Gun Storage

This is a discussion on Gun Storage within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've been storing my Glocks loaded+1 in their original cases. I don't own a safe yet and I need them to be easily and quickly ...

Thread: Gun Storage

Gun Storage

I've been storing my Glocks loaded+1 in their original cases. I don't own a safe yet and I need them to be easily and quickly accessible to my wife when i'm away.

Is there any evidence of ND by storing them this way? Is it possible that the foam inside be stiff enough to activate the trigger? Hmm?
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You bring up a good point. I don't think so, but that trigger safety is so easily defeated that I suppose it could be possible. Anything and everything can depress that little lever. Would it also move the trigger far enough to fire? Again, I doubt it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I thought of this after reading about the LEO with the rifle in the case incident. Two totaly different situations but, anything is possible. On the other hand, the foam being stiff enough to move that trigger is a stretch.
    Luis

Mike Tyson

Are you locking them in the pistol cases? I keep a couple pistols loaded all the time and I prefer to keep them in pocket holsters. The trigger is protected and they are ready to go. My carry pistol goes in a pocket holster on my night stand when I go to bed so its accessible if needed but the trigger is protected for when I grab it in the dark and maybe just want to take it with me to investigate something the dog or I might have heard. I keep my 380 loaded, in a pocket holster and locked in a file cabinet were it is easy to get to as I use it 3 or 4 times a week when I go to the gym and don't want to load and unload it all the time and have to worry about bullet set back. I found a cheap nylon Uncle Mikes pancake holster works well as a pocket type holster with the wings removed for larger pistols like my XD.

Distinguished Member
    I have never seen the foam on my cases move a trigger in the slightest, however, if the foam was compressed enough it could in the right circunstances be possible. If you are concerned about this, I would recommmend you buy a pelican brand pistol case that you can pluck out the foma in the shape of the gun. The gun then rests inside the foam and not on it. I think there are some other brands of cases that offer the same option, but pelican is one that stuck in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I have never seen the foam on my cases move a trigger in the slightest, however, if the foam was compressed enough it could in the right circunstances be possible. If you are concerned about this, I would recommmend you buy a pelican brand pistol case that you can pluck out the foma in the shape of the gun. The gun then rests inside the foam and not on it. I think there are some other brands of cases that offer the same option, but pelican is one that stuck in my mind.
    Excellent idea! Thank you.
    Luis

Mike Tyson

Links