Keep your finger off the trigger! (Powerful lesson learned)

This is a discussion on Keep your finger off the trigger! (Powerful lesson learned) within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I took my two sons paintballing the other day and during one of the matches, one of my teammates asked me to cover him as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Keep your finger off the trigger! (Powerful lesson learned)

VIP Member

Keep your finger off the trigger! (Powerful lesson learned)

I took my two sons paintballing the other day and during one of the matches, one of my teammates asked me to cover him as he ran from one barrier to another. As he ran, I got up, intending to fire towards the opposing team. Instead, as I stood up, I was watching my teammate run and I began to fire, thinking I was pointing my gun towards my opponents.

I hit my teammate twice.

Two lessons learned:

1. Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire your weapon.
    2. Never point your gun at anyone or anything you don't intend to destroy.

Simple lessons and I know them by heart. But putting lessons learned by rote into practice is another matter.

Thank God it was only paintball!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

Its paintball. While in a match if you are not on the trigger, you are not winning.

VIP Member
    The lessons I learned were not regarding paintball, but regarding handling my gun in everyday situations.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Senior Moderator
    Target focus - you will unconsciously aim at what you're looking at, especially under stress.
    357and40, Bark'n, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Target focus - you will unconsciously aim at what you're looking at, especially under stress.
    A great point that is often overlooked. Thank you for bringing it up.

Ben, good thread. Thanks for sharing the experience. I will echo you: Thank God it was only paintball. Definitely taught you a valuable lesson.
    mano3 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I played paintball once. I was on my son's team, I know most of the boys on it. They blew the whistle and the opposing team and my team shot me good. That's my boy!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    good point....and you will look at who is talking

thus allowing his flankers to slowly change position. which will seldom be to your advantage.
    so when peoples' on the street engage you in 'converstaion'.....feeling you out so to speak, look at the end people while center man talks. they will find this disconcerting and
    perhaps notice that your hand is in a vest pocket that may have a gun in it....

mine does, perhaps yours should have a 642 also.

-------------------

paintball missed me by a few decades, my youth was with BB guns and SpaceMan X helmets
    to protect the eyes. i've noticed that those with a paintball background take to real guns pretty well---

but need close attention to safety/ muzzle control. and they tend to like large cap guns...
    BenGoodLuck and Bark'n like this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I gotta couple of so called friends that I wouldn't mind tagging a few times with a paintball..

Seriously though, good points being made here. Also, a lesson learned the hard way, always leaves a lasting impression.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I played paintball once. I was on my son's team, I know most of the boys on it. They blew the whistle and the opposing team and my team shot me good. That's my boy!
    This is probably good fodder for another thread (being a good father makes you good fodder...GROAN!), but I think paintball is the best way to practice real-world gun handling and scenarios in a relatively safe and fun way!
    Ben

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    With friends like you who needs........

My two boys wanted me to play paintball with them, when I said I didn't have a paintball gun they said thats ok you don't need one. Didn't take long to figure out I was the target. I told them I would get my bow and put a blunt on an arrow and they could play "run from the blunt."

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Its paintball. While in a match if you are not on the trigger, you are not winning.

I *always* practice safe gun handling techniques while paintballing. Whether I'm waiting for a match to start or I'm buried in leaves and brush waiting for an enemy to cross my line of sight, my finger is off the trigger until I'm ready to take a shot.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My 12-year-old son almost learned this lesson the hard way. He mis-counted the rounds in our .38 revolver and had the hammer cocked and his finger on the trigger - BANG!

Thank God he remembered to keep the muzzle down range...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I was playing paintball and I made a bee-line for a barrier my cousin was hiding behind, I dove in, and shot him right in the leg. That was in high school, and I think that was actually the last day I played paintball. It was a lot of fun, but expensive for a kid who bought his own stuff.

Ah, isn't that the definition of "friendly fire"?
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I need to buy a paintball gun before the RNC comes to town. You just know there's going to be some deserving dung heaps up to no good. Tag 'em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links