Hunter kills himself after accidental shooting of friend.

This is a discussion on Hunter kills himself after accidental shooting of friend. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; (Reuters) - A Vermont hunter fatally shot a companion by accident while deer hunting and shot himself because he was so distraught, police said on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Hunter kills himself after accidental shooting of friend.

VIP Member

Hunter kills himself after accidental shooting of friend.

(Reuters) - A Vermont hunter fatally shot a companion by accident while deer hunting and shot himself because he was so distraught, police said on Monday.

Timothy Bolognani, 49, killed himself on Saturday after accidentally shooting Benjamin Birch, 39, said Vermont State Police investigators.

Bolognani, Birch and a third man were hunting in woods in Readsboro, Vermont, they said.

The chain of events began when Birch shot at a deer, which ran into the woods and the men tracked it, police said.

Bolognani fired his rifle and heard Birch cry out, the police said in a statement.

Bolognani and the third hunter, Mark Colson, discovered Birch shot and lying on the ground, according to police.

Birch died at the scene, and Bolognani used his rifle to fatally shoot himself, police said.

Bolognani was the son of former Vermont state Representative Betty Bolognani, and his death was the second tragedy to befall the family in recent years.

His 18-year-old daughter, Jessica, was killed in a snowmobile accident in the Readsboro area in January 2010.

The dead hunters were taken to the chief medical examiner in Burlington, Vermont for autopsies.

Police said there was no evidence of foul play.

"From my office's perspective, it is deemed to be a homicide, only because he was shot by another (man). But it doesn't associate any level of intent," said Bennington County State's Attorney Erica Marthage.

"But that doesn't say it's not a tragic accident. They are not mutually exclusive," Marthage said.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/hunter-kill...161449380.html
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

This happened rather close to me though I don't know any of the people involved. The detail about his daughter dying shy of two years ago is new info that wasn't on the news broadcast yesterday that I'm aware of. Very impulsive move for somebody very distraught over the effects of his actions.

Very sad.

GM
    Very tragic incidents!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Tragic accidents like that do not have to happen if one can clearly identify the hunting target prior to shooting.OMO
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 28th, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Ishmael and Chad Rogers like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Incredibly Tragic.
    He shot and killed his friend and then made a spur of the moment decision that he could not live with himself after having done that.
    Sadly though killing himself could not undo the death of his friend.
    Maybe it would have been better if he just dedicated the remainder of his life to some worthwhile or charitable cause.
    It's never a good thing to just waste a human life.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Likely losing his daughter didn't help either, i can only imagine how messed up I would be if I lost one of mine.
    Thunder71 and NYCrulesU like this.

'Liking' the above felt weird after I did it, let me clarify that 'I agree' is more appropriate in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Likely losing his daughter didn't help either, i can only imagine how messed up I would be if I lost one of mine.
    I thought the same. Lost his daughter..suffering with that. The accidental shooting of his friend just put him over the edge. Seems reasonable to conclude.

Sad story, prayers for both victims and their families! You have to know what your shooting at before you pull the trigger.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Very sad and for some of us hard to understand. 32 years ago my wifes brother had shot and killed his best friend then in a state of remorse took his own life. Both of them were only 18 years old. What a waste !!
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

It was a double-tragedy that plainly shows the domino-effect that a poor split-second decision can quickly initiate.

Shame it all happened. What a waste.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have family and my own hunting cabin in Vermont, people forget never fire unless you can SEE where it will go to ground. I have a scar on my shin from a near miss outside of Swanton VT. great reminder

It is the one mistake you can never take back.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    I have family and my own hunting cabin in Vermont, people forget never fire unless you can SEE where it will go to ground. I have a scar on my shin from a near miss outside of Swanton VT. great reminder

It is the one mistake you can never take back.
    I like that phrasing, swmft. It's much more explicit than "be aware of your target and what's behind it".

Very sad..............
    Know your target and beyond.....a bullet has no brains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links