Accidental Disharge at Church

This is a discussion on Accidental Disharge at Church within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My prayers go out. On an accident i agree, her getting shot, accident. The fact that she was directly in line with the barrel through ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Accidental Disharge at Church

My prayers go out.

On an accident i agree, her getting shot, accident. The fact that she was directly in line with the barrel through a wall. Im willing to bet that he was carrying FMJ's, and not HP's. Another thing is Treat Every Gun As If It were Loaded! Even if you drop the mag, pull the slide back a couple of times and check the chamber. Common sense.

Keep your nose picker off the bang bang switch, and no bang happens.

Even though the guys who shot, i send prayers to them, and hope that their hearing isnt damaged to bad, among their other problems.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

As more citizens decide to armed themselves these incidents will increase. (Obviously.) We can't have it both ways meaning the 2A gives everyone the right to own a firearm and this also means that poor judgement and incompetence are also benefactors. And sadly the proof is found to often at the expense of the innocent.

Hopefully these tragic events will motivate us to re-visit our own beliefs and practices. Its the least we can do to honor the victims.
    suntzu, barstoolguru and gunthorp like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    It was an accident; however negligent the action was, it was not the intended result.
    I must differ.

Clearly, one of the geniuses in the closet placed their finger on the trigger, and pulled it. The firing pin was projected through the breech face as a result. This is the only possible intended outcome of pulling the trigger.

What followed was unintentional, but not accidental.

Matt
    jerp likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Argh.

It aggravates the heck out of me to see these incidents labeled as "accidents". This was not an accident, this was gross negligence. IMHO, this should be considered criminally culpable negligence, and the individual who discharged the firearm should be arrested.
    After reading what the bone head was doing (Showing the weapon to another church member) I completely agree.... IMO, there were three stupid thing this person did that resulted in the ND. 1. was feeling the need to show it to someone else. It's not a freaking toy, send the guy or gal to the store where they can handle um all day long safely! 2. Dropped the mag, but failed to clear the chamber. Loaded or not loaded, IMO you don't do one action without doing the other in regards to an auto loader. And lastly, but not least important. Un-holstering a loaded weapon in a public place without the presence of a threat.

Idiots like this should not be carrying firearms.... It's a deadly weapon and should never be taken out except to unload, inspect, clean, dry fire practice, or to lock away in the safe. IMO, in any other condition it should be holstered and left alone.
    l1a1 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

There is a clear sense of fault here, safety rules where broke and someone got hurt. This is clear that it is a negative discharge and not an accident. the lesson here is no matter how long you handle a firearm always treat as if it is loaded regardless if it is or not.

Our prayers go out to the family because whatever happens from here on out she her life has changed because of the negligent of another. Clearly their faith will be challenged and I hope they find peace in all of this chaos

there is no such thing as an accidental discharge, this was negligence that resulted in an unwanted firing of the weapon.
    remember the 4 rules

RIP, a real shame for all those involved

VIP Member
    By definition if it was unintentional, then it is accidental...

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    its becoming fashionable to carry a gun. among the established carriers there is a mind set regarding having a hand gun-- 'our' way of thinking about self defense.
    many new to carrying, who are not of a similar mind set, have the gun, but do not understand what they have.
    gun handling skills at public ranges don't border on dangerous---they are.
    and in public, stories like this one are becoming common. tragically so.

until one can come up with a method that will put across to new gun owners safety as a way of life
    without involving government mandates these incidents will continue to be called 'accidents' and will continue...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    My prayers for all involved what a tragedy. My hope is for a full recovery and that others will learn from this huge mistake all of their lives are changed forever.

sgb
    i d i o t
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

It was a negligent discharge.

Different jurisdictions have different definitions of gross negligence, this was at least negligence.. mostly on the part of the gun owner, the puller of the trigger also shares some of the blame but was likely ignorant. A jury would decide the percentage fault in a civil suit. A criminal charge could be filed and I would expect it if the young lady dies. If she has other than minor injuries I would expect a civil suit.

My prayers go out to the young lady and I hope she recovers completely.

VIP Member
    Not the time or place for a firearms transaction. Why did he not clear the chamber if checking the trigger pull? If it was an LC9 there is a red chamber indication bar that comes up, you can't miss it. I hope for two things right now: 1). full recovery for the girl! 2). We all can learn from this guys mistake. So I hope somebody reads the story and learns a lesson from it.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    By definition if it was unintentional, then it is accidental...
    no, negligence is the root cause of 99.9% of any accidental gun discharge
    tbrenke likes this.

VIP Member
    Tragic unintended consequences of negligence due to ignorance or carelessness. Prayers sent.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    My prayers go out.

On an accident i agree, her getting shot, accident. The fact that she was directly in line with the barrel through a wall. Im willing to bet that he was carrying FMJ's, and not HP's. Another thing is Treat Every Gun As If It were Loaded! Even if you drop the mag, pull the slide back a couple of times and check the chamber. Common sense.

Keep your nose picker off the bang bang switch, and no bang happens.

Even though the guys who shot, i send prayers to them, and hope that their hearing isnt damaged to bad, among their other problems.
    I beg to differ on one point;I can PERSONALLY attest to the fact that a JHP can penetrate at least 4 layers of sheetrock.!!!!
    l1a1 likes this.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links