Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally

This is a discussion on Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Words fail me....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally

VIP Member

Words fail me.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

Wow, this sucks all the way around.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Like most guns, Glocks are made for grown-ups. Evidently, there weren't any in this extremely tragic story.
    oneshot likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I believe the story indicated it was a Glock. No safety to switch off.
    Hey, I carry a Glock, and I have children (3). But even when they were young, I always practiced perfect safety. There was no gun in the house they could ever get to, and I would always have one on me, but in a holster and hidden and under my complete control.

I resent any implication that Glocks are somehow "unsafe".
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    And the article linked & quoted up there didn't mention the brand of pistol. But you're right, if it was a Glock & the kid could depress the trigger (not hard to do) the safety would have come off.
    Agreed. I like Glocks well enough. But I do not think they should be around children. I don't think ANY child should be around an un-holstered handgun (or any gun). But, I think Glocks are a little less safe around people who can unknowingly fire it, versus something like a 1911 with a thumb and grip safety. I don't believe that there is ANY safe handgun; there are just some safer than others.

I know that i probably didn't word this very well, but I hope you get the general feeling behind this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

It just goes to show that some people don't need to have guns or kids.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

UPDATE : Child Named in Shooting.

Toddler
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

It doesnt take long. Kids get into everything, be careful for god sake.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Angry Again, Really Bad : Father of Toddler Killed Had CCW Permit

Follow up to my earlier post on this tragic story. Apparently the father did possess a Kentucky Concealed Carry Permit but did not want to take the firearm into Cheddar's Restaurant. That is why it was in the console of the vehicle when the toddler gained access to it. My wife and I have gone to that restaurant many times, carrying our handguns concealed (KY honours WV Permits) but have never seen a sign posted by the place prohibiting concealed carry. I have had a buddy from Florida who is a police officer up for a visit and he also carried his service pistol in there as well. I don't know Just a real tragedy all around, many things done wrong and the ultimate is a 2 year old dying needlessly.

Toddler's death sparks warnings

May 24, 2011 @ 12:00 AM

DAVID E. MALLOY

The Herald-Dispatch

ASHLAND, KY -- The father of a 2-year-old girl who apparently shot herself in the face and later died had a concealed weapons permit to carry the small-caliber handgun, said Major Todd Kelley of the Ashland Police Department.

Full story : Toddler's death sparks warnings - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Unfortunately, it only took one mistake to lead to this tragedy. Sad.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Sad all around. I live in Lexington, KY and have my CDWL. I carry in all the restaurants here, and yes even Cheddars. I've never seen any restaurants posted with gunbuster signs. His weapon should have been secured in the holster.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The poor toddler shot herself right in her face. Can you imagine the horrific sight that the parents must have seen?

It appears that no criminal charges have been filed against either of the parents. Perhaps the authorities believe that the loss of their daughter is more than enough punishment already.

I, personally, am tired of the media calling it an "accidental discharge". It just perpetuates the myth that guns are bad things that we try to control. They need to call it what it is...sheer negligence. They don't make guns that "just go off" anymore. Even 'cocked and locked', it takes a person to pull the hammer back- and that person is responsible. The more the media portrays it as some 'act of God', the less responsibility some people will take. Deeply saddened by this event...

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    There is a Chinese proverb - that it is the greatest curse of the Gods to outlive one's own child.

As a parent, I can only imagine how devastated I would feel if my child died: for any reason. I would venture to say that whatever their peers and society can hand to them in terms of punishment for their crime simply pales against their own regret and guilt. For their loss, my heart sincerely goes out to them.

I'm deeply saddened at this event, but as with many of the others here, I am also very, very angered by it. This wasn't an accident, this was negligence, pure and simple.

As parents of toddlers, it's an understood rule-of-nature that our toddlers can and will get to virtually anything. It's why so many of us gun-owning parents of these little ones spend so much of our time obsessing over our gun-safety measures.

I don't doubt that these parents also gave thought to such processes, but sadly, they apparently did not do enough.

I think we should take tragedies such as these to focus on our own efforts to properly secure our firearms, and to also make sure that our friends and loved-ones who are firearms owners are made aware of such concerns. And furthermore, to redouble our efforts at teaching our children the rules of firearms safety (granted, this particular child, at age two, should not have been expected to know better - but as parents, we also know that it's good to start as early as possible, as soon as we think that our children shows interest and are able to mentally process the proper/expected reactions).
    JoJoGunn likes this.

VIP Member
    This is absolutely heartbreaking. There's really no excuse. Parents lose children through carelessness, inattention, and negligence. Children die many times more frequently by poison, drowning, falls, and auto accidents. But when there is a case involving a gun, the media will scream. This is a reminder to all of us. I don’t leave a gun in the car or out of arms reach unless it’s in a locking safe of some kind. We must maintain control of our weapons at all times, period.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links