Idiot graces pawn shop...

This is a discussion on Idiot graces pawn shop... within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Was in my local pawnshop waiting for the paperwork to go through on a new to me 29-2 yesterday and one of the guys was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Idiot graces pawn shop...

Idiot graces pawn shop...

Was in my local pawnshop waiting for the paperwork to go through on a new to me 29-2 yesterday and one of the guys was telling me about an experience that he'd had recently. It seems the pawnshop had received a call from a gentleman who had a cocked .38 special and couldn't figure out how to "uncock" the gun. The pawn guy explained it to him several times but the guy just wasn't getting it. So he brought the gun down to the store and sure enough, it was cocked....and fully loaded!. The pawn guy carefully took the weapon from the man, gently lowered the hammer, unloaded it and proceeded to explain to the fella that he probably shouldn't be owning a firearm without a bit more instruction on how it functions...guy shrugged his shoulders and walked off with his gun....

On a positive note, here's what came home with me yesterday....

Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

2. Remove Ads

You did watch when they showed the guy how decock I hope.

Nice looking piece.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Sure...ya just pull that half-moon thingy on the bottom...sometimes it makes a loud noise, sometimes it doesn't...haven't figured out what the difference is yet.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    good looking gun

VIP Member
    Great looking 29.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks for the compliments...someone who owned it previously went and had the barrel ported, which I find kind of annoying...they did a good job, but still...

Anyway, I think I've got access to a new 6 1/2" nickel barrel which I'll have it changed out to, once I find someone I trust to do the work. May be I'll just send it back to S&W with the new barrel and have them do it next Winter...it's getting too close to "shooting season" to mess with it now.

Nice iron.

VIP Member
    Whats wrong with the barrel being ported?
    If you intend on using it for hunting, you will want to shoot the firearm enough to be very accurate with it, therefore, the porting will be a Godsend.

Now, back to the pawnshop owners conversation with idiot gunowner.
    he should have told the dummy, that the only way to "decock" the hammer, would be to insert the barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger. JK
    I wonder how some people manage to get out of bed in the morning, Geezzzz!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ...too stupid to live

if they had to pass a test ( to have babies) there would be much less social unrest

---something i did not use to say as often and an observation
    ------------------

nice addition. and it may be that the porting comes to be a feature you appreciate.

things i have purchased that had a slight 'gonna change that' feature-- looking back, I've
    seldom made the correction. it either grew on me or it was a difference that wasn't.
    or....mostly, it was not worth the cost and the chance that something collateral would happen.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    couldn't figure out how to "uncock" the gun. ...guy shrugged his shoulders and walked off with his gun
    Not sure which is worse, that the induhvidual couldn't figure it out (it's not rocket science) or the attitude at the end. Carnac the Magnificent says "I see a ND in the near future".

Very nice S&W 29.
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

oneshot, a little harsh, don't ya think

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Whats wrong with the barrel being ported?
    If you intend on using it for hunting, you will want to shoot the firearm enough to be very accurate with it, therefore, the porting will be a Godsend.

Now, back to the pawnshop owners conversation with idiot gunowner.
    he should have told the dummy, that the only way to "decock" the hammer, would be to insert the barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger. JK
    I wonder how some people manage to get out of bed in the morning, Geezzzz!
    Just personal preference, no hunting intentions, in fact it will only see mild-medium loads because of my arthritic wrists. There're plenty of space age whiz-bang giganto-mongo caliber revolvers that probably need the ports, however, IMO they detract from a classic like the 29.

I think the pawn guy had the right idea suggesting more training/familiarization, I tend to agree with Cold Shot's appraisal regardless of the fellows ineptitude with his weapon...it's scary to think there are people out there buying guns who have absolutely ZERO idea of their function, but don't necessarily think they should be put to death for it. If I'm interested in something, I learn about it before I attempt it...I thought that was pretty much SOP for people in general...guess not.

Fine-lookin' big bore!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Cool

Sweet 29.

I really like the grips.

Regards,

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Good looking iron.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links