Question for all you women shooters out there.

This is a discussion on Question for all you women shooters out there. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My wife has recently started to take up shooting rifles with me but she has a bit of an issue. She can't seem to figure ...

Thread: Question for all you women shooters out there.

Question for all you women shooters out there.

My wife has recently started to take up shooting rifles with me but she has a bit of an issue. She can't seem to figure out where to comfortably place the stock. She complains that it's either on her arm (incorrect) or her breast (hot, but also incorrect). Since I don't have the terrible burden of breasts in my way, I'm not sure what to tell her. I've repeated in the pocket of your shoulder ad nausem amount of times, but she says the problem persists. She's petite, if it matters.

2. Remove Ads

My wife shhot with me too... the stock is probably too long for her (my wife shoots a youth size stock problem solved) but it requires getting a rifle that fits her. a good rule of thumb is to measure a stack againt the distance from her elbow (bent) to trigget finger..... If the stock is to long for her to reach the trigger while resting on her bent elbow she will have a great deal of trouble sitting it correctly when shooting...

Thanks Kerby! luckily she's learning on a Sig 522 (I have a 10/22 with tech sights but she likes the 522 better) and that gun has an adjustable stock, hopefully that'll help her. I'll definitely be trying that tonight.

Stock fit is important. Also, to show her where the pocket is and how it should feel have her bend her arm at a 90 deg angle (like she's doing a bicep curl), then lift arm outward with her elbow at shoulder level. That pocket should be very evident now. Now you take the rifle at an upward 45 deg angle and place it in the pocket for her. Then she can lower it to a level position. Once she feels where it should be, she can hold the rifle up at the same angle and do it for herself until mounting it becomes more natural. A frequent problem with new, small, shooters is that they try to put the entire butt of the stock against their shoulder and wind up with the comb way too low and their head contorted to freaky positions in order to see the sights. It's okay if only the bottom half to 3/4's of the butt is in the pocket where the butt should be - that's how I shoot my .270 and can shoot 100+ rounds that way.

VIP Member
    +1 on the stock fit. When my son was smaller, he started to come skeet/trap/sporting clay shooting with me. I took the stock off my old Mossberg 500 and put on a tactical stock that adjusted for length. That let him shoot comfortable and it grew with him to boot. I realize your wife is probably done groing, but she can play with different lengths to find what suits her.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links