How dangerous is firing a gun into the air? - Page 3

How dangerous is firing a gun into the air?

This is a discussion on How dangerous is firing a gun into the air? within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by Thunder71 Leave it to Minnesota to add a twist and forbid it only in cemeteries. Glad we can in SC. Had to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How dangerous is firing a gun into the air?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Leave it to Minnesota to add a twist and forbid it only in cemeteries.
    Glad we can in SC.

Had to shoot 3 rounds from my G29 for a veteran last week. He didn't qualify for full honors so we offered to fire three volleys for the family. The 10mm double tap rounds got the nod since they would be louder than the bossmans .38.

They were shot into the ground by the way.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    You are correct.
    ...and people have been killed walking across the street.
    The point is that lots of things are risky, but should that preclude doing them?
    Do you stay locked in your house/apartment all the time so as not to get run over by an errant driver?
    Do you drive to your grand parents house on the other coast so you won't crash in an air plane?
    Do you eat only food grown and prepared by you so there is no chance of getting poisoned?
    Life would be awful boring without taking a chance once in a while.
    Do you seriously not see a difference in the examples you give and the potential issues for other people when you shoot into the air? You're comparing jetskis to ATVs. We're on land, not water.

Life is a risk. As you pointed out. I can't prevent other peoples' stupid, but I sure can choose NOT TO BE STUPID and make the world a bit safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    How dangerous is firing into the air?
    Instead of relying on a mythbuster program, use good sense and care.
    Like fear and superstition over science and technology?

I'm certainly not in favor of firing in the air, but Mythbusters conclusion that an angle caused it to be deadly was a concession to the police who don't want guns fired anywhere.

The Hispanic and Islamic communities do it all the time and I don't see fewer of either group.

Okay, this was a bit tongue in cheek, but has anyone provided scientific evidence of the danger of a falling bullet?

Leave it to Minnesota to add a twist and forbid it only in cemeteries.
    Well, duh, every time guns are fired into cemeteries, bodies are discovered. What more proof do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    You can't seriously be advocating firing into the air are you?
    Of course not, but I do not get all up-tight about some one who may do it once in a while either. Life has more than enough real hazards and problems than to lose sleep over such trivia.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

How dangerous is it to fire into the air.....

Personally I have no idea, as I'e never done it. If I fire my handgun or any gun, it's into a safe backstop period....

As to the argument that it's practically harmless, tell that to the mother of this little boy who was sitting in church when he was struck in the head by a bullet fired into the air and entered through the ceiling of the church... She as well as myself will tell ya that, at least on that day it proved to be deadly for the poor little guy.Stray Bullet Kills 4-year-old Boy | FOX 5 Atlanta | myfoxatlanta.com , but hey, YMMV
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    And now to test your hypotheses, do I have any volunteers? Anyone? The prosecution rests, your honor.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    And now to test your hypotheses, do I have any volunteers? Anyone? The prosecution rests, your honor.
    Raised hand.
    Let me know when your iron umbrella is ready. :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I remember an Israeli-Egyptian war a way back where the Egyptians celebrated the beginning of their march to Israel by a massive, extensive, and prolonged firing into the air -- and then they ran into trouble later with ammo shortages when the shooting began for real. Also seem to recall that they had no real maps and had to rely on "gas station" type maps of the area.

Some toothless florida hick fired a weapon in air 4 july a year or so back .

Round came down on a young girl took an eye out

Dont do it

Terminal velocity would be 2-300 mph , that would be a bullet fired vertical to stall,then falling to earth...more likely is substantial ballistic carryover...dangerous for 10-15000 feet around the shooters....MYth Busters did a thing in the middle of a salt lake ..bullet fire into the air..they were diggin down as much as 10".to recover.....so you want cover from the 'festivitys"....and you dont want to drink the water.... just sayn

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    As to the argument that it's practically harmless, tell that to the mother of this little boy who was sitting in church when he was struck in the head by a bullet fired into the air and entered through the ceiling of the church... She as well as myself will tell ya that, at least on that day it proved to be deadly for the poor little guy.
    Now wait a minute. The story claims that a bullet was fired in the air, reached it's maximum height, then fell to earth, (terminal velocity being about 120 mph) and had enough energy to go through the roof,then the ceiling and kill someone?
    "Police said they did not know where the bullet came from". More likely, the bullet was fired AT the church itself, and the poor kid was hit by a ricochet.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    Terminal velocity would be 2-300 mph , that would be a bullet fired vertical to stall,then falling to earth...more likely is substantial ballistic carryover...dangerous for 10-15000 feet around the shooters....MYth Busters did a thing in the middle of a salt lake ..bullet fire into the air..they were diggin down as much as 10".to recover.....so you want cover from the 'festivitys"....and you dont want to drink the water.... just sayn
    You must have seen a different show than I did.
    Terminal velocity is never 2-300 mph, for anything, including bullets. Sure you didn't hear, "2-300 feet per second"? The concept that a bullet fired straight up would then fall in an area as far as 15,000 ft (3 miles) away is a big stretch, unless they fired it during a hurricane. And the one's I saw them dig out of a dry lake bed had penetrated into the dirt, about 3". After calculating the terminal velocity, they fired bullets at that velocity using compressed air into a pig carcass and it barely broke the skin. During the fall, the bullets would lay sideways, they're not spinning like when they are fired.
    I'll bet they got a lot of mail on that show!

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    That's your proof?

I haven't found anyone willing to be shot with a .22, so by that logic, a .22 is an effective defensive round.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Some toothless florida hick fired a weapon in air 4 july a year or so back .
    That's right. So I you have no teeth, and live in Florida, don't shoot in the air.

Disclaimer: I have never fired a gun in the air, and I don't plan to.
    But:
    Gravity, it's the law.
    Last edited by Guns and more; August 25th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.

I just can't believe how many people here don't see the harm in it. It's a clear violation of knowing your target and beyond. All you have is a large area of beyond with who knows what that will get hit. That's right, not may be hit, something will be hit.

I'm unaware of any rounds that can escape Earth's gravitational field, so, what goes up must come down.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    I just can't believe how many people here don't see the harm in it. It's a clear violation of knowing your target and beyond. All you have is a large area of beyond with who knows what that will get hit. That's right, not may be hit, something will be hit.
    I haven't seen anyone recommending that you shoot in the air.
    Others, including me, have tried to dispel the myth and provide evidence.
    As far as I know, the laws of physics have not been overturned.

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    Statistically?:
    Lets say that it is a .38.
    An area of ~ .1134"
    If it could come down into a 2500 foot diameter area (just under 1/2 mile).
    It would be like playing Russian roulette with a 264,657 cylinder revolver.
    Your odds are pretty good surviving 6 rounds. YMMV :)
    Wow, thank God you don't live anywhere near my state.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

To all the people that say they would never shoot into the air, you don't shoot clays? Or what about hunting Fowl? Sorry, just had to mess with y'all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links