BAD: I made a negligent mistake the other day.

This is a discussion on BAD: I made a negligent mistake the other day. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by ctr Very good. So few people today understand what doing the right thing and taking responsbility means. Thanks. It's how I was ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: BAD: I made a negligent mistake the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Very good. So few people today understand what doing the right thing and taking responsbility means.
    Thanks. It's how I was raised. Was in Good Will the other day seeing if I could find any good buys and the lady under charged me for a shirt I bought for my girl. I told her of the mistake and payed the extra 5 dollars. It's how I roll. lol
    Hoganbeg, Cook74 and Bark'n like this.

2. Remove Ads

Food for Thought!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Wow, if true, we now know how to make home made vests; start at the water trap of the local course.

While I don't think what happened is impossible, I am pretty darn skeptical.

I will let an engineer comment on elastic and inelastic collisions and how much energy would be lost
    just by the act of being deflected; and in through the wall to drywall but still intact? Nope.

I won't say never, but sounds fishy to me too.

Anyway, taking responsibility even if it wasn't yours makes you look like a class act and may prevent further
    trouble from this person.

Shaking my head-- do we have a "smiley" for that?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The other thing to watch is the metal targets, if they don't deflect the projectile down, it is a bad idea.
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    The other thing to watch is the metal targets, if they don't deflect the projectile down, it is a bad idea.
    I engineered all of my steel targets to deflect the rounds down. I use 3/8'' slabs of hardened rated at 600tons for my steel plates. I have them on a hinge system made of 1/4'' steel hanging on a 3/8'' diameter rod. There are stops the the plate will always deflect the rounds down and still swing back to absorb impact. The stops keep it form coming forward to the point where the rounds could be deflected in a direction other than down. I also have a cage to go around it to keep rounds from going to the sides this is made of 1/4'' hardened steel. Never had an issue with anything until we started screwing with this golf ball.

VIP Member
    Thanks for saving me a painful lesson. That sounds like something I would have done, given the opportunity.

VIP Member
    Geez I thought you had a ND or something by the thread title. A freak bounce off of a golf ball is not negligent IMO. It's a freak occurrence.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Proper Etiquette is to yell "FORE"
    BugDude, gunthorp and Hopyard like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

300 yard ricochet...

A hole through the siding...

projectile logged in drywall...

You forgot the 1/2" OSB or Plywood sheathing in betwixt...

And zero expansion...

What weight of 9mm?
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    300 yard ricochet...

A hole through the siding...

projectile logged in drywall...

You forgot the 1/2" OSB or Plywood sheathing in betwixt...

And zero expansion...

What weight of 9mm?
    Federal 115 grain FMJ RN the cheap $11 box of 50 from walmart.

Wow, kind of a scary situation eh? Good thing there wasn't any blood and brain matter on the bullet.

We all have close calls in life, whether it firearms related or something else. The important thing is to learn from those experiences.

I for one am glad you posted this. Implausible as it may sound, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

I doesn't sound like the homeowner had any reason to make it up just to get you to fix some damage he or someone else had done... But even if he did, the fact that bullets ricochets off of golf balls is the lesson to be learned here.

I'm glad no one was injured... And thanks for posting this. It certainly makes me more cognizant of what I use as targets in the future.
    Hopyard likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Did he give you the bullet? Would be interesting for you to examine with a known bullet from your firearms to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Geez I thought you had a ND or something by the thread title. A freak bounce off of a golf ball is not negligent IMO. It's a freak occurrence.
    I consider it negligent because when shooting at something new you should think about what it is and how the projectile could possibly react. Not going to lie I would have probably still shot at it. I know golf balls are relatively hard but I've destroyed them before. I figured the bullet would penetrate no prob. So I would have probably still had this situation even if I had been thinking about it. But I didn't think about it and to me that's a huge mistake.

And yup the whole situation is pretty sketchy. But I have seem some crazy stuff happen. I don't think he has any reason to make anything up. There were other shooters in the general area. One across the road and behind me prob 600 yards from his house but shooting in a direction that could possibly put a round into the house. At that distance not likely. It was most likely a round from my gun. I have seen some pretty crazy stuff happen so I'm not fighting it. As it has been said noone was hurt thankfully and a lesson learned. I lucked out in the fact that I can fix the dmg without cost too so hey kind of a win/win.

@carracer I could have kept it but I had no reason to deny it was me. Far fetched and unbelievable yes but there was no easy answer for it so I owned it. He's not my neighbor I don't care if he's pissed at me. The way I see it though is that it could have been me. There was no one else realistically close to being able to do what happened so it was up to me to make it right. I tossed it back to him and told him to keep it as a souvenir.

Sounds like a double bogey to me.

I've shot lots of golf balls with .22lr and .22 magnum. The .22 mags penetrate. I've never had a deflection issue with them that I am aware, but usually in the middle of a 300 acre farm doing my shooting.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie308 View Post
    I consider it negligent because when shooting at something new you should think about what it is and how the projectile could possibly react. Not going to lie I would have probably still shot at it. I know golf balls are relatively hard but I've destroyed them before. I figured the bullet would penetrate no prob. So I would have probably still had this situation even if I had been thinking about it. But I didn't think about it and to me that's a huge mistake.

And yup the whole situation is pretty sketchy. But I have seem some crazy stuff happen. I don't think he has any reason to make anything up. There were other shooters in the general area. One across the road and behind me prob 600 yards from his house but shooting in a direction that could possibly put a round into the house. At that distance not likely. It was most likely a round from my gun. I have seen some pretty crazy stuff happen so I'm not fighting it. As it has been said noone was hurt thankfully and a lesson learned. I lucked out in the fact that I can fix the dmg without cost too so hey kind of a win/win.

@carracer I could have kept it but I had no reason to deny it was me. Far fetched and unbelievable yes but there was no easy answer for it so I owned it. He's not my neighbor I don't care if he's pissed at me. The way I see it though is that it could have been me. There was no one else realistically close to being able to do what happened so it was up to me to make it right. I tossed it back to him and told him to keep it as a souvenir.
    Hey, you're a stand up guy. Offering to fix the holes and as you said, "owning it" even if in the end, it wasn't your bullet. That's just what responsible people do! Good Job! The angels were on your side, so don't beat yourself up over the negligence. We all learned something here, without anyone getting hurt.
    Hopyard likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links