CWP Instructor/Deputy accidentaly shoots student.

This is a discussion on CWP Instructor/Deputy accidentaly shoots student. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; One of Chuck Wrights guys too... I feel so bad for him and all involved. Thank goodness she is going to be alright. Simple not ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: CWP Instructor/Deputy accidentaly shoots student.

CWP Instructor/Deputy accidentaly shoots student.

One of Chuck Wrights guys too... I feel so bad for him and all involved. Thank goodness she is going to be alright. Simple not checking status of the firearm....

Deputy Accidentally Shoots Woman In Concealed Weapon Class | WSPA

2. Remove Ads

Rule #1: Every weapon is ALWAYS loaded...
    TVille and larrylandon like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

"IT FIRED A SHOT" it must have a mind of it's own..
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Glad everybody is okay. It could have turned out much much worse

Still smells like lawsuit though

Wow... That's really unfortunate. I bet there were a few people in that class that were relatively new to guns, they might be having second thoughts about carrying now.

Hopefully they'll take at least one thing from the experience: the safety rules apply to EVERYONE, even the experienced and the people teaching them.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

The Sheriff Calls it a mistake,but i call it NEGLIGENCE,Somebody that has been certified as an Instructor should not only check the condition of the weapon,but apparently has poor muzzle discipline.IMHO he needs his license to teach yanked
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Sounds to me like they had maybe more people in the class than the available instructors could handle, and another woman had troubles with her pistol, and the deputy took control of her LOADED firearm and forgot rule #1.

Thank God it was a .22.
    I know I know, .22's kill all day everyday, but had this been a 9mm on up, they would have possibly been arranging a funeral.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I wonder what the sheriff would have called it if she "accidently" shot the deputy.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

..............and we are concerned that Mr. Ralston (Doomsday Preppers) gives gun owners a black eye
    Aiko likes this.

Nobody "accidently" shoots anybody. Weapon was handled in a negligent manner, without due regard for safety, by a careless operator. Big difference in the semantics!

Story: Man picks up a snake in the snow and carries it to a warmer place. Snake bites him. Man asks snake "why did you do that?" Snake replies "Don't blame me, you knew what I was when you picked me up!"

I EDC a J Frame. I never lose track (after 50+ years of handling firearms) that that pretty little thing can and will bite if mishandled. We get careless through frequent handling of our weapons. Firearms training doesn't alleviate the problem, if anything frequent use exacerbates it. Any time you handle weapon (not "draw weapon", that is different ball game) remember, it can bite. " You knew what I was when you picked me up!"
    msgt/ret, ctr, CaptSmith and 1 others like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The Sheriff Calls it a mistake,but i call it NEGLIGENCE,Somebody that has been certified as an Instructor should not only check the condition of the weapon,but apparently has poor muzzle discipline.IMHO he needs his license to teach yanked
    Gonna play Devils Advocate here....

My state ( Pennsylvania ) does NOT require certified training in order to obtain carry status.

While I firmly believe ALL gunowners should learn gun safety and know the Law as well as how to USE their gun ,
    I DO NOT think the STATE should determine exactly how this is accomplished.

I feel each INDIVIDUAL should demonstrate that they take responsibility for themselves.
    Military experience and or an NRA firearms -safety , or Hunters safety course possibly with a brief openbook test on state Law
    would make sense.

NO 8 hour course can teach a complete novice how to SHOOT - Handle Firearms SAFELY - AND Know the Laws of Carrying.

NO ONE INSTRUCTOR ( maybe working for $8/hr ) can be expected to have a comprehensive knowledge of all handguns ,be capable
    of training a large group of people AND be a Range Officer at the same time.

NO Military or LE agency teaches it's members this way - WHY is it acceptable for Civilians who want to carry ???
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

here is your sign...."DOH"

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    LEOs don't get a free pass. The title should be deputy negligently shoots student.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

I'm happy the woman will be okay, but this was not an "accident." "I didn't know it was loaded," is not an excuse to shoot someone.
    My number one rule when teaching my kids and grandkids to shoot is "keep the gun pointed in a safe direction." Loaded, unloaded, no matter what.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Gonna play Devils Advocate here....

NO 8 hour course can teach a complete novice how to SHOOT - Handle Firearms SAFELY - AND Know the Laws of Carrying.
    As an active NRA Instructor, I make it clear in my Basic Pistol Course that the purpose of this course is not to make you a good shot. Rather, it is to make you competent and safe, not necessarily in that order. Simply put, for a new shooter, safety is absolutely everything.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links