Another sad story (23 year old dead) - Page 3

Another sad story (23 year old dead)

This is a discussion on Another sad story (23 year old dead) within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who gets the creeps looking down a barrel even if it is broken down and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Another sad story (23 year old dead)

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who gets the creeps looking down a barrel even if it is broken down and verified safe. I know that only destruction comes from the end of a barrel. Even if the gun is broken down and my ammo in another room I still use extreme caution cleaning or trying to photo the rifling. Better safe then sorry. Just freaks me out and I am glad it does cause it keeps me alert and aware.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who gets the creeps looking down a barrel even if it is broken down and verified safe. I know that only destruction comes from the end of a barrel. Even if the gun is broken down and my ammo in another room I still use extreme caution cleaning or trying to photo the rifling. Better safe then sorry. Just freaks me out and I am glad it does cause it keeps me alert and aware.
    I hate cleaning our Remington 597 because you have to run the bore brush and patches from the muzzle end. Even though it's a hassle, I've started doing a complete take-down every time so that the firing mechanism and barrel are separate. All of our other weapons apart from the revolver can be cleaned from the breech (and in the case of the revolver, I just have to roll the cylinder out of the way to guarantee safety).

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    I don't think he would have heeded this warning.

gun-safety-warning.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Another example of the "see my pretty toy" mentality present in some gun owners. Guns are not pretty toys, they are lethal and unforgiving weapons of destruction. They have been designed to be relatively safe if handled properly, but they are potentially deadly at all times. I say this as an owner of many guns, but I have great respect for their lethality potential. I EDC, but with great care and awareness.

No gun is ever completely safe, it is just presently inert. It takes very little to put in back in the actve mode.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Well, he did give a lasting and graphic lesson on safety to a few people.

"Experience is the best teacher, and a fool will learn no other."

- Anonymous
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

You have to wonder how much firearm safety this guy had. When he was younger, his parents should have made sure he had some training even if he or they were not interested. Even if parents are anti gun, doesn't mean their kids will be. Does anybody really know what their kids are exposed to when at a friends? If nothing else, Hunter safety courses are a good start. To many kids are kept away from it because of parents beliefs and when they get old enough they go buy their first gun. No training what so ever. Some one should have got them going down the right path before it got that far.

VIP Member
    Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
    RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Condolences and prayers sent to the family..

No need for harsh words or ridicule.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Pretty costly mistake...do you suppose any alcohol could have been involved?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He might have been able to legally purchase a handgun, but he had no respect for it. This is a case where a little education on firearms at an early age may have saved his life.

If you EVER think of your gun as a toy, Or EVER forget that it does not care who it kills then you are on your way to a tragdey. It's only a matter of time.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

If you EVER think of your gun as a toy, Or EVER forget that it does not care who it kills then you are on your way to a tragedy. It's only a matter of time.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links