Safety reminder

Safety reminder

This is a discussion on Safety reminder within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I always wear ear and eye protection, with the exception of one recent occasion, which ironically was the time that I needed it most. My ...

Thread: Safety reminder

VIP Member

Safety reminder

I always wear ear and eye protection, with the exception of one recent occasion, which ironically was the time that I needed it most.

My son and I were out in the country, letting him sight in his new .22 rifle, and I brought along my .22 (Remington Speedmaster) as well. He challenged me to match one of his groups, and (not thinking) I grabbed my rifle out of the back of the SUV and proceeded to go to work (sans eyes and ears).

I got a kabloooey. Yup . At about the 4th round, it sounded like someone fired a .357 next to my head and my face and hands got sprayed with hot grit. For some dumb reason, I never would have expected that sort of explosion out of a .22. My son had his eyes and ears on, but was still amazed at what an ear-piercing 'crack' it was. I was shooting a box of old Remington LR hp's that I bought back in the early '80s, and apparently one of them was over-charged. It blew pieces of shell casing back around the bolt carrier and locked it half-way back.

The good news is that other than my ears ringing for the next day or two, that was the only damage. I was later able to detail-strip the rifle and verify there was no serious damage to it. It also really gave my son 'religion' about proper eye and ear protection.

'Just wanted to share a solid reminder that even with mild-mannered .22 rifles, don't be dumb like me.

Be safe.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Good reminder, always nice to live through those lessons that have great and lasting impact.

Glad you are OK.

Yeah, I'm astounded at the number of people I see at ranges firing much higher pressure rounds than .22s with naked faces. I guess people just aren't really thinking about how a gun works and the forces involved to send that bullet out at that velocity.

Ok, did you beat his group? Hope your ears stop ringing. Mine ring all the time!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Ok, did you beat his group? Hope your ears stop ringing. Mine ring all the time!
    Thanks. Yeah, I beat his group - but only because my rifle had a scope and he was shooting with iron sights.

Although he's improved since then. The last time we shot, he set up a twig about 1/8" wide and hit it on the first shot from 80'. I congratulated him and asked if he could do it again - he did!

I can't even see the twig at 80'.

Glad it all turned out well, as far as hitting a twig at 80' , dont think i could see it at 8 ft......Thanks you Lord for Crimson Trace !!!!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Wow, glad no serious damage was done and you weren't injured... Thanks for the reminder..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Links