A question from an Anti

This is a discussion on A question from an Anti within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Yesterday, I was having a phone conversation with my mother, a die hard anti who claims to HATE guns. My mother also knows that both ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: A question from an Anti

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

A question from an Anti

Yesterday, I was having a phone conversation with my mother, a die hard anti who claims to HATE guns. My mother also knows that both my wife and I own and carry Glocks. Apparently my mother saw something about the "rise of the American gun" book and also overheard some coworkers talk about leaving their CCW in their car, which she knows I do when I am at work. During the call she asked the following question: "when you are carrying 'it' in your pants, what keeps 'it' from going off and blowing your toes off?" I had the phone on speaker phone and my wife and I both tried to explain that these 'things' just don't go off on their own and that unless the trigger is pulled it doesn't fire. We stated that when it is in a holster that the trigger area is enclosed so that this doesn't happen. We explained how Glocks have mechanisms to prevent them from going off if they are dropped. My wife also stated that most guns that lack thumb safeties also have a heavier and longer trigger pull. None of this seemed to register or make sense to my mother, who appears to be under the impression that these 'things' really do just, go off on their own.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    My Glock almost just went off. It was my own stupidity that it almost just went off. I got the safety strap caught in the trigger guard, I wasn't paying any attention to what I was doing re-holstering.

VIP Member
    Take her to the range and let her see for herself that it won't "just go off by itself".
    mano3, afojc and oneyeopn like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wow sky - glad it didn't, I am always worried about getting my shirt or somthing in the holster.

My parents just took classes for CCW here in WI.
    Durring one of the initial discussion processes, I took the occasion to show them several different types of guns, operation and safety features.
    My mother was initially appaled that a revolver didn't have a safety - same mentality. After demonstrating safe handleing of each, they touched and tried each (dry fire only) and came to the conclusion on their own. The gun will not just go off by its self - yes, safe handleing is always required.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Take her to the range and let her see for herself that it won't "just go off by itself".
    You're not allowed to drop your gun at the range! And that's what she's afraid of. :)

Could you placate mom by not keeping one round in the chamber? It strikes me as wise to not have the +1 anyway
    oneyeopn likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    "when you are carrying 'it' in your pants, what keeps 'it' from going off and blowing your toes off?"
    A holster.

Don't bother arguing, some people will just never "get it."
    afojc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    You're not allowed to drop your gun at the range! And that's what she's afraid of. :)
    I was at the range with my wife one time and she "let" me use her Beretta Neos which she has all stylized for her, pink slide, pink grips, pink sights. I dropped it some mud and stared at it. I wasn't afraid of it going off, I was afraid her going off!!!!!!!
    pfries and afojc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    My Glock almost just went off. It was my own stupidity that it almost just went off. I got the safety strap caught in the trigger guard, I wasn't paying any attention to what I was doing re-holstering.
    That is why I like a XD or other weapons with a grip safety. I put my thumb on the rear of the slide when I reholster, that way the grip safety is not depressed and the weapon can not fire.

Could you placate mom by not keeping one round in the chamber? It strikes me as wise to not have the +1 anyway
    As you tell the BG.......just wait for a second while I load my gun! If it is not cocked and locked it won't go BANG when you need it.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    That is why I like a XD or other weapons with a grip safety. I put my thumb on the rear of the slide when I reholster, that way the grip safety is not depressed and the weapon can not fire.
    The gun doesn't make a bit of difference. I wasn't paying attention to detail and ... The only safety I need is the one between my ears and that safety lacked coffee. I'm not going to rely on some sort of manual safety to keep me from shooting myself. Lesson learned on my part (PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THE HECK YOU ARE DOING!!!).

Tell her it is the product liability lawyers that keep it from going off. If someone offered a product that was so unreliable and so hazardous that it could possibly "just go off" like she is worried about, they would be sued out of existence the first time it happened. Tell her the engineers wanted to make them like that but the legal department wouldn't let them.
    afojc, oneyeopn, W9HDG and 2 others like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

It may sound a bit....uhm....sexist, but just ask her if her vacuum cleaner, blender or washing machine has ever "just turned on?" For men, ask if that table saw, skill saw or car ever just "turned itself on."

No? That's because a human must manipulate a button, switch or lever to make them do what they are supposed to do, and that is what a trigger is. It is an activation switch that MUST be activated manually and intentionally or the gun will not operate.

Maybe that will get the point across, but I doubt it.

People with a deep visceral fear of guns have watched too many movies that show guns as just popping off rounds if dropped or bumped and will never see that the triggers and safeties are there for a reason. Can human mishandling actually cause a gun to go off? Sure, but the human must over ride those safeties intentionally, if not stupidly and accidentally.
    oneyeopn, niks, afojc and 3 others like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member

(sigh)
    Okemo, AZ Hawk, RonCo and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Yesterday, I was having a phone conversation with my mother, a die hard anti who claims to HATE guns. My mother also knows that both my wife and I own and carry Glocks. Apparently my mother saw something about the "rise of the American gun" book and also overheard some coworkers talk about leaving their CCW in their car, which she knows I do when I am at work. During the call she asked the following question: "when you are carrying 'it' in your pants, what keeps 'it' from going off and blowing your toes off?" I had the phone on speaker phone and my wife and I both tried to explain that these 'things' just don't go off on their own and that unless the trigger is pulled it doesn't fire. We stated that when it is in a holster that the trigger area is enclosed so that this doesn't happen. We explained how Glocks have mechanisms to prevent them from going off if they are dropped. My wife also stated that most guns that lack thumb safeties also have a heavier and longer trigger pull. None of this seemed to register or make sense to my mother, who appears to be under the impression that these 'things' really do just, go off on their own.
    What is the rationale for telling a die-hard anti who red-letter hates guns that not only you but also your wife regularly carry concealed firearms? The time for advice was BEFORE you shared that particular bit of information.

Sad to say that there are some people so convinced by the anti firearm rhetoric that they may be a lost cause for any reasonable discussion on the subject.

Having said that, I would not waste time trying to convince someone so convinced that she is correct. You can't fix what is unwilling to be fixed.

Even though the person is your own mother, sometimes facing the reality she may never change has to be addressed and maybe accepted for what it is.
    oneyeopn likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links