My first squib

My first squib

This is a discussion on My first squib within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Last week I experienced my first squib at the range. I was shooting my old Ruger P90 with Cabela's Herters 45 ACP (probably rebranded Tula ...

Thread: My first squib

My first squib

Last week I experienced my first squib at the range.

I was shooting my old Ruger P90 with Cabela's Herters 45 ACP (probably rebranded Tula or Wolf ammo). I have shot a lot of this stuff through my P90 because I can't afford to shoot more expensive brass ammo through my 45. I also have figured that the P90 is such a tank that it can handle the steel cased ammo.

I had fired off 41 rounds and then I heard that weird shot sound. Something automatically sounded wrong, I can't really explain the sound but for those who have experienced a squib, you know what I am talking about.

I dropped the magazine and locked the pistol open. Because of the lighting and the angle in the indoor range, I couldn't fully tell if the barrel was obstructed or not. I tried with my finger but couldn't determine whether their was an obstruction or not. I thought about just continuing on firing, but I just had a bad feeling about this one.

I quickly field stripped the gun, pulled out the barrel and there it was, a 45 bullet firmly wedged in the chamber. My next shot probably would have gotten me a place on that Ka Boom photo gallery. Thank goodness I was smart about it and didn't carelessly carry on shooting.

I did right by being safe and not harming myself or my pistol, but it is still a great reminder to always follow basic gun handling rules and to stay safe.

The guys at the range were able to force the bullet out which I will now keep as a reminder for gun safety (and using better ammo).
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I had a squib one time where the nose of the bullet was sticking out the end of the barrel,I usually carry an old brass cleaning rod to drive out a bullet just in case,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good job on following your instinct. And thanks for posting, it's a great reminder of something that doesn't happen very often, but when it does it can lead to the next shot being disasterous.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Last week I experienced my first squib at the range.

I was shooting my old Ruger P90 with Cabela's Herters 45 ACP (probably rebranded Tula or Wolf ammo). I have shot a lot of this stuff through my P90 because I can't afford to shoot more expensive brass ammo through my 45. I also have figured that the P90 is such a tank that it can handle the steel cased ammo.

I had fired off 41 rounds and then I heard that weird shot sound. Something automatically sounded wrong, I can't really explain the sound but for those who have experienced a squib, you know what I am talking about.

I dropped the magazine and locked the pistol open. Because of the lighting and the angle in the indoor range, I couldn't fully tell if the barrel was obstructed or not. I tried with my finger but couldn't determine whether their was an obstruction or not. I thought about just continuing on firing, but I just had a bad feeling about this one.

I quickly field stripped the gun, pulled out the barrel and there it was, a 45 bullet firmly wedged in the chamber. My next shot probably would have gotten me a place on that Ka Boom photo gallery. Thank goodness I was smart about it and didn't carelessly carry on shooting.

I did right by being safe and not harming myself or my pistol, but it is still a great reminder to always follow basic gun handling rules and to stay safe.

The guys at the range were able to force the bullet out which I will now keep as a reminder for gun safety (and using better ammo).

a good reminder why a flashlight should be part of everyones EDC

Yeah, I'm going to include a flashlight and something like a cleaning rod in my range bag from now on.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Sponsored Links