Dangerous Gun Handling at the Gun Store

This is a discussion on Dangerous Gun Handling at the Gun Store within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; You definitely did the right thing. I hope management fully backed you up on this. Where I used to work, I had to cover my ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Dangerous Gun Handling at the Gun Store

You definitely did the right thing. I hope management fully backed you up on this. Where I used to work, I had to cover my butt in situations like this and mgt wouldn't kick the jerks out. I recently had to deal with a guy like you did and luckily another customer thanked me for the way I handled it in front of the manager. It's a shame when mgt is more concerned with one person running their mouths, than the safety of everyone else. Anyway, you did great.

2. Remove Ads

It seems obvious to me that unholstering a weapon can *quite reasonably* be understood as threatening, which is why I would never do it around strangers (other than "for real," obviously), including the employees of a gun shop, even if it were just me and the owner. What if someone walks in just then? Honestly, this almost seems like it should be a fifth rule or something. Want to make sure you are never misunderstood as "pulling a gun" on someone? There's one way to be certain: DON'T DO IT.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I think you did well,KUDO`S!!!. You never know untill it happens in your face!.

In every gun store I have ever entered, the employees are open-carrying. Even if you hadn't heard of or seen "the rules", only an idiot would pull out his firearm in a gun store without asking first. This guy is obviously a danger to himself and the public. If you were carrying, you excercised great restraint in not drawing down on him for this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I think your actions in this case were measured. The guy is fool and a hazard. You'll be well rid of him as a customer if he never comes back.

I really dislike being called "dude" by idiots, especially those young enough to be my grandchildren.
    Or even worse, "buddy".
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I can't really say what I would have done to the Gecko45 wannabe if I want to keep my DC status intact.

You did the best under the circumstances, but this nut case needs a lesson or two. He is a very dangerous character waving around not a toy, but a real life killing machine and someday it might just "not" be unloaded no matter how many times before he has "done it." All it takes is just one lapse in judgment and *boom* game over. It probably would have been a good idea to report him to Law Enforcement, unless they already know about Bozo.

I guess his Glock is a poor extention of the male organ he obviously does not have and "whipping it out" compensates for the lack thereof.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    One time I was at Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk and asked for some help finding a belt holster for my S&W Model 457. After not being able to find one for my summer/spring CC pistol, he found an equivalent holster and asked me to unholster the pistol and hand it to him to see it if could fit that holster. And it did. He was impressed in how I unholstered it safely that he didn't even ask me to unchamber a round. And he handed it back safely to me in return after he tested if the pistol fit in the holster. Besides, he knows me since I am a regular customer in the shop. When I unholster, with the finger always off the trigger I did it slowly with my strong hand while the pistol is pointed to the floor. With my weak hand, I grasp the slide as I present my pistol grip for the other guy to grasp. This is how I think how you should safely hand the pistol to someone when in a non shooting range environment.
    And, by the way, I will be attending a gun safety/CC course as a refresher this Saturday at Superior Pawn and Gun in Pembroke. And I will be looking out for and correcting any unsafe handlers on the spot, as I have done a couple of times when shopping there for ammo/accessories.

I was in a store looking at lights/lasers for my G19 and brought it in in "customer mode" where it was unloaded, sans magazine, and had the slide locked back. It was a small shop, so they don't zip tie anything. It just seemed like the smartest way to go about shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    And now for your thoughts, let me have it.

Let me preface this by saying I don't unholster a loaded firearm without the employees permission. But I have done so in 3 different shops in the area. I even had one owner let me test the trigger work on his Glock by dry firing it, after we both cleared it. In the words of the old man at the pawn shop, "It's a gun store son. Unholster it, clear it, and let's find you a holster."

So I don't find the act of unholstering a carry gun problematic. I find not asking permission and being reckless a problem though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Some people CCW and I don't know why it happens, but it just goes straight to their heads. I think you did great man. You realized an awkward, bad altercation that could have gotten a lot worse and you diffused it. Morons like that exist everywhere and it's imperative that you keep your cool if you're CCW no matter what...if not...clock that idiot right in the mouth...just kidding...but seriously.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

I agree you did the right thing. If i was "flagged" by some jerk, and he just straight out unholsters a loaded weapon, my defenses would have been on high alert. He should have done one of two things. 1.) Asked before he unholstered and cleared (best option) 2.) Should have explained what he was going to do before he did it, to give you an idea and a chance to approve or deny his actions. You did good, to protect yourself coworkers and shoppers. Its his "bragging" and clearly repeated offender of brandishing a weapon. "Wifes christmas party". And then another thing, his wife should have a long talk about this, her saftey could be in jeopardy with this idiot.

On a separate note. Something I just thought of about management. Why is it that they flip when the employee does the right thing like you and the customer leaves. Oh we are losing business. Yet as CCP holders we are constantly boycotting posted businesses and they couldnt care less about it? Just food for thought/my $.02.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Uh, Jason ... what happened to always clear it before passing it along, recipient clears it as well.
    jerp likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Welcome to working at a gun store.

Just because your company policy is to allow concealed carriers into the store that doesn't mean that allows them to take their loaded firearm out of the holster in the store.

I've had a number of customers who were like this. They liked to try to pull out their gun for a number of reasons whether it was to show it to other customers or "try a holster" or see if it was a similar size to xyz they were going to buy. It ALWAYS ticked me off and we had words every time similar to what you had to deal with.

One thing I would recommend doing is when someone tries to unholster in the store, IMMEDIATELY stop them and tell them that while carry is allowed in the store you do not allow carry firearms to be unholstered. Ask them what kind of firearm they have and provide one from the case for them to compare or look at or try in the holster, etc.

If they still want to try it with THEIR firearm ask them to go out to their car, unload and return with the unloaded firearm and check it immediately upon entrance.

A few times of being that strict and they should get the hint.

I've been at a gunshop when a noticeably drunk patron was tossed out. He was fumbling with a spare mag that hit the ground.. that was enough for the manager to ask him to leave. If he didn't... I was going to leave as that was not something i really wanted to be around. I always take a weapon into the shop unloaded, then talk to someone before even taking it from a case. The times I have unloaded a weapon "in store", it has been with their permission and then on their indoor range.

The guy you tossed sounds like a walking accidental discharge.

Welp,I think it's time for a

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links