BabyJanq's 'First Shots' Pt 1 & 2 ~ Age 8 - Page 2

BabyJanq's 'First Shots' Pt 1 & 2 ~ Age 8

This is a discussion on BabyJanq's 'First Shots' Pt 1 & 2 ~ Age 8 within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Outstanding! Imagine how well she'll do once she can easily reach the trigger. Tell her "Congratulations!" from all of us. As others have noticed, it's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BabyJanq's 'First Shots' Pt 1 & 2 ~ Age 8

Outstanding! Imagine how well she'll do once she can easily reach the trigger. Tell her "Congratulations!" from all of us.

As others have noticed, it's great to see good trigger discipline and directional control. We all know adults who can't exhibit such thoughtful control over a firearm as she's showing in the pics. Kudos.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    ...Do any of you folks use a bb/pellet for training? I have enough yard to shoot a BB gun safely, my range does not allow drawing from holsters. The BB gun should fit in my holster so it seems like a good idea. Plus its just fun to shoot stuff whenever I want. Comments?
    I do, and have been doing this for years now which is why I'd bought it.
    At one point I had planned to use it indoors but the velocity from this gun is so high that when fired at a paper target 21' away there is no POI drop.
    I used it indoors, once, and found both the noise AND the velocity were too high out of concern for ricochet. This is nothing like my dads old 70s vintage hand pump Crosman that I used to swipe as a kid.
    Treat it like a real firearm because it is a REAL firearm, powered by CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    One thing I thought about though is ricochet. Should she drop the shot a little, you're chancing one bouncing back off the deck lumber.
    Which is why I mandated this day wearing of safety goggles, even as it's 'just a BB gun'.
    The wood is soft enough and the velocity of this gun high enough that the BB will embed itself into a given post. I tested it prior.
    Next time though I'll have put up a proper target stand. This particular day was unplanned as she approached me :30M prior and asked if I could show her how to shoot. I don't apply pressure and so up to then I'd told her it'll be when she decides to ask that I'd allow her to shoot one of my guns.
    The day and time came...And I was stunned then reacted quickly before the sun began to set.

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Janq, got a model or link on that trainer?
    "Crosman manufactured CO2 powered BB projectile facsimile of the Walther P99C 'Compact'."
    The Crosmann website no longer shows it but they now have many other models that were not available 5 yrs. ago when I bought mine fro Dicks for $67.
    http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...goryId=2098729

Thanks all, and yes the trigger fit is/was less than optimal.
    But it was either that or telling her no you cannot shoot. It wasn't terrible though and she's growing like a weed so I suspect by spring of this year she'll be better there if not fine.

Up to this day she had told me she was afraid to shoot because she though the recoil would hurt her hand.
    On her own she thought to give it a try. She's been my 'range assistant' for five years now helping me with that specific gun load the magazine, setup my targets in the backyard and watch me review the gun to be sure it is _safe_.

In the spring I am going to pickup some .22 Short and let her run that through my .22 bullseye pistol, and to also try out my bolt rifle running .22LR...The rifle weighs 7.5 lbs and has no recoil while with it's long barrel the report is distant.
    I just will have to find a time to do it when nobody else is around so that she's not thrown off by others firing shotguns, blackpowder and ARs.

Take it slow and with no pressure as at her own pace.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

She's a cutie, getting her ready for when the boys start calling in a few years.

My son (will turn 8 in a few weeks) has been asking about a pistol. He enjoys shooting his Kricket and has safety in mind when doing so, along with good trigger discipline. I guess I will have to get out the CO2 pistol and let him have a go at it before putting the Ruger Automatic in his hands.

Keep up the good work.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Great.

Taught my daughter to shoot with a single shot 22 rifle,today she owns a M&P 9c for protection and a Sig Mosquito for cheaper shooting.Knowing your kids have the ability and mindset to protect themselves is a good thing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good stance!

P.S. I'd say she's ready for a .22LR handgun (under Daddy's continued supervision, of course). :)

Great father/daughter time, and great shooting on her part.
    You DO REALIZE that the day is ahead where she will out shoot you?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

ret,

I very much look forward to that day, with hope. : )

My plan is not to require that either of my kids become shooters.
    Simply I wish to expose them and to make sure they have basic competency; Akin to teaching them how to operate a clutch transmission, drive a motorcycle and drive a car on the road.
    Life necessary device operation skills...Not that I'd expect either of them to become a bus driver, racecar driver or choose a motorcycle as a means of getting from point to point.

