Keeping it simple: The 2 Rules of Safety

This is a discussion on Keeping it simple: The 2 Rules of Safety within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; This infographic might come in handy: In my NRA safety course, I learned 3 rules. Later, I noticed that this was upped to 4. But ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ctr
  • 2 Post By walleye
  • 1 Post By WD54241
  • 1 Post By bigmacque

Thread: Keeping it simple: The 2 Rules of Safety

Keeping it simple: The 2 Rules of Safety

This infographic might come in handy:

In my NRA safety course, I learned 3 rules. Later, I noticed that this was upped to 4. But like the graphic shows, these 2 may be the most important - at least if you follow them the odds of something bad happening are pretty low.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

I still prefer the 4 Cardinal Rules however, I would agree that those are probably the most important two of the four rules.

(1) All guns are loaded until proven otherwise.
    (2) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot your target.
    (3) Never point (aim) your gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    (4) Always Identify your target and know what's behind it.

Now, they are often times worded in slightly different ways and also elaborated upon a vast number of ways, but the strict adherence to these four rules will keep everyone safe and avoid tragedy.

Sure the two listed in the top are likely the most critical things to know, but knowing and abiding by the 4 Cardinal Rules are not too difficult to learn, know and follow.

I've seen as many as nine, ten and even twelve rules of gun safety. And while they are all good safety issues/points, narrowing it down to the four essential rules, keeps it simple, and keeps it easy to remember.

I have never forgotten the four... I'd be hard pressed to name all of the twelve different ones I've seen at different times.

Good post shockwave, and good poster/diagram. I've seen that posted in various gun shops and in a couple gun ranges over the years. Thanks for the post.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

They can start with those two! However, once they decide they need to shoot, they will need the others.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Never a good idea to dumb down a life safety issue.

All of the 4 majors should always be used in unison.

The fine print actually has the first rule. "Treat every gun as loaded " (paraphrased cause I'm lazy)
    and the intent can be gleaned from the text to cover the destruction rule
    I see nothing wrong with the graphic and it covers some things in the fine print not covered by the basic four.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Never a good idea to dumb down a life safety issue.

All of the 4 majors should always be used in unison.
    this!

VIP Member
    I always teach them exactly as the NRA wrote them for the course.

VIP Member
    Go with the 4 rules. Otherwise we could all rationalize it down to stupid hurts. However, innocent people are usually the ones to get hurt by some one else's actions and not knowing the rules. Always follow the 4 rules of firearms safety.
    BaconHunter likes this.

I like the first, "A Gun is Always Loaded" to "concentrate the mind" as the old joke says ("Nothing concentrates the mind like your own hanging.").

It puts me in a Serious frame of mind to start with and then I treat the other 3 more than just habitual-sayings. They seem Vital when you really think about that first one. That's not a tennis ball you have in your hand and you want to REALLY take that in.

I know someone who had a real bad car accident that the fates let him walk away from (no one else got hurt). It was his mindless driving that was the fault.
    He keeps a photo of the wrecked car under the dash and looks at it before he starts driving any place - even now, years later. Says it still scares the heck out of him to see how close he came - and it makes him Pay Attention before he drives anywhere.
    bigmacque and shockwave like this.

Thanks for the refresher. It's always good to keep posting that every couple months...
    shockwave likes this.

In my 4-H Shooting Sports program, I teach MATTE:

1. Muzzle in a safe direction
    2) Action open until ready to fire
    3) Trigger - finger off until ready to fire
    4) Target - know what it is and what is beyond
    5) Ear and eye protection - always use it
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    This infographic might come in handy:

In my NRA safety course, I learned 3 rules. Later, I noticed that this was upped to 4. But like the graphic shows, these 2 may be the most important - at least if you follow them the odds of something bad happening are pretty low.
    When I taught my daughter about firearms safety, these were the ones I stressed over and over and over.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    I like the first, "A Gun is Always Loaded" to "concentrate the mind" as the old joke says ("Nothing concentrates the mind like your own hanging.").

It puts me in a Serious frame of mind to start with and then I treat the other 3 more than just habitual-sayings. They seem Vital when you really think about that first one. That's not a tennis ball you have in your hand and you want to REALLY take that in.

I know someone who had a real bad car accident that the fates let him walk away from (no one else got hurt). It was his mindless driving that was the fault.
    He keeps a photo of the wrecked car under the dash and looks at it before he starts driving any place - even now, years later. Says it still scares the heck out of him to see how close he came - and it makes him Pay Attention before he drives anywhere.
    +1

Always treat every gun as if it's loaded, even if you've just cleared the weapon yourself, is my own mantra. Just helps develop good habits.
    walleye likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Links