Fundamentals Question New Shooter Here

This is a discussion on Fundamentals Question New Shooter Here within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Hey all, So i've determined after checking many times that I am right eye dominant however I am left handed. Should I be shooting right ...

Thread: Fundamentals Question New Shooter Here

Fundamentals Question New Shooter Here

Hey all,

So i've determined after checking many times that I am right eye dominant however I am left handed. Should I be shooting right handed then?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    What exact firearm will you be carrying/shooting?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Either XDM 9 or SP101 2.25 thanks

There are people that are left eye dominant and shoot right handed and the other way around. What feels more natural to you and which are you better at?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

So far i'm better with a longer barrel and more even breathing LOL

So.....do you always shoot with both eyes opened? I'm sure you've done the tests on yourself. Look at rather distant object both eyes opened, point to it with your dominant hand, then close your eyes on at a time. The eye that is right on is your dominant eye. Eye dominance is worth more points since the eyes are closer to the brain. While one can learn and adapt somewhat to becoming ambi-dexterous, the eye rules. I've tied shooting weak handed with non-dominant eye. It short circuits my brain after a couple of rounds, and I have to close my dominant eye to accomplish that. I'm right handed, right eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open most of the time with a two hand hold. Single handed, I'm more than likely to go with my dominant eye for the weak hand with both eyes opened, but if I close my dominant eye, I'm just wasting ammo and messing with my head.
    IMO.......shoot with your strong hand, and use your dominant eye. Using a semi-auto pistol or revolver. Keep both eyes opened, and work naturally.

I've check and am clearly right eye dominant. I shoot that way. Just wondering if it's wrong since I hold left handed. thanks

If you are new to shooting, I would reccomend that you learn to shoot right handed since you are right eye dominate.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think it would be harder to change hands than eyes. Try it both ways and see which you think is most adaptable. Lefties, go figure.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    As a rule, the majority are opposite hand dominance. It is because of the cross over that the nervous system takes leaving the head. The right side of your brain controls your left extremities and vice versa... this is why right handed people are said to be left brained (calcualting, formula driven) and left handed people are right brained (more artistic tendency and free form impulse driven), however, as the eyes are still in the head , they are pre-crossover.

I am right handed, but strongly left eye domniant. This proves to be problematic when shooting rifles as I cannot allign my left eye behind the sights and have to close my left eye. With pistols, however, you have the benefit of leaving both eyes open (improving situational awareness) and still aiming with your dominant eye by just slightly turning your head.

So, in response to your question, there is no need to learn to shoot weak handed to compensate for your eye dominance, I do recommend learning weak hand shooting for practicality, your strong hand might not be available on the day you need it most. But start with what is comfortable and go from there.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Shot gun and hand gun I have shot with both eyes open forever, this is a problem with a rifle or anything with a scope.... When I was a kid i did a lot of shot gun hunting and trap shooting with my Dad so and was in the military before I ever knew people shot with one eye ... true haha I thought every one used both eyes when shooting..

Links