Dangerous Gun Handling at the Gun Store

This is a discussion on Dangerous Gun Handling at the Gun Store within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by tcox4freedom No offense to anyone here. But, if you came in my shop, home or my range with a loaded firearm, or ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Dangerous Gun Handling at the Gun Store

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    No offense to anyone here. But, if you came in my shop, home or my range with a loaded firearm, or I was an LEO, I would want to do any manipulations that needed to be done to clear the weapon. (At least until I knew enough about you to trust you.)
    LOL.. and I wouldn't give up my gun to you because, no offense to you, but I don't know you..lol. I've seen far too many gun store employees and even police officers who were dangerous... which is why, First, I would try to never be in a position where a loaded firearm would have to come out of its holster unless it was being fired.
    Second, If it was absolutely required that the firearm be unloaded I would do it myself in a safe location.
    Now, I have given over my HOLSTERED firearm (holster and all) to be put in things like safes, etc, but I feel better doing that since it's still in the holster and protected but no manipulations were necessary and I've only done that with people I trust. I still wouldn't hand over even a holstered gun to someone I didn't know....

Granted, if it were an LEO and I was being placed under arrest or told in legal authority to turn my firearm over than I really wouldn't have any choice. I doubt I'd be given permission to unload the firearm before handing it over if I were under arrest. But that's what comes with that territory... But after watching an LEO unholster my husband's firearm and point it at me (while I was very pregnant with our first child) while he tried to unload it (VERY SCARY!) it has made me appreciate not trusting ANYONE else with my loaded gun.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post

Working at a gun shop doesn't mean anything about a person's gun handling skills or their knowledge of your gun or any of the guns in shop, for that matter. Same goes for military and LEO.
    This.

I believe that we sometimes differ to perception rather than thoughtfulness. My best friend has been around guns for decades, but it doesn't mean he couldn't be susceptible to a simple mistake. I treat everyone as suspect to error meaning they could do something unexpected.

This includes me. Treat me with respect, but don't ever assume I'm infallible...for both our sakes.
    Ishmael likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    ...only an idiot would pull out his firearm in a gun store without asking first.
    Glad someone else said it. Personally I wouldn't go INTO a gun store with the weapon I expected them to look at loaded and holstered.

Last time I was in a gun shop (a big one) I was handling a handgun (that I had checked, of course), and was aiming it across the counter with the sales guy standing to my right. About 25 ft away another sales guy is walking behind the counter in my direction. As soon as I saw him I lowered the weapon so it wouldn't sweep him (finger is never on the trigger during any of this) and he looked at me in genuine surprise and said, "Wow. Thank you." It was pretty clear to me, it was unusual for him to have a customer do this.

Folks in general, I think, don't put themselves in the other guy's shoes, don't generally treat the weapon as they would a loaded one, etc. Hell, when I was frequenting the gun shops I'd remove the mag, clear the weapon and leave the mag on the counter, and even ask if they were okay with me dry firing it. It's not MY gun.

I do know this...IF I'd pissed off someone in the store because of how I'd handled a firearm, I sure wouldn't stand there and argue with them over who was right or wrong.

It's hard to remain cool. In my local private club (indoor range only) there's "No Gun Handling Behind the Firing Line". Behind the firing line are several fold-out conference room tables for targets, tape, range bags, etc. So, my daughter taps me and says "check out this guy" and I turn to see him willy-nilly dikking with his guns on one of the tables. I remained very calm and just walked over to him and said "Excuse me sir, there's no gun handling behind the line." He just mumbled something and got all indignant. That's the part that gets me hot...could have said "Oh, my mistake I apologize." but nooooooo...gotta get all defensive and start rattling off excuses. So I flagged down someone from the Club and now he's gone forever, no refund on that membership BTW.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; January 21st, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
    Romanr4 and tcox4freedom like this.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

I think you handled it way better than me... I probably would have said nothing, walked up to him and knocked his teeth down his throat...

in other news, I went to LGS today for first time since receiving my CC permit and carrying for the first time and saw the sign on the door "that all weapons must be cased and unloaded prior to entering the store, with exception to those legally concealed carrying a weapon. We do ask that you KEEP it concealed unless in life threatening situation. Thank you in advance for compliance." I saw this and thought it was a PERFECT sign for your situation. it was at a Gander Mt. store.
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

Hero Gear, Winchester, TN has a large lettered sign on the entrance door welcoming permit carriers and srequesting that weapons remain in your holster. You are made to feel wanted in their store but forewarned of their policy.
    TN_Mike likes this.

He could have been a narcotics cop (sic)
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

That guy just sounds scary. I have done this at a shop once or twice. Although it wasn't to the shock of the employees. They wanted to see my PPS and they understood I was carrying it. Unholstered cleared it and let them fiddle around with it a bit. It was dead in there as well.

No need at all to just whip it out like that. Will only scare people.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    If this is directed at me, one of us is missing something?
    Don't worry, it's directed at me, not you.