I also plan to purchase them both when their age is lawful and their temperament (mental maturity) along with life situation well support it; Their choice of a handgun, shotgun and a .22 pistol or rifle....Along with an IOU card toward a years worth of ammo on Da-Da.
    A handgun for self defense, a shotgun for sporting & recreation including hunting and the .22 to train with on the cheap.
    Both of my kids have been asking if I'd give them my guns when they get older and I told them no, but I will give them their own guns to have and to hold when the time comes.

IMHO from American this is very important to support and encourage among our own ranks (as opposed to defend against those who do not understand us).
    This is especially important among minoritys including specifically those of us who are Negro (not just US originated 'Afro-American') as we generally by population has always been through history and are in modern times the ones who need access to use of arms for defense most (criminal victimization) and yet our community by political and social position tradition current have discouraged as toward our ownselves the _lawful_ support of what is a basic human right nevermind that of the 2nd A. As though many of us have completely forgotten,or never learned, our own American history.

I'd had this conversation with my 3 yr. old cousin two weeks ago while I was in MS for a funeral.
    He looked at me as though I were from Venus when I told him that not only do I posses firearms but that I actually train to be proficient in their use, I hunt and teach same to others as well as carry arms on my person for use toward defense of my family and myself, on whihc my family depends for their own preservation. He himself has two children by two women all four of which depend on him for support and guidance.
    Additionally I'd had this exact conversation last night with my long time protege who is a former employee of mine who now living outside of ATL is seeing encroachment of criminal element among his familys neighborhood to the point that last week police engaged two criminals with their handguns and shotguns trained as in a wooded lot that borders his own home. The criminals turned out to be armed with .22 pistols....he watched this unfold as from his kitchen and balcony window, his family of 5 children and wife in their home not knowing what to do and terrified.

As adults my children will never not know what to do; If I do my job to the best of my ability, even half right.
    So help me God.

In my book this is parenting.
    No different than how I teach my kids at home (with school being supplemental not primary) how to read, write, do math, enjoy the arts and to make use of critical thinking throughout all components of their daily lives past, present and into their no longer a child future.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    ret,

I very much look forward to that day, with hope. : )

My plan is not to require that either of my kids become shooters.
    Simply I wish to expose them and to make sure they have basic competency; Akin to teaching them how to operate a clutch transmission, drive a motorcycle and drive a car on the road.
    Life necessary device operation skills...Not that I'd expect either of them to become a bus driver, racecar driver or choose a motorcycle as a means of getting from point to point.

I also plan to purchase them both when their age is lawful and their temperament (mental maturity) along with life situation well support it; Their choice of a handgun, shotgun and a .22 pistol or rifle....Along with an IOU card toward a years worth of ammo on Da-Da.
    A handgun for self defense, a shotgun for sporting & recreation including hunting and the .22 to train with on the cheap.
    Both of my kids have been asking if I'd give them my guns when they get older and I told them no, but I will give them their own guns to have and to hold when the time comes.

IMHO from American this is very important to support and encourage among our own ranks (as opposed to defend against those who do not understand us).
    This is especially important among minoritys including specifically those of us who are Negro (not just US originated 'Afro-American') as we generally by population has always been through history and are in modern times the ones who need access to use of arms for defense most (criminal victimization) and yet our community by political and social position tradition current have discouraged as toward our ownselves the _lawful_ support of what is a basic human right nevermind that of the 2nd A. As though many of us have completely forgotten,or never learned, our own American history.

I'd had this conversation with my 3 yr. old cousin two weeks ago while I was in MS for a funeral.
    He looked at me as though I were from Venus when I told him that not only do I posses firearms but that I actually train to be proficient in their use, I hunt and teach same to others as well as carry arms on my person for use toward defense of my family and myself, on whihc my family depends for their own preservation. He himself has two children by two women all four of which depend on him for support and guidance.
    Additionally I'd had this exact conversation last night with my long time protege who is a former employee of mine who now living outside of ATL is seeing encroachment of criminal element among his familys neighborhood to the point that last week police engaged two criminals with their handguns and shotguns trained as in a wooded lot that borders his own home. The criminals turned out to be armed with .22 pistols....he watched this unfold as from his kitchen and balcony window, his family of 5 children and wife in their home not knowing what to do and terrified.

As adults my children will never not know what to do; If I do my job to the best of my ability, even half right.
    So help me God.

In my book this is parenting.
    No different than how I teach my kids at home (with school being supplemental not primary) how to read, write, do math, enjoy the arts and to make use of critical thinking throughout all components of their daily lives past, present and into their no longer a child future.

- Janq
    Awesome words of wisdom, very refreshing to read Jang.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links