Accidental Disharge at Church

This is a discussion on Accidental Disharge at Church within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; 'Tragic accident': Pastor's daughter shot at church - US news - Life - msnbc.com Not a good advert for CCW. I mean really, the most ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Accidental Disharge at Church

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Accidental Disharge at Church

'Tragic accident': Pastor's daughter shot at church - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Not a good advert for CCW. I mean really, the most basic of all firearm safety rules. Fits right in to MSNBC's anti 2A agenda.

To quote one of my favorite TV shows of all time:

"And Hey! Let's be careful out there."
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "Concealed" means concealed. Best thoughts to the innocent victim here.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    Argh.

It aggravates the heck out of me to see these incidents labeled as "accidents". This was not an accident, this was gross negligence. IMHO, this should be considered criminally culpable negligence, and the individual who discharged the firearm should be arrested.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Anybody that carries a firearm should know the condition of their gun,and until you clear the damn thing it's always loaded,Moises might have a permit to carry,but he apparently doesn't have the training,or common sense.
    IMHO if she dies he needs to be charged with involuntary manslaughter,but then again he may not be the shooter,I'm inclined to believe that the Gun "Guru" was showing how the gun works and said now pull the trigger,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Tragic. No excuse for stupid. Saftey rules violated. Young lady pay's the price. Showing a gun in church? pretty dumb. Arm chair debating will beat this one to death! Anti's will no doubt run with this giving firearms a blackeye.

I work with Hanna and Dustin. They are wonderful kids. The guy showing off is a 46 year old security guard and should know better. Having a gun is a great responsibility and taking one to show and tell around the youth group at a church isn't the place for it.

I was at the hospital yesterday and heard the bullet entered the back of her head and stopped just short of her forehead. Just praying Hanna makes it thru.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    The first rule of gun safety: THE GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED!!! Total disregard for that rule here. I will be interested to know exactly what gun he had. Article says it was a Ruger 9mm. If it was a SR9 series or a LC9, those guns have a magazine disconnect. It is reported the guy took the magazine out and then fired the gun. It should have not fired with the magazine out unless he took out the magazine disconnect. If he wasn't in enough trouble already he is in for more trouble trying to explain why he disabled the magazine safety if that turns out to be the case.
    bigmacque likes this.

VIP Member
    We're getting ready to transfer our membership to a new church and going through new member indoctrination. When I go to meet with my parish 'elder', I plan on asking for permission to carry at that church (required in the state of GA). I honestly don't expect them to approve it though, based on examples such as this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    I work with Hanna and Dustin. They are wonderful kids. The guy showing off is a 46 year old security guard and should know better. Having a gun is a great responsibility and taking one to show and tell around the youth group at a church isn't the place for it.

I was at the hospital yesterday and heard the bullet entered the back of her head and stopped just short of her forehead. Just praying Hanna makes it thru.
    I'm confident in speaking for everyone reading this when I ask you to extend the thoughts and prayers of all of us here to the victim, her family, congregation and friends.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm confident in speaking for everyone reading this when I ask you to extend the thoughts and prayers of all of us here to the victim, her family, congregation and friends.
    Yup. On my DC prayer list.

Sadly I think we fool ourselves into thinking that ND's/AD's don't happen even to the best of us. How many times does it make the news when sombody runs a stop light. Never unless someone is killed. Same thing, this happens day in and day out but fortunatly nobody is hurt. But the negligence is still the same. The girl is in our prayers
    Saber likes this.

Incidents like this should never happen, but sadly, they do and gross negligence is always the cause.

We had a couple at the Cheddar's Restaurant in Ashland, KY last year trying to put a handgun in the center console, one of them had a CC permit and Cheddar's is not posted. Mom got distracted, their two year old daughter got hold of the pistol, shot herself in the face and died. Just tragic and most of all preventable.

Always assume the firearm is loaded and be in control of it at all times. They can injure or kill if used improperly as well as properly. It isn't like a cell phone or other device.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Argh.

It aggravates the heck out of me to see these incidents labeled as "accidents". This was not an accident, this was gross negligence. IMHO, this should be considered criminally culpable negligence, and the individual who discharged the firearm should be arrested.
    It was an accident; however negligent the action was, it was not the intended result.

We lose another point in the fight and right to bear arms. Score one for the opposing team. So sad and what a shame.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Argh.

I agree completely. Aside from the injury to an innocent person,this does not help the pro carry idea.
    IMHO,this is another result of the "comic" training requirements for a FL CWP.
    CaptSmith likes this.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links