Very Bad-Local CHL Holder Succumbs to Carelessness - Page 2

Very Bad-Local CHL Holder Succumbs to Carelessness

This is a discussion on Very Bad-Local CHL Holder Succumbs to Carelessness within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; training gun ....failure...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Very Bad-Local CHL Holder Succumbs to Carelessness

training gun ....failure

VIP Member
    It only takes a moment of a lapse of safety to turn into a lifetime of tragedy.
    Adameeski likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I don't understand how waving it in the air can make it go off.

I think he was waving it around and pulled the trigger.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

A CCW doesn't make one immune to thoughtless accidents. As has been pointed out...he made several mistakes. Sorry for his family and especially for his son having to witness this. If anything can be learned from this...it is you can NEVER be too careful when weapons are concerned.
    mcgyver210 and msgt/ret like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    There have been several comments in this thread about pulling the trigger. The article says nothing about the trigger being pulled (typical). It does say something interesting: that he put the magazine in and then closed the slide, saying that this 'chambered another round'. I am missing something here and maybe someone can explain.

1) How did the first round get chambered?
    2)Do Glocks have an issue with discharging when the slide is closed after inserting the magazine?

I thought the mechanism of the Glock are such that it doesn't go off unless the trigger is pulled?

Obviously the guy forgot or ignored the rules and it resulted in tragedy, but I am trying to understand how it happened, which doesn't seem to be correctly stated in the article.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    There have been several comments in this thread about pulling the trigger. The article says nothing about the trigger being pulled (typical). It does say something interesting: that he put the magazine in and then closed the slide, saying that this 'chambered another round'. I am missing something here and maybe someone can explain.

2)Do Glocks have an issue with discharging when the slide is closed after inserting the magazine?

I thought the mechanism of the Glock are such that it doesn't go off unless the trigger is pulled?

Obviously the guy forgot or ignored the rules and it resulted in tragedy, but I am trying to understand how it happened, which doesn't seem to be correctly stated in the article.

I think what the writer is trying to say is that he previously removed the magazine and ejected a round from the chamber, thus clearing it. Then he reinserted the magazine and closed the slide, thus chambering another round - to take the place of the one he originally ejected. Didn't say he pulled the trigger while waving it around, but obviously he did.
    mcgyver210 and msgt/ret like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post

Sounds to me like he ejected the magazine and then ejected the round that was chambered, properly unloading the pistol. Where he messed up was when he put the magazine back in the gun. The magazine was likely loaded and when he closed the slide it stripped a bullet out of the magazine and into the chamber, normal operation of any semi-automatic pistol. GLOCK does not have an issue with discharging when the slide is closed, only the trigger mechanism can discharge the pistol. Now when a round is chambered by releasing the slide lock (release) with a loaded magazine in the pistol the pistol is then cocked and ready to fire. Where he messed up was not realizing he had chambered a round and was foolishly waving the pistol around and pulled the trigger.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    A downside to a Glock can be that short trigger travel distance.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Sounds to me like he did'nt do his job,and the Glock did.

It is ashamed such a tragic outcome with what seems to be show boating. A big reason I have taught my son you can't check/clear a gun enough.

Not something to joke about or take lightly for sure.

As for it being a Glock I was taught never have your finger on trigger unless you intend on pulling it.

Wow......
    Not much to be said about this guy. I feel really bad for his wife and son though. Man prayers need to be said for them. I hate to see anyone who seemed to be a law abiding citizen accidentally take there own life. To err is human, unfortunately the error here caused fatal consequences

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    mcgyver210 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It only takes a moment of a lapse of safety to turn into a lifetime of tragedy.
    A sad story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyver210's comment about showboating rings true. It's ironic that he is dead because he felt some need to display a misguided attempt to show that he was in control of a firearm through "waving it around." Now he's dead for not controlling a firearm. He should have been mature enough to not engage in horseplay.
    mcgyver210 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    A downside to a Glock can be that short trigger travel distance.
    I would call it a good thing, not a 'downside'.
    Rules are rules...keep your finger OFF the trigger.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

mkh
    Sad but completely avoidable if the 4 laws of gun safety were followed and the user understood how his weapon worked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links