Cops and Guns

Cops and Guns

This is a discussion on Cops and Guns within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; First off I'm not bashing LEOs in anyway I respect what they do and have many friends that are LEOs, but I saw a off ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Cops and Guns

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Cops and Guns

First off I'm not bashing LEOs in anyway I respect what they do and have many friends that are LEOs, but I saw a off duty cop do something so dump I have to post it. I was at the local Gander Mountain gun counter today just to pass some time. I was looking at holsters when I noticed this guy and his wife and he was open carrying. First mistake I noticed "I feel it is a mistake at least" was he was opening carrying a weapon in a holster with no active retention device such as a strap of some sort or other retention device that are built into the blackhawk holster. He was not paying any attention and I could have easily came up behind him and jacked his weapon.

The next thing he did which really just sent my head spinning was that he was trying out a new holster for the gun he was carrying. At the gun counter he opened the holster than proceeded to drop the magazine and turn the weapon across his body to rack the slide in a manner so as when the shell ejected he could catch it in his hand. By doing so he flagged his wife. At this point I told him that he just flagged his wife and that if he had a ND he would have shot his wife and his unborn child. His response was that he was a narcotics cop and that he knew what he was doing. I responded you sure didn't show it and that first off you shouldn't be playing around with a loaded weapon in public and second you should as heck should know where you are pointing your barrel. He got all upset and just told me again that he was a cop and that I needed to mind my own business. I just looked at him and said what ever I bet your Captain would have loved to seen this little episode.

This just proved just because you are supposed to know how to use a gun doesn't mean you do.

Too true. Just because someone's an LEO, it doesn't mean they are a firearms expert.
    Guest1 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Do you know he was a cop besides him telling you? Reason for asking is I have never known a "narc" to open carry.
    NCW Ray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    Do you know he was a cop besides him telling you? Reason for asking is I have never known a "narc" to open carry.
    Nope he told me was the only reason I know. I found it odd that he would tell me he was in narcotics. Not something I would do.

Good point!
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Doesn't sound like he was into any suggestions...I would have left the area immediately.OMOYMV
    NY27 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

my turn to tell a story, at my old job we had a secure, armed access point (at a prison). shift change comes, as is protocol guy getting off takes off pistol (9mm). problem is he racks slide to "unload" chamber and then drops mag and then pulls trigger........bang, oh crap, nobody hurt, guys gets 3 days off, unpaid,..............3 days later, same guy, shift change and the guy who's releaving him asks what happen, the guy does the exact same thing again AND PULLS THE TRIGGER.........bang, oh crap, nobody hurt, and this retard still has a job and still gets a gun somedays...........moral of story....badge/title/years of being around guns MEANS SQUAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, we've all heard it before! I'm the only person in this room qualified to handle this Glock! BANG!
    ccman, mook012 and ZX9RCAM like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Nope he told me was the only reason I know. I found it odd that he would tell me he was in narcotics. Not something I would do.
    I'll go with probably not a cop. He probably had 5.11's on too...
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

This reminded me of a comment my father made the other morning. My father was a Drill Sgt in the army, master firearms instructor, went through FBI sniper school, The training etc he has gone through and the 30+ years of military and police training has pretty much made him my go to guy when it comes to asking for work in certain areas. Anyways a buddy of mine and I are building a portable bullet trap and target stand setup and I was tossing some Ideas past my father and he started tossing out the idea of marketing this to sell to PD's for their qualifying sessions etc. Anyways during this discussion he brings up materials used as "cops are the worst shot out there" I got quite the laugh as I've spend many weekends at the range with him helping him qualify new recruits etc and it is amazing how clueless some of these guys are. I have seen more than a few get benched for breaking safety protocols. When it comes down to it. Yes LEO's carry every day but regardless of what they think they don't always know *** they are doing. Seems this guy was one.

Administrator
    this struck me as odd and stupid too. And I'm sure his boss already knows he is a tool bag.
    ccman and Rock and Glock like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good call I didn't even notice the part in the post about him saying he was a Narc. My father was a Narc for 4 years back in the mid 90's. During this time you could usually find the Charter Arms .38 snubby I carry on occasion now on his ankle. otherwise he usually had 2 wallets one with assumed name on all his cards and ID's and a real one with badge and real ID's etc. But he never open carried.
    64zebra likes this.

All ND's I've seen , except one, were by LEO's handling their own gun.... and was nearly shot in 2 of them. But then, that's also who I was around alot who were handling guns, so that made it more likely as well.

One guy had 2 ND's while I was there with him, and the 2nd one nearly got me, hitting the counter in front of me and putting wood splinters into my hand. I told him rather bluntly.... to put the friggin gun down and several other descriptive adjectives about his intelligence level.

Because they are an LEO, does not mean they are that accustomed to handling guns, it would be a bad assumption to assume they are a gun person, and that they are safe at all.

I'm remembering the news report and video of the female officer, pointing her gun at a suspect who's laying on the ground and been handcuffed & another officer is beside him, but she had her finger on the trigger and suddenly her gun goes off and she shoots him in the head.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Believe it or not a lot of LEO's have never touched a gun until they get hired,they get a couple of hours of classroom training and then hit the range for live fire,once they shoot to qualify and pass,they may never shoot their gun again until they have to
    qualify,and the General Public seems to think that because their firearms are like hammers to carpenters,that they are expert shots and masters of their weapons.
    Sometimes in all honesty there are Leo's that make sure they are behind some dipsticks when they pull their guns since they are less likely to get shot there.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Believe it or not a lot of LEO's have never touched a gun until they get hired,they get a couple of hours of classroom training and then hit the range for live fire,once they shoot to qualify and pass,they may never shoot their gun again until they have to
    qualify,and the General Public seems to think that because their firearms are like hammers to carpenters,that they are expert shots and masters of their weapons.
    Sometimes in all honesty there are Leo's that make sure they are behind some dipsticks when they pull their guns since they are less likely to get shot there.
    sadly, CCW is even less qualification than that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links