Rifle shooting from the prone position questions...

This is a discussion on Rifle shooting from the prone position questions... within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have been shooting tactical carbine style bowling pin matches for a couple of years now and I finally decided that I want to give ...

Thread: Rifle shooting from the prone position questions...

Rifle shooting from the prone position questions...

I have been shooting tactical carbine style bowling pin matches for a couple of years now and I finally decided that I want to give some unsupported long range shooting a try.

I have hit a speed-bump in this road though, when I shoot from the prone it is never comfortable. Usually it hurts just above my lower back, not enough to be serious, but enough to most likely prevent any serious attempt at long range marksmanship. Anyone here have any experience or training tips that they think might be useful?

2. Remove Ads

First, make the rifle as tight in your shoulder as possible. If this is painful, you are doing it right. Try positioning your body slightly perpendicular to the target and cock you leg(bend knee) on shooting side may help. Third, make sure you have a natural point of aim, by adjusting your body so that the sites are on target even when you look away from the sites. Use a sling around your arm to make the rifle butt fit tight into your shoulder.

With enough practice your body will loosen up and be more accomadating.

I am assuming you are using 20 round mags. There is no way I can shoot 30 round mags comfortably and accurately from prone.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

30 rounders. We used these in the prone for the 500 yard targets in the service. 10 shots.

Lead Moderator
    Best advice , find someone who knows how to show you/coach the basics. Most gun clubs seem to have a CMP related group who shoot hi power service rifle.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Oh yeah, I've been using either Vietnam Style 20 round GI magazines or Lancer L5 20 rounders.

What's a better method of securing the rifle to my shoulder when I don't have a sling available?

You could use a bi-pod. That's what I use. I deploy bi-pod, put rifle butt into my shoulder...to make it (butt and shoulder "weld") extra secure/tight I kinda lean into the bi-pod. Make sure you have a good strong one. I use a Harris.

shooting right handed.......I square my upper body with the rifle, then cant my lower body off to the left a bit and bring up my right leg...everything just lines up. Now if I'm shooting for a while and working the scope, breathing deciplines, trying to be extra still etc.etc. things get a little tight in the neck...I have to get up and loosin up a bit...then get back down and practice more.

Here's how old men with old rifles go prone in a rapid fire stage. My brother-in-law made a clip of me reloading the M1.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=DSCF2262.mp4

I always have used 20-round magazines when shooting the AR 15 in high-power competition.

Prone isn't necessarily comfortable but it is highly effective with a proper sling. If you have any specific questions then perhaps we could help out.

Only my opinion but I will have nothing to do with a bi-pod. It is only so much baggage. I like the M1907 leather sling, especially as sold by Brownell's, as I am so used to its function. All my usin' rifles wear this sling or a sporting variation thereof.

"Position Rifle Shooting" by Pullum and Hanenkrat is a good reference that contains details about the prone position.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; January 26th, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I like my grip-pod... pops out some feet lickety-split for when I want 'em. However, using a sling to brace works great as well while prone or standing.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Thanks guys, next time I'm out at the range I'll have to give some of these techniques a try. I'm also looking to hopefully attend an Appleseed shoot with my wife in the near future.

An Appleseed is good. I'd been shooting high-power for 25 years before going to one to see what it is all about. Be sure an grab an instructor and pick his brain. Hands-on demonstrations can't be beat.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

bmcgilvray you move pretty good for an old man (I am 64 so I can say that to you). Nice clip work and slide manipulation bro.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    When firing my AR-15 rifle, I use the prone position from my belly as well as left and right side prone. The last two are the most overlooked and obscure prone firing positions but are also essential skills to add to your tools.

Links