Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally

Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally

This is a discussion on Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; This just should not happen, ever. What was this parent thinking? Why was the handgun not secured and away from the child? This is just ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally

Unhappy Really, Really Bad : Toddler Shot & Killed Accidentally

This just should not happen, ever. What was this parent thinking? Why was the handgun not secured and away from the child? This is just the kind of thing that anti gun people look for so they can get our rights taken away to own any gun.

Toddler dead from gunshot
    May 22, 2011 @ 01:00 AM

The Herald-Dispatch

ASHLAND,KY -- A toddler died Saturday night after accidentally discharging a gun that was in a vehicle with the 2-year-old child in the Cheddar's parking lot in Ashland, according to a press release from the Ashland Police Department.

Emergency responders were dispatched to the parking lot of the Ashland Town Center at 5:45 p.m. in response to several reports of a child that had been struck by a vehicle. When emergency personnel arrived to the scene, it became apparent that the 2-year-old child had been shot in the face.

The child was originally taken to King's Daughters Medical Center before being airlifted to the trauma center at Cabell Huntington Hospital.

A preliminary investigation by the Ashland Police Department indicated that a parent was putting another child into a car seat when the parent reported hearing the shot and turning around to see the 2-year-old lying in the passenger seat bleeding severely. The parent grabbed the child and ran for help. The press release said a parent had left the firearm in the vehicle, and it discharged when the child obtained it.

The Ashland Police Department will continue to investigate the incident.

Toddler dead from gunshot - The Herald Dispatch
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; May 22nd, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Moderator
    That should not have happened.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

How very very sad and totally preventable. Stories like this break my heart.

I realise there are a lot of things going on in peoples minds especially with small children,but if the gun was secured in a COM safe when not in direct control of it this would not have happened,this is another example besides theft that your guns need to be secured
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    There is nothing "accidental" about this - it is criminally culpable negligence. Nothing less.

It's tragic, to be sure, but the term "accident" carries with it a connotation of unavoidability - and this was COMPLETELY avoidable.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    There is nothing "accidental" about this - it is criminally culpable negligence. Nothing less.

It's tragic, to be sure, but the term "accident" carries with it a connotation of unavoidability - and this was COMPLETELY avoidable.
    EXACTLY! This is inexcusable negligence. This is the very reason that firearms should be "locked" out of reach of children. This is so sad that a child's life was lost because of carelessness.

Yet more ammo for the "ANTI" crowd. Makes it look like we're all a bunch of idiots that don't know how to handle a weapon. Shew
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Was this an irresponsible parent, gun owner or both? IMHO, there is not enough detail to know for sure.
    This I know, it is very sad. :-(
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Even if the mag was in the gun, I doubt a two year old would be able to cock and switch the safety off. Easily avoidable...
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Sad story. You are responsible for your weapon at all times, especially when around small children.
    chefjon and gunthorp like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    Even if the mag was in the gun, I doubt a two year old would be able to cock and switch the safety off. Easily avoidable...
    I believe the story indicated it was a Glock. No safety to switch off.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    Such a tragedy. Things like that should never happen.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Not good...no excuses...should never have happened.
    chefjon likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This death was completely preventable.

The gun should have been in the parent's holster. Very very hard for a kid to get to it there, and if someone tried to do a purse snatch or car theft, it could have been defended against.

And the article linked & quoted up there didn't mention the brand of pistol. But you're right, if it was a Glock & the kid could depress the trigger (not hard to do) the safety would have come off.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male." R. Kipling

Defense fund donations gratefully accepted here (PayPal link).

Stories like this really upset me, no reason for this to ever happen. Come on people, be responsible with your firearms. This makes me sick.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links