Congratulations on NOT getting shot by another gun-toting idiot. Not to hijack this thread, but the title pertains to unsafe gun handling at a gun shop. The other day I walked into our local shop to look down the barrel of some imbecile at the counter examining a rifle pointing right at the front door. After getting over that shock, I was fanned again by the same jerk while I stood at the counter. I am always amazed by the lack of gun handling skills at gun shops. I don't carry if the salesperson checked the action and the buyer checked the action, the gun is still "loaded" and you don't point the barrel at other customers!
    A friend went into another gun shop recently and was handed a .308 by the counter guy. He cycled the bolt and out popped a live cartridge. That one could have been ugly if he he had tried the trigger after the gun was "checked".
    As Scar put it so well in The Lion King, I'm surrounded by idiots. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.

[QUOTE=xsigma40cal;2138198]howdy 'all,

"That was offensive, THAT was offensive, I know your corporate policy towards concealed carriers and this is not it."

QUOTE]

As soon as he cleared leather he ceased to be a concealed carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Wow-you did very well considering the circumstances. See a lot of these idiots around here in TN. Just because you can get a HC permit (TN has a handgun carry permit, not a concealed) by shooting a .22, doesn't mean they have the capacity to carry a larger gun.
    The rules of gun safety apply just the same whether you're dealing with a .22 short or a .50 BMG. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post

I really dislike being called "dude" by idiots, especially those young enough to be my grandchildren.
    While I'm not quite old enough to have grandchildren, I would never now, and wouldn't have in the past ever referred to one of my elders as "dude." Maybe it's because I am getting older, but that really bothers me too.

To the OP, kudos. This could have gone bad in many ways. And really, if this guy is as unbalanced as you suspect, I would not be going to work unarmed if I was you. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a description/photo behind the counter for fellow employees as well.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    He could have been a narcotics cop (sic)
    It still does not give him any exeptions when it comes to gun safety and the safety of the store. I take gun safety very serious and I find it offensive when someone muzzles the gun in an unsafe direction. One idiot waiting for a CC class tried to dry fire his snubbie revolver at a wall that leads to the showroom nearby, where there are a lot of customers/gun dealers in the line of fire. I ended up snatching his gun as he tried to turn around at my direction as his muzzle was pointing at me as I was trying to get his attention. He and I got into an argument and after not willing to listen, I notified the shop operator. He ended up getting kicked out of class w/ his money back. And lucky he got his money back.

I've worked in 3 different gun stores/ranges in my life and I have seen the same things. Sadly, often times the employees at gun stores can be just as bad. Example: Here in Indiana, not too far from our house, there is a gun shop that is well known. I was in there a few months ago looking for a cheap Fobus holster for my Kahr CW9. According to Kahr, and holster made for the K9 will fit the CW9 but, as I am not a trusting person I wanted to be sure. I had the CW9 on, loaded IWB but knew they had one for sale there in the case. So I got the holster off the wall, walked over to the case and explained to the guy behind the counter what was going on. I wanted to see if the holster actually fir a CW9. He asked me if I had the gun with me and I said yes but it was holstered and loaded.

He said "That's ok, just pull it out and we'll see if it fits."

I answered "Uh, no dude, I'm not pulling out a loaded gun in a crowded gun shop. How about we just see if the unloaded one in the case infront of you will fit?"

He seemed a bit ashamed at the realization of what he had just suggested and got the CW9 out of the case. (it didn't fit very well and I didn't buy it)

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    LOL.. and I wouldn't give up my gun to you because, no offense to you, but I don't know you..lol. I've seen far too many gun store employees and even police officers who were dangerous... which is why, First, I would try to never be in a position where a loaded firearm would have to come out of its holster unless it was being fired.
    Second, If it was absolutely required that the firearm be unloaded I would do it myself in a safe location.
    Now, I have given over my HOLSTERED firearm (holster and all) to be put in things like safes, etc, but I feel better doing that since it's still in the holster and protected but no manipulations were necessary and I've only done that with people I trust. I still wouldn't hand over even a holstered gun to someone I didn't know....

Granted, if it were an LEO and I was being placed under arrest or told in legal authority to turn my firearm over than I really wouldn't have any choice. I doubt I'd be given permission to unload the firearm before handing it over if I were under arrest. But that's what comes with that territory... But after watching an LEO unholster my husband's firearm and point it at me (while I was very pregnant with our first child) while he tried to unload it (VERY SCARY!) it has made me appreciate not trusting ANYONE else with my loaded gun.
    Well said Lima and I would agree with everything you said here. I have always found it interesting that there are alot of cops who aren't gun people at all. I have likened it to being a pilot but not really liking airplanes that much.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Congratulations on NOT getting shot by another gun-toting idiot. Not to hijack this thread, but the title pertains to unsafe gun handling at a gun shop. The other day I walked into our local shop to look down the barrel of some imbecile at the counter examining a rifle pointing right at the front door. After getting over that shock, I was fanned again by the same jerk while I stood at the counter. I am always amazed by the lack of gun handling skills at gun shops. I don't carry if the salesperson checked the action and the buyer checked the action, the gun is still "loaded" and you don't point the barrel at other customers!
    A friend went into another gun shop recently and was handed a .308 by the counter guy. He cycled the bolt and out popped a live cartridge. That one could have been ugly if he he had tried the trigger after the gun was "checked".
    As Scar put it so well in The Lion King, I'm surrounded by idiots. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Well over twenty years ago I had a supply SGT hand a weapon to me from the rack ,I pulled the charging handle back and a round few out and bounce in front of the PLT SGT.
    it was not a good day for some soldiers in that company not good at all. All he said to me was that is why we clear them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links