What not to do when playing with your gun.

This is a discussion on What not to do when playing with your gun. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; He learned the hard way. AD I Shot Myself Yesterday...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What not to do when playing with your gun.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar

What not to do when playing with your gun.

He learned the hard way. AD

I Shot Myself Yesterday

2. Remove Ads

geez....

I have to say, one night I "unloaded " one to clean it, and actually thought about dry firing it, and told myself NO >>> EVEN IF I KNEW it was UNLOADED, don't do it. Then I cycled the slide to open it .... out came a bullet. Duh, I hadn't cleared the chamber .... just as he said.

Since then, I have never ever ever thought about dry firing anything unless I purposely put in a RED snap cap and check it 5 times first, and even then it's pointed at something that will stop a bullet if it were there, and not my body or anything else it could do harm.

Finger "OFF" the trigger, pointed a safe direction. Right guys .
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

i always check the chamber and point in a safe direction before dry firing to disassemble. You have to remember the SAFETY RULES!
    msgt/ret, pinklady and oneshot like this.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

I watched one of the guys shoot a hole through the floor of the office one day with his Glock 22. At least he had pointed in a safe direction but that may have not been the best either since we were upstairs and the floor was wooden. Luckily no one was below us and we did find the bullet. That cost him about a weeks worth of pay too. He was going to field strip it and didn't unload it correctly.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    i always check the chamber and point in a safe direction before dry firing to disassemble. You have to remember the SAFETY RULES!
    This says it all!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Just a reminder that every one of us is human, and as much as you think this could never be you - remember, he thought the same thing.

Be careful out there.

A few months ago I was shooting a carbine match with one of the local IDPA clubs. Range rules are a cold range, no magazine, bolt locked back. I'd transported my AR to the range with a self-defense magazine in it (which I usually don't do). When I "cleared" the weapon after getting it out of the car, I pulled back the charging handle, confirmed no round in the chamber, and closed the bolt (mistake, should have left it open). I'd also neglected to EJECT THE MAGAZINE when I did that so when I released the bolt I chambered a round. The rifle was slung the whole time, pointed in relatively safe direction (down), booger hook away from the trigger. Imagine my surprise 5 minutes later when I went to lock the bolt back and a round ejected :-\ I was more embarrassed than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    i always check the chamber and point in a safe direction before dry firing to disassemble. You have to remember - and practice - the SAFETY RULES!
    Fixed it.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i keep a unused pencil on my bench. it helps when checking that a firing pin works after reassembly and ( for 380 and up) it verifies that the bbl has nothing in it: insert pencil and hold it where it meets the muzzle; than hold it on the outside of the bbl. i will be obvious if there is something in the bbl.
    even if i am alone in the room, i check the gun each time i pick it up. takes a moment but can save a life...or hours of patching the wall while trying to answer the ringing in your ears.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I know it's bad, but the first thing I did upon reading that was laugh a little.
    I had been field stripping (playing with) it several times during the day. studying it's mechanisms. Thought I'd do it one more time before heading home.
    Not because he shot himself; because he managed to shoot himself playing with his new toy. --Which is why we don't play with guns.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member
    He started out behind the curve. "Don't PLAY with your gun."

revolvingmag beat me to it.

Yup guns ain't toys you play with.If you are training to develope muscle memory etc. you need to set aside a time and make sure the weapon is unloaded and live ammo is out of the training area,that way once you exit training area no more dry fire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The gun shouldn't clear the safety of its holster unless there is a good reason. "Playing with it" is what got him shot. If he needs to be familiar with his weapon, he should do so in a proper place at a proper time when his attention is focused on what he is doing. So many safety precautions violated here it is difficult to pinpoint just one. It can happen to anyone, but we should do things to mitigate the risks at all cost...like not play with our guns, limit handling, etc.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    It's one thing to make a mistake and have one in the chamber. That's not excusable, but it needn't be a fatal error. Pulling the trigger when some part of you (or someone else) is on the other end of the barrel... I keep my guns pointed in a safe direction even when cleaning them. You have to have really messed up the way you learned the safety rules if you ever cover the barrel with some part of your body while pulling the trigger.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
    RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

As has been stated , and re-stated here many times,
    BOOGER HOOK OFF BANG SWITCH for cryin' out loud.

Seems about as common sense as keeping your foot OFF the accelerator pedal until you want to go forward.

If something coulda' been bigger than saucers, I bet his eyes were, the instant he saw red all over the van.
    Glad he will be alright.

If a cat always lands on its feet, and buttered bread always lands butter side down, what would happen if you tied buttered bread on top of a cat?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links