At a local gun store last Saturday ....

This is a discussion on At a local gun store last Saturday .... within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by ksholder I hear what you are thinking and I agree it would be nice if everybody was trained in the proper and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: At a local gun store last Saturday ....

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I hear what you are thinking and I agree it would be nice if everybody was trained in the proper and safe use of firearms. School would be one place to start as they feel compelled to teach the kiddos how to use their genitals, why not guns. That having been said, making training a predicate to ownership of a weapon is, by definition, an infringement on the right.
    Even the courts have declared that the constitutional rights are not without restriction and limitation.

Training is required for CC. One can still OC in public without. I suspect that in years past, it used to be common for parents to teach their children how to safely handle firearms, largely because they were a way of life. That has changed and now most do not get said education. Surprisingly, when I was in 5th grade, we had a week of day camp where we spent the days at a private campground and park that was organized by the teachers and the phys-ed instructor. One of the activities involved learning to shoot with a .22 rifle.

The laws already restrict who can own a gun, i.e. criminals can't legally. When one renews their drivers license, you need to pass a very simple test showing that you understand the basic safety laws and what the road signs mean. Would something simple like that, demonstrating that you understand basic safety rules and gun laws be out of line?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Even the courts have declared that the constitutional rights are not without restriction and limitation.

Training is required for CC. One can still OC in public without. I suspect that in years past, it used to be common for parents to teach their children how to safely handle firearms, largely because they were a way of life. That has changed and now most do not get said education. Surprisingly, when I was in 5th grade, we had a week of day camp where we spent the days at a private campground and park that was organized by the teachers and the phys-ed instructor. One of the activities involved learning to shoot with a .22 rifle.

The laws already restrict who can own a gun, i.e. criminals can't legally. When one renews their drivers license, you need to pass a very simple test showing that you understand the basic safety laws and what the road signs mean. Would something simple like that, demonstrating that you understand basic safety rules and gun laws be out of line?
    Taken point by point:

0. The courts are not always right in their decisions. One need only look at their rulings which have been overturned by later courts. In the case of the 2nd amendment, for them to essentially re-define "shall not be infringed", is nothing short of Hubris and is arguably malfeasance or even treason.

1. Not every state requires training for CC; that would be an infringement.

2. Some criminals have had their rights removed. Consider those who have been judged to be insane or mentally incompetent. Their rights are not infringed because they don't have those rights. Keep in mind that not all rights are inalienable. Some, too many, can be taken away through the courts and some can be given away by you, such as during military service.

3. Unlike the Right to bear arms, driving is not a right-it is a privilege and can be revoked. You agreed to this when you signed your license and application. To equate the two is an error in logic indicates either ignorance or propaganda. There may be more reasons but these are the two biggest.

4. Would it be out of line? That depends on how much of the Right you are willing to give away. That way is the fabled slippery slope. since you can't regulate stupidity, I see very little return in that particular bargain. I will say this: it IS out of line for the government to ask for or for any citizen to want to yield the Right.

In summation, I agree that it is of the utmost desirability to receive training in safe arms handling and I make sure I and mine get it, however, I don't want to give up any little bit of my Rights to any government, no matter how well-intended.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links