Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally

This is a discussion on Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Well I agree some what. yes I think there should be charges. But you now if it was anyone that has death of there child ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally

Well I agree some what. yes I think there should be charges. But you now if it was anyone that has death of there child on them and it being there fault you know it would hunt them for the rest of there life and that there is a bad enough punishment.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    That is sad to hear. but my question is why was the gun close enough for the child to reach? that is stupid thing right there. Why was the gun not on the person or lock up unloaded.
    I think, unfortunately, the perception was that the center console was inaccessible to the child.

Unfortunately, children often perform the impossible - anything short of locked, I consider that it is *possible* for my daughter is able to get to.

It's not necessarily stupidity. It's like RockBottom said, it's just a momentary lapse in judgement.

As a parent, I know that I've lapsed in judgement at times.

So far, not firearms, but yes, there have been moments which I can close my eyes, and envision a distinctly different life for me. Very, very scary moments.

Whether it be by the grace of God or whatever higher power there may be - or just sheer stupid luck - that I avoided those outcomes...I consider it a blessing, and I'm thankful for those graces each and every time I lay my eyes on my daughter.

As parents, I think that the vast majority of us do try to do our absolute best.

But in the end, we're all human.

My God this breaks my heart. For the poor little baby and the parents. I couldn't imagine.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Pressing charges or taking them to court to punish seems redundant. They have already been punished for their negligence, it cost them a daughter.

As humans, we have flaws and sometimes they come with deadly and tragic consequences but things like this happen and will most likely continue to happen.

Ever since that ancient child grabbed his daddy's flint-tipped spear, fell on it and died, we have been seeing deaths of children for apparently no reason what so ever.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Pressing charges or taking them to court to punish seems redundant. They have already been punished for their negligence, it cost them a daughter.

As humans, we have flaws and sometimes they come with deadly and tragic consequences but things like this happen and will most likely continue to happen.

Ever since that ancient child grabbed his daddy's flint-tipped spear, fell on it and died, we have been seeing deaths of children for apparently no reason what so ever.
    That is true.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post

Agreed. Like I said earlier, part of me wants to say press charges. But I know good and well they're already suffering immensely. That and putting one or more parents in jail is going to make life even more of a nightmare for the remaining parent and children...
    TSiWRX likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Agreed. Like I said earlier, part of me wants to say press charges. But I know good and well they're already suffering immensely. That and putting one or more parents in jail is going to make life even more of a nightmare for the remaining parent and children...
    And even though this point seems minor in light of the tragedy, when you put people in jail, somebody has to pay for their upkeep, and in this case, a person who was probably a tax paying citizen with no prior trouble with the law is removed from society. Does society, as a whole, benefit when we do this? Will punishing one person's lapse of judgement be sufficient to prevent another person's lapse? Most likely not, and that's one of the reasons no charges were filed.

A 25 dollar in vehicle gun safe like the center of mass safe would have prevented this tragedy. 25 dollars. Thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    And exactly what will that do? Teach the parents a lesson?

These aren't bad people. Somebody had a lapse in judgement. Somebody made a terrible mistake and a tragedy occurred. Now you want to punish them further.....to prove, exactly what? Do you think that this incident won't haunt them the rest of their lives? Obviously, the death penalty would end their suffering. What penalty are you proposing?
    Yes, I do very much think the the parent should be held accountable. This is clearly criminal neglect. I believe owning a gun comes with a lot of responsibility. If you fail to live up to that responsibility you should be judged by your peers. People need to be held accountable for their actions. Should Casey Anthony walk? I don’t think she intentionally killed her daughter. She was just trying to put her to sleep. A "terrible mistake and a tragedy occurred". Hasn't she suffered enough?

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    Yes, I do very much think the the parent should be held accountable. This is clearly criminal neglect. I believe owning a gun comes with a lot of responsibility. If you fail to live up to that responsibility you should be judged by your peers. People need to be held accountable for their actions. Should Casey Anthony walk? I don’t think she intentionally killed her daughter. She was just trying to put her to sleep. A "terrible mistake and a tragedy occurred". Hasn't she suffered enough?
    I'm not familiar with parents accidentally putting their children to sleep with duct tape. You'll have to explain that one to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    Should Casey Anthony walk? I don’t think she intentionally killed her daughter. She was just trying to put her to sleep. A "terrible mistake and a tragedy occurred". Hasn't she suffered enough?
    Did casey anthony tell you that? Was that before or after she lied, buried the body, blamed it on everyone including her parents, and made the whole nation look for her thinking she was a missing child?
    JOHNSMITH likes this.

Yeah, big difference there Rigel. Do I think what the parents did is approaching criminal negligence? Yup. And I'm all for locking up the criminals.

I this case however, there are a few things to think of:

-Locking up a parent takes a law-abiding citizen off the streets for one mistake, albeit a big one.
    -Locking up a parent puts more burden on the prison system to punish an individual whose crime is basically already their punishment.
    -Locking up a parent takes a loving parent out of a household, which will affect the remaining parent and children severely.

Listen, I'm usually all for locking up the criminals, but what purpose is served in this case? If punishment is your answer then I submit that they're already being punished.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Also keep in mind that this particular case was in the court system. It was presented to the grand jury and they didn't return an indictment. This wasn't a case of the district attorney arbitrarily deciding not to press charges. He presented it to the grand jury and let them decide, so in essence you could say that the parents were indeed tried by a jury of their peers.

Alright the Anthony case was a bad analogy but
    The gun had been placed into a front console area on a prior occasion. The toddler found the weapon, began handling it and the accident occurred. The resulting gunshot caused a fatal facial injury, the release states.
    I can not forgive that. This was a real person who died by gross negligence. We'll have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    there are a lot of things going on in the minds of people with ( insert whatever here).

if you can not devote the care necessary to owning and maintaining a firearm....than for the sake of
    those whose lives depend on your watching out for them---don't have one.

a lot of bad, very bad, deadly kind of bad things happen if you are irresponsible for even just a fraction of a second.
    if your training is such that you can not stay in the game full time, do those around you a really, really big life saving
    favor---be a spectator.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links