Here goes again!

This is a discussion on Here goes again! within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Irresponsible media reporting of a ND, AGAIN! This time, just up the road from where I live. http://www.wftv.com/news/28014137/detail.html Sent another flame, this time to the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chefjon

Thread: Here goes again!

Here goes again!

Irresponsible media reporting of a ND, AGAIN! This time, just up the road from where I live.

http://www.wftv.com/news/28014137/detail.html

Sent another flame, this time to the local station that reported it:

This is a comment on the reporting of a story you have on your website titled "Man's Gun Accidentally Discharges in Restaurant".

I have a few issues with the way you have reported this incident, and with the way that gun-related incidents are reported in general.

1. The title, referring to the discharge as "accidental" is not correct unless there are other factors you chose not to include. Modern firearms do not discharge of their own accord. Some type of manipulation or outside-force is required. Saying that a gun "just went off" is an incorrect interpretation of facts. For this reason, the majority of the firearms mfg and training industries now refer to this type of incident exclusively as a "Negligent Discharge", placing the responsibility squarely where it belongs-with the possessor of said firearm. To say anything else not only removes the responsibility from the person committing the act but gives those with ltd. knowledge the false impression that firearms are inherently unstable and unsafe.

2. While I appreciate your reporting that the man was carrying without a holster, no mention was made about what role that played (or didn't play) in the incident." A pocket-carried pistol should always be in a holster that covers the trigger guard to prevent foreign objects from activating the trigger." Stating that truth in your story would have been actual, beneficial news to many people. More and better reporting of incidents like these may actually decrease their frequency and may save lives as well.

3. No mention was made about the type or make of the pistol involved or if there was an actual defect in it. If there is an unstable pistol model out there, that should be more news than anything else!

4. No mention is ever made, in incidents like these, about the *mandatory* class that Floridians have to take before receiving their CWP. As many excellent instructors as there are out there, there are frequently those that require 1 test-fired shot to prove proficiency. That's the equivalent of requiring only that you show you can start a car to get a DL.

I'm not asking that you endorse any specific viewpoint on the use of firearms, just that you accurately report on their use or misuse. The better informed your viewers/readers are, the safer we will all be within our rights.
    Chad Rogers likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I would understand your reporting much better than what we are used to!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

GM
    I think the link does not work.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Manís Gun Accidentally Discharges In Restaurant - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Guy was an idiot. If you carry without a holster, bad things will happen.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Agree. Carrying a gun without holster is an act of stupidity. It is negligence of rules and safety measures.

Links