did you have the gun loaded and cocked", Rooster... " of course, a gun that's not loaded and cocked is useless... why , it don't even make sense ".

I agree.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

No round in the chamber = unloaded.

Any other definition is ignorant. Yes--the laws of various States are indicative of ignorance by law-makers/politicians.

However, in the "gun world" parlance..."unload and make safe" = no round in the chamber, no mag in the firearm

The wife is speaking from ignorance...but doesn't that reflect all anti-gunners?

Something tells me this is something beyond the whole "I don't want guns in the house" rant...this is a fight for control by the wife.
    REDROCKET likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'd be looking for a new wife!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd seriously be thinking of Hiram's post above.
    As the old saying goes, lifes to short to dance with chubby chicks (pun intended), or deal with Anti-gunners, let alone live with them( the anti-gunners) or God forbid, marry them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Depends on your state.

In Utah, the husband would be right.

Here is Utah's definition:

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050200.htm
    ^^^^I agree with the definition above^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links