Accidental Disharge at Church - Page 4

Accidental Disharge at Church

This is a discussion on Accidental Disharge at Church within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by hoghunter84 UPDATE: Had a company wide meeting today in two country's (US & Thailand) praying at the same time at 11:30 EST ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Accidental Disharge at Church

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    UPDATE:

Had a company wide meeting today in two country's (US & Thailand) praying at the same time at 11:30 EST for Hanna and family. Hanna had the bullet removed Sunday evening and she made progress last night and is still alive. Took over two hours to perform the procedure. The docs gave her a 1% chance of survival. Today she was blinking her eyes so there is sign of brain function. She is, however, in a coma at this time. All other vital signs are perfect. Her brain is very swollen and they are waiting for it to subside.

Every moment I think about her and all involved, I hope and pray for healing and strength.
    Thanks for the update to this sad story... I said a little prayer for her before I replied to this post. I pray that she survives this tragedy and I harbor no animosity for the guy who caused it, as it was not intentional. I just pray that she doesn't have to loss her fight for life for this guy and possibly others to learn how absolutely senseless and wrong his actions were.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Sadly I think we fool ourselves into thinking that ND's/AD's don't happen even to the best of us. How many times does it make the news when sombody runs a stop light. Never unless someone is killed. Same thing, this happens day in and day out but fortunatly nobody is hurt. But the negligence is still the same. The girl is in our prayers

So right you are. Moreover, this happens a lot more with auto-loaders than revolvers, and that's the way its been in my 30-years of experience.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Thanks for the update to this sad story... I said a little prayer for her before I replied to this post. I pray that she survives this tragedy and I harbor no animosity for the guy who caused it, as it was not intentional. I just pray that she doesn't have to loss her fight for life for this guy and possibly others to learn how absolutely senseless and wrong his actions were.
    The person who fired the shot intentionally pointed the firearm in an unsafe direction and intentionally pulled the trigger.

He may not have intended to shoot the young woman, but the immediate cause of his shooting her was completely intentional.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The person who fired the shot intentionally pointed the firearm in an unsafe direction and intentionally pulled the trigger.

He may not have intended to shoot the young woman, but the immediate cause of his shooting her was completely intentional.
    I totally understand what you're saying. It's just that my heart can't feed both hate and compassion at the same time... Being that it was not an intentional shoot like the Gabrielle Giffords shooting. I choose to send out warm thoughts and prayers for the victim and stow the hateful thoughts for the guy. I'm sure he's living his own private hell right now anyway...

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    I don't have any particular hate for the guy. I have lots of compassion for her as well.

I just don't like to see this sort of thing minimized by calling it an "accident". Traditionally, "accident" carries with it some notion of unavoidability. This was absolutely avoidable.

Matt
    Olduser likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    I don't have any particular hate for the guy. I have lots of compassion for her as well.

I just don't like to see this sort of thing minimized by calling it an "accident". Traditionally, "accident" carries with it some notion of unavoidability. This was absolutely avoidable.

Matt
    I completely agree...

Ugh... after reading this thread I feel a strong desire to empty the contents of my innards.

Praying for ALL involved.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Please keep us updated on the young girl's progress. She is in our prayers..

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    there is no such thing as an accidental discharge, this was negligence that resulted in an unwanted firing of the weapon.
    I respectfully, disagree with your statement. Although this incident appears to have involved gross negligence, accidental discharges do happen. A friend of mine, a SWAT team leader and veteran police officer had an AD during a training exercise last November. As he holstered his Para Ordnance .45 it discharged, striking him in the calf. Witnesses, and both internal and external investigators, verified that he was not negligent. An examination of his pistol revealed a failure of the trigger mechanism.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
    I respectfully, disagree with your statement. Although this incident appears to have involved gross negligence, accidental discharges do happen. A friend of mine, a SWAT team leader and veteran police officer had an AD during a training exercise last November. As he holstered his Para Ordnance .45 it discharged, striking him in the calf. Witnesses, and both internal and external investigators, verified that he was not negligent. An examination of his pistol revealed a failure of the trigger mechanism.
    Fair enough.

"Accidental Discharge" = mechanical failure of the firearm causing discharge without operator pulling trigger.
    "Negligent Discharge" = mental failure of the operator causing the trigger to be pulled causing discharge.

Matt

UPDATE

Hanna has made big strides in her recovery. The docs had to take her off the medicine that helps with the swelling around 8:00 last night because this medicine also effects her kidney's. Overnight the swelling did not increase and it has actually gone down this afternoon without any meds. Shes making it on her own and a with the help of prayer. She also has been able to keep down liquid food so this is another good sign.

Another good sign is that they are seeing brain function when her mother kisses her on the cheek. When she kisses the left cheek the right side of her brain lights up and and vice versa. The right side is a little less than the right but thats because the bullet was more on the right half of her brain. There is activity on the right side which is a good thing.

Keep Mr. Moses in your thoughts also as he deals with the tragedy. He is not doing good with the situation and the doctors have him on medicine. Although he was the one to make a big mistake we need to forgive him and see that a miracle is happening in this tragic story.
    gottabkiddin and Mike1956 like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    UPDATE

Hanna has made big strides in her recovery. The docs had to take her off the medicine that helps with the swelling around 8:00 last night because this medicine also effects her kidney's. Overnight the swelling did not increase and it has actually gone down this afternoon without any meds. Shes making it on her own and a with the help of prayer. She also has been able to keep down liquid food so this is another good sign.

Another good sign is that they are seeing brain function when her mother kisses her on the cheek. When she kisses the left cheek the right side of her brain lights up and and vice versa. The right side is a little less than the right but thats because the bullet was more on the right half of her brain. There is activity on the right side which is a good thing.

Keep Mr. Moses in your thoughts also as he deals with the tragedy. He is not doing good with the situation and the doctors have him on medicine. Although he was the one to make a big mistake we need to forgive him and see that a miracle is happening in this tragic story.
    Glad to here she is showing some positive signs.

As far as forgiving him, that's not for me to do. I still believe, forgiveness or not, that he should be facing criminal charges for his negligence.

Matt

Glad to hear that she's responding well, and thanks for the update.

VIP Member
    again thank you for the update.

It's good to hear that she's hanging on. I've certainly said numerouse prayers for her over the past couple days. As a relatively new gun owner, tragedies like this certainly keep me very conscious of what I have on my hip and what it's capable of.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links